cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GU502GV - constant Current/EDP Limit Throttling / low FPS in VR

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Hi folks,

I can't seem to find a solution / explanation for the following issues I'm experiencing on my brand-new GU502GV (RTX 2060 / i7-9750H / 16 GB RAM:

- Constant Current / EDP Limit Throttling (according to Intel XTU, no "thermal-limits" reached)
- Very low FPS in VR (both Oculus Home / Unity / SteamVR)

I've been using the GL502VMK for more than two years, was able to run VR just fine.
Now that I've spent nearly $2k for an RTX2060-based-system I'm pretty disappointed to say the least...

Is there some sort of a fix / workaround for these issues or am I the only one experiencing these limits on the GU502GV?

Already tried the following (but to no avail):
- New OS-install / Driver-updates
- BIOS-Update (307)
- BIOS-Downgrade (306)
- Disable Turbo Boost (ThrottleStop)

I'd appreciate any input / feedback.

Best regards & thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
ATLANTICA_NFS wrote:
I might just have found the actual bottleneck regarding VR-performance...
As the Rift S comes w/ DisplayPort (MiniDP-Adapter) only, I'm using a USB-C to DP-adapter.

Checked NVIDIA Control Panel a minute ago:

I assume the USB-C-port is "hard-wired" to the Intel-Graphics-Chipset, not the RTX 2060, hence the render-lags?
Would someone know / be able to confirm this?

Is your screenshot above showing just the notebook screen with no external monitors connected and can you check or provide another screenshot when the RIft S is connected through the type-C output?

You can also connect an external monitor through the type-C connection and check the information in the Nvidia display properties as well as Intel display properties to see which graphics chip it's connected to.

If you find any of the display outputs are hardwired to Intel graphics and want to go through the trouble of running a benchmark, compare the scores to get more confirmation that different graphics chips are being utilitized, but the screenshot above seems to indicate that both the HDMI output and display port/type-C output are running off the Nvidia graphics, so want to make sure you checked this thoroughly.

===========================

Expecting your HDMI output is hardwired to the Nvidia graphics though (and hopefully your type C display output, but your feedback seems to indicate this is not the case although would like to get more confirmation of this from you), so check this too (you should notice your HDMI monitor doesn't appear under the Intel graphics settings, but appears under the Nvidia display settings).

cl-Albert wrote:
Is your screenshot above showing just the notebook screen with no external monitors connected and can you check or provide another screenshot when the RIft S is connected through the type-C output?

You can also connect an external monitor through the type-C connection and check the information in the Nvidia display properties as well as Intel display properties to see which graphics chip it's connected to.

If you find any of the display outputs are hardwired to Intel graphics and want to go through the trouble of running a benchmark, compare the scores to get more confirmation that different graphics chips are being utilitized, but the screenshot above seems to indicate that both the HDMI output and display port/type-C output are running off the Nvidia graphics, so want to make sure you checked this thoroughly.

===========================

Expecting your HDMI output is hardwired to the Nvidia graphics though (and hopefully your type C display output, but your feedback seems to indicate this is not the case although would like to get more confirmation of this from you), so check this too (you should notice your HDMI monitor doesn't appear under the Intel graphics settings, but appears under the Nvidia display settings).

Hi @cl-albert,
Thanks a lot for your feedback - really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I can't run the proposed screen-test but I did find the following entry in device-manager:

I guess this confirms that the USB-C / DP-port is indeed "hard-wired" to the RTX 2060 in some way (so I guess that's good news)...
EDIT: Disabled both devices - Oculus still working. So I guess those are just "default RTX-onboard-controllers"... 😞

I'm currently trying to update / change the USB-Controller-drivers (transfer-speeds etc.), also tried different ports already (Gen1 / Gen2) but to no avail.

Best regards & thanks again!

ATLANTICA_NFS
Level 8
Good news regarding USB-C -> DP - see screenshot attached.

Edit by cl-Albert 3/30/20: Hope you don't mind if I replied inside your post, but looks good and thanks for the update.

unclewebb
Level 10
Your CPU is using Core C7 like it should be. It looks like the Package is being limited to C3. That is not ideal for power consumption but is pretty typical. Your CPU supports package C8 but it seems that many manufacturers turn this power saving feature off deliberately or it gets limited to package C2 or package C3 accidentally by a poorly programmed driver. Core C7 is the important one.

When a CPU is idle, cores can spend up to 99% of their time in the C7 state. If your screenshot was when your computer was idle, have a look for any programs running in the background that do not need to be running all of the time. Getting rid of background fluff is an easy way to improve performance.