cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

I have a GL502VS with original hardware. I was able to update to 1803 successfully by following the method of turning the laptop off at every restart during the installation process. I also used the upgrade tool rather than doing it through Windows Update, not sure if that had any part in the success. I had already tried disabling SMART Self Test and Secure Boot in BIOS with no success. I don't seem to have any issues with restarting as was reported by others previously in this thread.

Real bummer that ASUS is not pushing an SSD firmware update or a new BIOS update to prevent this issue. Very bad product support. They are also dropping the ball with other ASUS products I use, like the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard. No BIOS update in ages and there are some annoying issues there that are easily fixable. Very unlikely to buy anything from ASUS ever again.

Edit: Well, I feel stupid. ASUS actually updated the Z10PE-D16 WS BIOS just a few days ago. Should have checked before complaining. But it did take AGES to push that microcode update.

msymeonides wrote:
I have a GL502VS with original hardware. I was able to update to 1803 successfully by following the method of turning the laptop off at every restart during the installation process. I also used the upgrade tool rather than doing it through Windows Update, not sure if that had any part in the success. I had already tried disabling SMART Self Test and Secure Boot in BIOS with no success. I don't seem to have any issues with restarting as was reported by others previously in this thread.

Real bummer that ASUS is not pushing an SSD firmware update or a new BIOS update to prevent this issue. Very bad product support. They are also dropping the ball with other ASUS products I use, like the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard. No BIOS update in ages and there are some annoying issues there that are easily fixable. Very unlikely to buy anything from ASUS ever again.

Could you please elaborate?
As in how did you turn it off .. Is it like before it could reach the Asus logo on restart you pressed power button? Press and hold or simple press?

ajsupahiya wrote:
Could you please elaborate?
As in how did you turn it off .. Is it like before it could reach the Asus logo on restart you pressed power button? Press and hold or simple press?

Sure. Every time I saw that the laptop was about to restart (you can tell because the screen goes blank and the keyboard backlight flickers off and on) I long-pressed the power button until the laptop powered off. I waited 5 seconds, and powered it back on, and it automatically progressed through the rest of the installation. Eventually I got back into the OS and it was updated successfully.

msymeonides wrote:
Sure. Every time I saw that the laptop was about to restart (you can tell because the screen goes blank and the keyboard backlight flickers off and on) I long-pressed the power button until the laptop powered off. I waited 5 seconds, and powered it back on, and it automatically progressed through the rest of the installation. Eventually I got back into the OS and it was updated successfully.

Will give it a go.
And about the BIOS update, how did you installed it?

EDIT: Tried it a few times but nothing 😞

msymeonides wrote:

Signed up just to say that this method worked for me (also while using the update tool). Thanks msymeonides.

I was finally able to upgrade to 1803 through a bit of everything in this thread, and finally just gave in and did a Complete wipe/Fresh install via USB by way of MCT. Now my keyboard and touchpad don't work. I'm stuck using an external keyboard and mouse for now. Newest BIOS, ATK, Intel drivers. Touchpad driver is the only thing that doesn't install. The installer gets about 90% done then I receive a "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor" error.

Asus support says I'm more or less SOL because I am out of warranty and will have to send it in for a diagnostic fee and cost of repair (estimated $400+)

Forgot to mention that ever since the update, the touchpad stops working after a reboot or coming back from hibernate... I have to disable and enable the device in Device Manager every time to get it working again.

totoguy wrote:
Signed up just to say that this method worked for me (also while using the update tool). Thanks msymeonides.

I second that! And signed up for the same reason. After couple of months of depression and despair I found this post and managed to update with turn off method. Thanks guys, you're awesome! G752VS

Paolomania
Level 7
Still haven't been able to get this installed. I tried the "disable VT-D in BIOS" technique that I've seen around various sites and it got way further than I've been able to get before, but eventually hung and reverted after restart.

BlackOrchid
Level 8
Hey all, so after struggling with this issue for quite a while, I managed to get it fixed with Microsoft's support. I'm graduating and got almost my entire project locally on my laptop, so fresh install wasn't an option for me. I contacted them, and did a chat with remote control, they changed some stuff in the registry (after a few failed installations i.e. This thread) and after the changes they made, downloaded the windows 10 iso and installed it with "keep all files and apps" option. I'm on the new update now. Hope this will help someone.