cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the GX501 underglow lights?

VixusFoxy
Level 8
Hi there.

Simple question; how do I disable the red underglow lighting visible while charging without sticking tape over the diodes on my GX501?
There's gotta be a way, right?
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

Stumme
Level 7
There has to be. I won't be able to play on my laptop where I'm going to be living all next year if not. The lights are incredibly bright in a dark room. Imagine trying to sleep in a room where bright red lights are shining in your face. It's obnoxious and entirely unnecessary. Does nothing for the laptop.

I searched for a way and found nothing. I cut out tiny pieces of electrical tape and used thin tweezers to cover the LEDs. Works great now.

I did notice that when the laptop is on battery power, those bright red LEDs will turn off automatically, so it is related to battery/power settings, however, looking into the advanced power settings I did not find one that would turn it on or off. I also would like to have the option to turn it off/on. Seems like it should be doable.

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
They should include a toggle or some setting in ROG gaming center for that. Not everyone like the light tho!

bugme-not
Level 7
Is there anything new regarding this topic?

I also got my GX501 and want to switch off the LEDs

Washy1
Level 7
VixusFoxy wrote:
Hi there.

Simple question; how do I disable the red underglow lighting visible while charging without sticking tape over the diodes on my GX501?
There's gotta be a way, right?

The GX501 comes with a program called ROG Aura Core. Search for that in Windows, open it, and turn off the option called "Aero Light". Done.

Really don't know why Asus hasn't chimed in or made this more obvious. It's easy to do once you know where to look, but took me ages to find and disable as well. Such a pointless and annoying light.