cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

bluecolor_bros wrote:
Dear Brothers,

I am a user of GL502VS-DB71.
The Insider Program started updating 1803, but it could not be installed simply by disabling Smart setting.
The laptop stopped on the boot screen as usual.
I got angry like a fire, and I could installed it when I disabled all the functions of the BIOS as much as possible.
I hope that this information will be useful to someone.

That's true.
SMART disabling does not seems to work on latest Spring Creators Update 1803.
I think I will just defer the updates from now on.
Asus GL502VS, with 256GB Samsung NVME, 1TB HDD, 32 Gb ram.

Vavery wrote:
That's true.
SMART disabling does not seems to work on latest Spring Creators Update 1803.
I think I will just defer the updates from now on.

have you tried posting your problem at answers.microsoft.com or at social.technet.microsoft.com ? both of these are official microsoft forums for w10 users. I have tried all troubleshooting steps. Only a CLEAN install works for me. from 1607 to 1709 (clean install). Upgrading to 1803 via windows update went on smoothly.

kingKAI wrote:
have you tried posting your problem at answers.microsoft.com or at social.technet.microsoft.com ? both of these are official microsoft forums for w10 users. I have tried all troubleshooting steps. Only a CLEAN install works for me. from 1607 to 1709 (clean install). Upgrading to 1803 via windows update went on smoothly.

Just a question. You stil use the original NVMe Samsung SM951 MZVPV... wich came with the laptop or you have change it. Mine is the original one and it uses Microsoft drivers. It seems to me that the issue is somewere there so I intent to change it for a 960 EVO which has better support from Samsung.
If somebody here has done it already I would appreciate sharing the experience and results.
Asus GL502VS, with 256GB Samsung NVME, 1TB HDD, 32 Gb ram.

Vavery wrote:
Just a question. You stil use the original NVMe Samsung SM951 MZVPV... wich came with the laptop or you have change it. Mine is the original one and it uses Microsoft drivers. It seems to me that the issue is somewere there so I intent to change it for a 960 EVO which has better support from Samsung.
If somebody here has done it already I would appreciate sharing the experience and results.

My ASUS ROG GL502VT 2016 came with a 1 TB HDD. i had to buy a NEW samsung EVO SSD. Ive used PARAGON software to migrate my OS from HDD to SSD. according to some forum gurus at answers.microsoft.com, this could have been the caused especially for a major upgrade. (1703 ot 1709). Per se, microsoft dont like having the PARENT OS present when upgrading. The OS gets confused on start up. Anyway had no problem on regular 1607 updates EXCEPT on 1703 or 1709. Thus I did the ff:

1. save personal files from HDD
2. remove HDD
3. CLEAN INSTALLED using a USB boot. (deleted all partitions in my SSD)
4. Viola, running on 1709.
5. After, I reformatted my HDD. and installed in back again.
6. MAy 1, 1803 pops out. No issues or problems on upgrading from 1709 to 1803.

Btw, i have tried all microsoft tips and tricks on windows update trouble shooting. doesnt work. seems the cause was my PARENT OS at HDD.

hope this helps

Has anyone attempted updating Windows 10 from Home to Pro to see if this might resolve the seemingly endless update problem?

I have got rid of the issue by disabling Secure boot in BIOS. here

Onager wrote:
Same issue here, also on a GL502VS. I don't know if it's related, but the latest NVIDIA drivers also state they can't find any compatible hardware.

378.92 is the latest that supports GL502VS. You must be trying 381.65 which does not support GL502VS. I went into the same trap.

BurlaMatto
Level 7
Doesn't work on gl502vs,same story "no compatibile hardware"

It has been said multiple times in this thread that you have to mod the inf and install the driver with driver singature enforcement disabled.

http://null-bin.blogspot.de/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

If you do not want to do that wait for the next WHQL driver which wuill fix the issue.

So I'm trying the INF hotfix but I can't find the GPU hardware ID from the device manager's hardware ID value (1BE1) anywhere in the INF, so I can't match the section number to anything.

Anyone know what I should be looking for?

The key I got from my GPU ID in Device Manager was PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1&SUBSYS_14701043, and according to the article the GPU ID is 1BE1. That value is nowhere to be found in the INF as a section number.