cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

Walcott269 wrote:
I have an ASUS ROG GL502VY equiped with the a 256 GB "NVMe Samsung MZVPv256" SSD and a 2 TB hard drive. This is a new laptop I bought almost a month ago and I am having the issue discussed in this thread as well, where the creators update fails during the updating process after the first boot and windows starts restoring the previous version.

I went to Asus's physical support location in my country and the only thing they did was just resetting the windows to factory settings and performing some hardware tests, nothing has changed. When I talked to the technician who worked on the laptop he just said "Sir, why do you need to update? the laptop is performing well. just wait and the update will come automatically" which shows complete unawareness/ignorance of the issue even though I demonstrated the problem in front of his eyes. After a long discussion, we ended by him saying "we can only offer hardware support, third party software issues is not our problem".

I also contacted Microsoft's live chat support 4 times and got help from 4 different technicians, we tried various ways to install creators update including clean installation, media creation tool, USB.. All of them failed, windows started restoring previous versions after the first boot always. This was like a dead end for me, neither Asus nor Microsoft could solve the problem.

Then I found this thread and I believe the reasons the guys stated (SSD & BIOS) are the potential reason behind the problem, however I will not disable the smart boot option in the bios, at least for a while. I will wait for some time maybe the issue will be fixed.

This is my second Asus laptop. I really liked the first one, and I don't want this one to be the last. Please ASUS fix this problem as soon as possible.

If your laptop is hopefully still within a store return period, return it and get something else. The best way to make them care is to hit them in the wallet. I wish I had that option.

ithorien wrote:
If your laptop is hopefully still within a store return period, return it and get something else. The best way to make them care is to hit them in the wallet. I wish I had that option.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work, because most companies in my country allow 7 to 14 days to return goods.

In addition to the update problem, I am not sure but I think I have another problem with the 2TB hard drive as well. It does not run steadily, instead it runs for a few seconds then it completely stops. So whenever I need to open anything stored on it, it always have to start running and I wait for a few seconds so the hard drive is fully running until the file is opened. It is more like plugging in and out an external hard drive each time you want use a file on it. Its not the first time I use a laptop or a hard drive, I know how hard drives supposed to work.

I am doing video editing and this annoys me as hell. When I play a video, stored on the hard drive, in the video editor, it plays for about 30 seconds then stops for a few seconds for the hard drive to start spinning again and load the next part of the video.

The thing is I am not sure what the source of the problem might be, is it a hard drive fault? or some instructions that need to be changed/updated from the windows/driver?

Bahz, to reproduce it is really easy. Take a GL502VS with the stock 256G Samsung SSD, and attempt to install the WIndows 10 Creator's Update (from April). It will pass all tests, and attempt to install. Then when the 2nd reboot occurs, it fails and Windows reverts back to the Anniversary Edition of Win10. If you then turn off SMART in the BIOS, it will take the install no problem. This is a really simple thing to reproduce, the fix I am sure is not so simple. Although it really could be, either fix the issue with firmware or a BIOS tweak, or replace everyone's SSDs with a off-the-shelf replacement. I don't understand why this is so tough for ASUS to wrap their heads around.

Bahz wrote:
An update: we haven't been able to replicate the issue exactly to what people on this thread have described because the test results were pass. Our teams are currently in communication with Samsung regarding to this issue.

ssbob98 wrote:
Bahz, to reproduce it is really easy. Take a GL502VS with the stock 128G Samsung SSD, and attempt to install the WIndows 10 Creator's Update (from April). It will pass all tests, and attempt to install. Then when the 2nd reboot occurs, it fails and Windows reverts back to the Anniversary Edition of Win10. If you then turn off SMART in the BIOS, it will take the install no problem. This is a really simple thing to reproduce, the fix I am sure is not so simple. Although it really could be, either fix the issue with firmware or a BIOS tweak, or replace everyone's SSDs with a off-the-shelf replacement. I don't understand why this is so tough for ASUS to wrap their heads around.

This also happens for the 256GB model (SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL, firmware version BXW7300Q).

Bahz
Level 12
I'm not sure the exact details of the testing but they showed results that all the tests passed and even the system was also rebooting without issues. They are working with Samsung on a solution for this issue if determined to be hardware related. I'll continue to follow up and provide updates when available.

Bahz wrote:
I'm not sure the exact details of the testing but they showed results that all the tests passed and even the system was also rebooting without issues. They are working with Samsung on a solution for this issue if determined to be hardware related. I'll continue to follow up and provide updates when available.

Bahz, I get the failure every time I reboot (my specs are earlier in the thread.) Are there log files or anything that we can provide to help you?

Bahz wrote:

I have three friends with the same laptop - all are facing the same probelm. None of them could install Creators update without tweaking the Bios setting.

CPU fans will go full speed 25,500 RPM and stay there.
no matter the load (3%) or temp (45*)

This happened after a failed Windows Creator Update,
Is this related?

Frosti7 wrote:
CPU fans will go full speed 25,500 RPM and stay there.
no matter the load (3%) or temp (45*)

This happened after a failed Windows Creator Update,
Is this related?

Mine does that now every boot after installing the creators update using the BIOS tweak method (SMART = off), but it settles down after 30 seconds or so, or if I restart it again. Odd behavior.

If they don't get this resolved soon, I'd urge everyone in the US with the issue to consult a lawyer and speak to them about the Warranty Act; it will be considered a lemon if Asus can't get this fixed, as our products are not working as advertised, and therefore eligible for a refund under the lawsuit.