cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

Bahz
Level 12
I don't think the intention is to blame the users, it's more so of they tested that default configuration did pass the RS2 upgrade requirement. I'll pass the feedback over to our team and will await their reply. Thanks.

Bahz wrote:
I don't think the intention is to blame the users, it's more so of they tested that default configuration did pass the RS2 upgrade requirement. I'll pass the feedback over to our team and will await their reply. Thanks.

Then I really don't know how is that possible. I have a GL502VM with SSD and I had a problem from the day one on black screen issues on Windows startup (similar to what other users on this forum are experiencing) and, after Windows Creators Update Install (which required the disable SMART trick), I also have issues on accessing the "alternative" start-up (e.g. safe boot) options (once I restart and select the startup option at the menu the computer hangs on the ROG logo forcing me to press the power button to hard reset the system). Of course the system is updated with latest bios, drivers etc.

To me all these problems seem related to the SSD, this is why Asus should do something about it; it is unacceptable that a laptop of this price range has such problems. Thanks

landi.andrea wrote:
Then I really don't know how is that possible. I have a GL502VM with SSD and I had a problem from the day one on black screen issues on Windows startup (similar to what other users on this forum are experiencing) and, after Windows Creators Update Install (which required the disable SMART trick), I also have issues on accessing the "alternative" start-up (e.g. safe boot) options (once I restart and select the startup option at the menu the computer hangs on the ROG logo forcing me to press the power button to hard reset the system). Of course the system is updated with latest bios, drivers etc.

To me all these problems seem related to the SSD, this is why Asus should do something about it; it is unacceptable that a laptop of this price range has such problems. Thanks

From what I understand the Creators Update has caused issues for a lot of other devices, our team will continue to look into this and offer a solution soon. I will continue to follow up on this and will update everyone once I hear back from them.

Bahz wrote:
From what I understand the Creators Update has caused issues for a lot of other devices, our team will continue to look into this and offer a solution soon. I will continue to follow up on this and will update everyone once I hear back from them.

For what its worth I have a GL502VM that came with a 1TB HDD option. Having installed a Samsung (retail) Evo 950 256Gb NVMe SSD as a boot drive, and reinstalling Windows to that drive, I have had no issues with installing or using the Creators update. That said, I did install the Samsung drivers for the SSD and updated its firmware using Samsung Magician. So its possible that the firmware upgrade or the Samsung drivers are important to this issue.

filbee wrote:
For what its worth I have a GL502VM that came with a 1TB HDD option. Having installed a Samsung (retail) Evo 950 256Gb NVMe SSD as a boot drive, and reinstalling Windows to that drive, I have had no issues with installing or using the Creators update. That said, I did install the Samsung drivers for the SSD and updated its firmware using Samsung Magician. So its possible that the firmware upgrade or the Samsung drivers are important to this issue.

Thanks, this information is useful for us.

Bahz wrote:
Thanks, this information is useful for us.

Samsung drivers didn't change anything for me. My gl502vm came already with SSD installed (I can't check right now but I believe it's the 951, targeting only the OEM market) and no firmware upgrades are available on Samsung website as it's not a retail product. That's why ASUS and Samsung should coordinate to solve the issue. Thanks.

ajsupahiya
Level 7
Definitely SSD problem. Please release the firmware soon. I am on GL502vs and I dont want to update by changing my BIOS default settings.

Confirming the SMART trick did the trick for CU

davemon50
Level 11
W10 is harassing me non-stop with this Creators update. I can't go 3 hours of computing without it forcing me to look at the updates that include it. Once Windows even locked everything else up except to accept the update, I had to do a reboot to get rid of the window. So I downloaded the MS utility that allows me to hide updates for W10, which would take CU out of the update list. I might have to use that utility, or just bite the bullet and do the stinking update. All these horror stories so I'm still holding on. Anyone else experiencing this and still holding out?
Davemon50

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will be released in about two months, and we still don't have a real solution to this ~4 months old problem.

A workaround has been known for about 2-3 months (no thanks to neither ASUS nor Microsoft), and yet it seems that other than passing the blame around, no one has come and said: "Ah, if turning off SMART in the BIOS does the job, then the problem is ___ and the solution is ___".

So right now I've a brand new laptop that cost me money I barely have, discharges when plugged in, and freezes when trying to install a major update. What's going to be the official reply on this issue? "After further internal discussion, a solution unfortunately can’t be offered due to us simply not caring about our customers. Peace."

Seriously, two major issues with a laptop I have since the beginning of March. Can I get my money back, please?