cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zephyrus G15 3070 2021 what happened with the fingerprint reader??????? - solved

GreyWind007
Level 8
Ok. i've been only using windows 11 for the past couple of months with no other issues besides the well-known latency with audio and stuttering probably related to fTPM but, decided to install windows 10 on a secondary drive i had installed on the laptop to see how it would perform in comparison.

It all seemed to be going just fine during driver installation up till the point when the MyAsus app recommended this "keyboard firmware critical update", this update had never appeared before on my windows11 MyAsus app but nonetheless decided to install it with the w10 installation. Then when i tried to configure the fingerprint reader on windows 10 it was telling me no fingerprint reader was detected.

i switched to windows 11 on the other drive and realized it was not working there either.
I decided to FORMAT the PC and delete all partitions to avoid doing any troubleshooting but still same problem. Now the fingerprint reader does not work with any of the attempts i've made of reinstalling the software, and doing the troubleshooting Asus recommends. Has anybody experienced this issue?.

I'll attach some screenshots.

11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
Have you tried installing the touchpad driver from the product support page?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Have you tried installing the touchpad driver from the product support page?

the touchpad driver and fingerprint sensor are 2 different things, the fingerprint sensor on this laptop is in the power on button. But will try.

EDIT: this didn't work.

xeromist
Ah, I was hoping maybe it was tucked into one of the other driver packages. Based on the hardware code I'm wondering if it attempted a firmware update and failed during the process. That would definitely suck.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

but the keyboard works just fine. is it there a way to patch through with another firmware update for the keyboard that is not corrupted or something??? i don't seem to find any firmware online to do this.

xeromist wrote:
Ah, I was hoping maybe it was tucked into one of the other driver packages. Based on the hardware code I'm wondering if it attempted a firmware update and failed during the process. That would definitely suck.

but the keyboard works just fine. is it there a way to patch through with another firmware update for the keyboard that is not corrupted or something??? i don't seem to find any firmware online to do this.

xeromist
Like you said, the fingerprint reader is not the keyboard so unless ASUS is bundling those two hardware devices an update for the keyboard won't do anything. ASUS *used* to have a driver package that handled several of the laptop interface components in one go but that was many generations ago. My suggestion was a shot in the dark, really.

It's possible ASUS may not have a self-published driver for the fingerprint reader. It might just rely on the drivers already built into Windows.

xeromist wrote:
Like you said, the fingerprint reader is not the keyboard so unless ASUS is bundling those two hardware devices an update for the keyboard won't do anything. ASUS *used* to have a driver package that handled several of the laptop interface components in one go but that was many generations ago. My suggestion was a shot in the dark, really.

It's possible ASUS may not have a self-published driver for the fingerprint reader. It might just rely on the drivers already built into Windows.

right. but following your logic this can't be a driver issue, since the fingerprint reader worked just fine before this random keyboard firmware update on w10, not even w11. after i did a clean install if it was a driver issue this should not be happening at all but it is persistant. i guess i will just have to rma it.

Hello dear ones, I managed to find a solution to the problem of the fingerprint reader.

1. Enable the hidden view of the device manager.
2. Uninstall fingerprint reader driver (check the box shown).
3. download the driver from the official ROG website and install it.
4. Restart the pc.

P.D. the startup error with windows 11 updates

I HOPE THIS OPTION WORKS FOR YOU

AxelNR wrote:
Hello dear ones, I managed to find a solution to the problem of the fingerprint reader.

1. Enable the hidden view of the device manager.
2. Uninstall fingerprint reader driver (check the box shown).
3. download the driver from the official ROG website and install it.
4. Restart the pc.

P.D. the startup error with windows 11 updates

I HOPE THIS OPTION WORKS FOR YOU

\
what rog drivers are u refering to exactly?