cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g72gx problems errrrr.....

redraven_y2k
Level 7
Hi all,
I am a rog newbie so please excuse any errors I may make.
I just received my new used g72gx as a late Xmas present from hubby. HUBBY got it from the pawn shop as is. Anyway it was working fine until I installed my addiction The Sims 3 + eps (I know but I have a God complex) I notice right away crashes, bsod, freezing and when it would boot up it sometimes say no medium and insert boot disc press any key. I know the os is win 7 home but all I have is win 7 pro 32/64 upgrade disc. I insert the disc and try to do a system repair and any other options available but nothing! So I walked away before it got kicked out the front door! This morning I tried again this time it started up no problem but as soon as I clicked on my music play list it worked for 2mins and bsod! It restart and once again no medium! I go to repair but when it gets to option of recovery it says No Hard drive listed and the list is empty!
Things I have done...
upgrade all drivers ( previous owner did a wipe I guess)
Install virus protection "AVG"
I don't know anything other than that about computers history sorry. I wish some smart person would come up with something like car fax. For computers. Oh it also has screen ficker, power supply jack problems, and one of the USB ports shorts out the computer but I put duck tape over it so I don't use it. Sorry for being long winded but I try.
10 REPLIES 10

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Do you see the BSOD long enough to see the error code that comes up? it usually looks like 0x00000

No sorry it flashes by fast.

Now it stays on this black screen that says American megatrend. Than windows error recovery. Start normal or recover . No matter which I choose it keeps restarting itself or just black screen. Oh I have noticed the blinking blue light. For hdd doesn't blink anymore but the fan is spinning.

PILGRIM
Level 11
It could be both software and hardware related-problem. Or it could be either of the two.

If I were in your situation, I would try to troubleshoot it first as hardware-related.
I would turn off the power, remove the power plug and battery, open the laptop
and re-seat the HDD cables, memory modules, and wi-fi card. I would also check for dirt/soot
and do some cleaning if it needs be.

If the problem still persists, I would do a clean install of the Windows OS.
Considering the laptop you have newly acquired is a used one, the OS might
have been corrupted, thus, the inability to function properly. So, it would be a
better option to have a fresh set of Windows OS installed. I assume you still
have the Windows OS Product Key sticker at the bottom of your laptop?
Whatever the Windows version is, you may download a copy of it and activate
it with the product key.

But if you try installing a fresh batch of Windows OS and it still wouldn't load,
you'll know for sure it's a hardware issue. In that case, it could be any thing
like a failed HDD or RAM. Worse, if its the motherboard, GPU, or the CPU..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Unfortunately the sticker is worn . I want to use win 7 pro but I guess that won't work because I used the 32 bit disc for my old vaio desktop 3years ago and I guess it would be end user problems right? I will do what is suggested and keep everyone posted.

Pitcher1
Level 9
could you re-install OS and load new driver download from asus support site to try again? if not help. i think it would be HW problem, you should send back to asus service center to check it.

redraven_y2k
Level 7
I think I have found the problem! This laptop is suppose to have 2 hdd well it has one and it says Toshiba but it looks like it was made for Apple because the is a Apple symbol on it. I will order 2 replacements and go from there. I will keep everyone posted! Oh if anyone thinks that's not the problem please give more input.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

1. The system really should be able to run fine with just 1 hard drive, so you can remove the current hard drive with Windows and try the 'other' one if you have a way to install Windows on it (?). It probably doesn't make sense to go out to buy any hard drive replacements (which will be blank anyway) if you have a second hard drive you can use since we don't expect both hard drives to be bad.
I'm wondering if you have a way to reinstall Windows though, so you might want to check the memory as mentioned further below first.
I'm guessing Apple uses standard notebook hard drives too, so this probably is not the problem unless it just happens to be defective.

2. If you or someone else can safely remove any extra memory modules (it may run slower, but hopefully you can catch any bad memory sticks through the process of elimination), you may want to try this later too.

3. Finally as far as the BSODs go, Win7 has a setting to stop it from automatically rebooting.
Sorry about not including a screenshot, but go to Control Panel/System and Security/System/'Advanced' tab/Startup and Recovery to uncheck the 'Automatically restart' option under the System failure section and you should be able to see any error codes next time the bluescreen appears.

If you prefer and didn't already know, you can also send in the unit to ASUS for out-of-warranty service.

Good luck!

redraven_y2k
Level 7
I know it has been a while busy with family.
here is the update.....
I needed a new hdd because the old one was corrupt. I brought new install disk from asus but whomever had the laptop before upgrade a different win 7 and I got the dreaded red x so it was a paper weight for a week. I took it to my tech guy and he installed the new hdd and win8 so I am some what happy. Problem is now since installing win8 I have lose use of some functions like overclock and the other buttons at the top I can live with it I guess. I tryed to fix that screen flix issue but now my screen just goes white. oh well might upgrade once my student loan is posted. Hope this update helps.