cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zephyrus g15 3070 low fps in games absurd vs hp omen

GreyWind007
Level 8
This is the situation:
* I have the Asus G15 with 3070(80-100w) graphics and 5900HS processor.
*My friend has the HP Omen 15 with 3060(80w) graphics and 5800H processor.

We mostly play dota 2 at 1440p. He gets 110ish fps dips into the 100s when intense fights. I get 80fps dipping into 60s when intense fights.
EXACT same graphics configuration for the game. Drivers are all up to date with nvidia and AMD. Armory crate gives basically same fps ranges with either Performance or Turbo. Tinkered with processor power management and still same low and sad fps. I used dota example here but this is the same with other games also.
WHAT IS GOING ON??? I paid 1800 dollars for this laptop and he paid 1000 for his and beats me all around in games???. This is so depressing. I love the ASUS chassis but this laptop is giving me so many headaches already, plus my processor is always reaching like 90C in dota 2. srsly?. i don't know if this is bad pasting limiting my rig because of thermals but this is just absurd. i held ASUS in such high steem and this is just plain pathetic. If anyone has any lights on this issue help would be appreciated. Ty.

UPDATE #1 6/9

So i opened up the laptop and what i found was a really bad job of liquid metal application. Half the die didn't have it on. So since i don't have Liquid metal available at the moment what i did was spread in a better fashion what was already applied, but as u can see in the pictures there was so much spillage that i am actually impressed there hasn't been a shorted circuit already, specially with the guard not correctly placed. By moving the LM i managed to bring down the temperatures of the processor to 88C while playing Dota, so it is not thermally throttling anymore.
This has given me about 15 more consistent fps in dota in comparison to before the fix. I also changed the GPU thermal paste to TG Kryonaut which i had available, but this has actually increased the GPU max temp to 80C during the same game of Dota. My thermal paste was a little bit old so i don't know if that is the reason, or if it is the CPU pushing more heat to the pipes not allowing the GPU to be as cool as it was before. I've seen much better numbers from other ppl ( 70ish CPU and 60ish GPU) with proper repasting of the LM and thermal paste so might be trying that once i get my hands on some Conductonaut. Still not impressed with factory work. see for yourself.

also after cleaning the factory thermal paste from the GPU copper heatsink, this stain was left behind and i was not able to remove it.
12 REPLIES 12

Malaghan
Level 9
Just a question. Is your friend using DLSS to increase his framerates at the 1440p resolution? If he is upscaling from a lower resolution and you are not, that could account for the difference.

Malaghan wrote:
Just a question. Is your friend using DLSS to increase his framerates at the 1440p resolution? If he is upscaling from a lower resolution and you are not, that could account for the difference.

there is no dlss for dota 2. he is just using max graphic settings, no shortcuts. i believe it is the temperature problem that is bringing this low performance, will update when troubleshot.

updated original thread.