cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus S17 GX703 frame drops, HELP NEEDED

pitha1337
Level 7
Hello,

I have the ASUS GX703 with QHD display and when playing games I have big frame drops from time to time. My temperatures for CPU and GPU are fine (CPU 60-80°C and GPU 75°C). I have also disabled adavanced optimus and use the dedicated graphics mode only.

Sometimes the games run as I expect them to run. Everything is so smooth and another time it feels like I have 70% of the device performance...and it is stuttering in all games. Mostly games which depend on CPU and GPU.

Unfortunately you can not monitor the temperatures of the VRAM on a notebook. I wonder if they are overheating...

Someone has similar problems?

All in all this device seems to be a bit buggy. CPU performs very strange some times. Seems to be something wrong with PL1 and PL2 states... can't really figure out what the problem is.
13 REPLIES 13

Jimbo93
Level 12
pitha1337 wrote:
Hello,

I have the ASUS GX703 with QHD display and when playing games I have big frame drops from time to time. My temperatures for CPU and GPU are fine (CPU 60-80°C and GPU 75°C). I have also disabled adavanced optimus and use the dedicated graphics mode only.

Sometimes the games run as I expect them to run. Everything is so smooth and another time it feels like I have 70% of the device performance...and it is stuttering in all games. Mostly games which depend on CPU and GPU.

Unfortunately you can not monitor the temperatures of the VRAM on a notebook. I wonder if they are overheating...

Someone has similar problems?

All in all this device seems to be a bit buggy. CPU performs very strange some times. Seems to be something wrong with PL1 and PL2 states... can't really figure out what the problem is.

Suggestion is not specific to any device, had you considered testing the memory reliability with a flash drive that is bootable? There is one free tool called memtest86 and can be put on a flash drive.

pitha1337
Level 7
Hi, thank for your reply. I have tested with the suggested tool and everything passed without any errors. Seems to be okay! The RAM is CL22... could be faster but should not be responsible for the FPS drops. What concerns me is how ASUS handles the PL1 and PL2 limits of the intel Core i9 11900H. HWINFO says PL1 90W and PL2 135W (Armoury Crate Turbo Mode). Sometimes it just does not work... the CPU hovers at 60W max in Cinebench R23. When I reboot it runs at 118W and 4,4Ghz in Cinebench. Which results in 10.000 points vs. 14.500 points. I have the feeling this causes the issues in Games, but really don't what triggers this behaviour.

pitha1337
Level 7
Here a Cinebench R23 after a fresh reboot. -60mV on CPU! Looks perfekt, but as I mentioned this changes after some time...

pitha1337
Level 7
So here is what I found out regarding the FPS drops. I have used Furmark to test the GPU. And with this program I could reproduce the issue.

In performance mode everything is fine because GPU has no OC on memory. With Turbo mode the GPU gets 75Mhz on Core and 125Mhz on memory OC. When Turbo Mode was activated the Furmark test was stuttering instantly.

So I set both values to 0 (non OC on GPU) with MSI Afterburner and the issue is gone. Afterwards I was curios and OC on core is working well, but OC on GPU memory produced instant stuttering. Will keep an eye on this in real life games. Maybe this could be my solution.

pitha1337 wrote:
So here is what I found out regarding the FPS drops. I have used Furmark to test the GPU. And with this program I could reproduce the issue.

In performance mode everything is fine because GPU has no OC on memory. With Turbo mode the GPU gets 75Mhz on Core and 125Mhz on memory OC. When Turbo Mode was activated the Furmark test was stuttering instantly.

So I set both values to 0 (non OC on GPU) with MSI Afterburner and the issue is gone. Afterwards I was curios and OC on core is working well, but OC on GPU memory produced instant stuttering. Will keep an eye on this in real life games. Maybe this could be my solution.

Not sure about hardware support for it, is it nvidia gpu? I have started using the performance tuning that comes with GeForce experience to tune my gpu. Alt-z - performance and enable performance tuning wait for it to complete. I am satisfied with it.

pitha1337
Level 7
Yes it is an NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop with 16GB VRAM and 140W. Don`t know why the GPU acts like this if you put some extra Mhz on the GPU memory. I will try the NVIDIA performance tuning now, thx for the info.

pitha1337 wrote:
Yes it is an NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop with 16GB VRAM and 140W. Don`t know why the GPU acts like this if you put some extra Mhz on the GPU memory. I will try the NVIDIA performance tuning now, thx for the info.

Nice equipment. Let us know how it goes. You might need to set other gpu controls in other software to "Automatic", or the Nvidia tuner might handle it by itself.

Hi
Any progress in finding out the source for stutters?
I have myself concluded that it should have something to do with Armoury Crates messing with power somehow.
I didnt know that Turbo Mode OC'd the GPU
I will test later if changing the memory clock back to zero OC will make it better.
Have you been able to crack the code for this mysterious behavior..?

polyh3dron
Level 9
With my previous GX703-XB98 I never experienced this at all and I'm about to get a replacement since the repair department doesn't know how to not break laptops they work on. Hoping this isn't a silicon lottery related thing that rears its head with my replacement I'm getting in a couple days, but I will be testing it out now that I've been made aware.

UPDATE: My replacement seemed to exhibit this, but I believe it was because it was in Armoury Crate's Performance Mode. Switch to Turbo and it's silky smooth, getting 100-ish FPS in Warzone at 1440p with DLSS in performance mode. Loud as all get out, but that's to be expected with such a high performance laptop with this form factor, I guess.

Now I need to figure how to get this thing to go to sleep reliably and recover without a black screen. Aside from that it's great.