cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

BlackOrchid wrote:
Hey all, so after struggling with this issue for quite a while, I managed to get it fixed with Microsoft's support. I'm graduating and got almost my entire project locally on my laptop, so fresh install wasn't an option for me. I contacted them, and did a chat with remote control, they changed some stuff in the registry (after a few failed installations i.e. This thread) and after the changes they made, downloaded the windows 10 iso and installed it with "keep all files and apps" option. I'm on the new update now. Hope this will help someone.

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Did they provide you any details of what they changed in the registry?

Or even how you contacted them specifically (what email/number/webpage to contact them through)? And when you did talk to them, how did you convince them to do the remote desktop session considering this isn't a new laptop within warranty?

I'm really tempted to go this option since I'm tired of the installs failing and Windows trying to reinstall it every few days just to have it fail again.

Thanks!

TARS1111
Level 7
Update:

I was able to install 1803 by doing the following:

1. Using the Windows Update Upgrade Tool (not Windows Update on the OS itself). Downloaded the update, let it restart.
2. My computer restarted three separate times (keyboard flashes and the screen goes black, before the ROG logo appears). EACH TIME this happened, I would manually tap the power button to turn off the computer, just for 2-3 seconds each time, and then pressed it again. That allowed the power to cycle on each restart so the update process wouldn't get interrupted and get stuck.

Doing this allows the ROG logo to appear and the spinner to appear after a few seconds, with the Windows Update percentage screen to keep showing up.

This way I didn't have to do a clean install, create installation media, etc.

The only problem is that now the RealTek audio bus isn't even being detected/working correctly, even if I uninstall the device or reinstall using the RealTek drivers. So I have to figure out how to use audio since that's a huge deal.

TARS1111 wrote:
Update:

I was able to install 1803 by doing the following:

1. Using the Windows Update Upgrade Tool (not Windows Update on the OS itself). Downloaded the update, let it restart.
2. My computer restarted three separate times (keyboard flashes and the screen goes black, before the ROG logo appears). EACH TIME this happened, I would manually tap the power button to turn off the computer, just for 2-3 seconds each time, and then pressed it again. That allowed the power to cycle on each restart so the update process wouldn't get interrupted and get stuck.

Doing this allows the ROG logo to appear and the spinner to appear after a few seconds, with the Windows Update percentage screen to keep showing up.

This way I didn't have to do a clean install, create installation media, etc.

The only problem is that now the RealTek audio bus isn't even being detected/working correctly, even if I uninstall the device or reinstall using the RealTek drivers. So I have to figure out how to use audio since that's a huge deal.

I had the same issue when installing,laptop would restart and nothing would happen, I would power it off/on then it would work after, did this 2 times I think.

Installed from an USB stick ,used windows media creation tool.

No other issues.

AnthonyG70
Level 7
Ran into same issues as others going from pre-1803 version, the system would reboot then hang at the logo screen. After turning off and back on a couple times, Windows will revert back to prior version. As I bought this "new" from another person, needed to wipe anyhow.

Installed 1803 doing clean install, the system did hang on initial reboot with ROG logo present, but after a power cycle it went into Windows w/o issues. A few missing drivers for devices, but no missing keyboard or video as others have mentioned. Only one driver was present in esupport folder, others were updated doing a Windows Update.

After reboot, NVIDIA config notification window showed, asking to configure G-SYNC. Checking of Device Manager shows no missing drivers.

GL502VS w/256GB NVMe, 16GB, 1.8TB Seagate gaming SSHD.

Vavery
Level 7
So related to the old issue of updating from Windows version 1709 to 1803, I finally managed to complete the update after many failures as posted in this thread.
What worked for me was uninstalling the antivirus software (ESET) and the Nvidia driver using DDU. With the laptop left with the generic display driver and without 3rd party antivirus, the update passed the 30% level on restart and finalized after a few power cycles.
After the update I reinstalled antivirus and driver (initially the old one from ROG support collection and then the latest one from Nvidia) without any issues so far.

I hope this will work for you guys too.
PS: I've got the idea that some bad behaving driver might cause the update failure from this forum:
https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/110037-upgrade-1803-version-fails-0xc1900101-0x30017-...
Although I did not follow all the steps in this multipage thread, I've got the general idea and thanks to these guys, zbook and Brac and with a lucky guess I solved the problem. Until the next Windows upgrade.
Asus GL502VS, with 256GB Samsung NVME, 1TB HDD, 32 Gb ram.

ajsupahiya
Level 7
So finally I successfully updated to1803 WITHOUT reinstalling everything from scratch. I tried updating few months back but just couldnt pass 30% mark, so here are the steps I followed and managed to updated in one go -

1. Simply click of 'check for updates' and let windows download 1803 as usual.

2. Windows will prompt you for restart, accept it. Now in the very beginning itself, just enter Bios (by pressing f2 before it could reach Asus logo) and disable SMART. Save and exit.

3. Windows will do its thing and start the installation, here is the trick now - On 30% of installation laptop will restart, simply enter in bios again and this time disable fastboot. Save and exit. By doing this installation will resume as expected without rolling back.

4. Now around 60% it will again restart, here just to interrupt restart cycle I entered bios and didnt do anything at all. Simply save and exit.

5. Thats it, windows will finish as expected and you are on 1803.

Hope this will save some good soul, not to reinstall everything.

I have this problem since the Creator Update, and every time it was a struggle to update (but somehow managed by correct combination of secure boot/SMART/fast boot settings configuration).

Did an experiment this weekend.
I had a theory, that the problem is in NVMe drive itself. New Samsung 970 EVO was bought and existing OS was cloned (with exact partition table). It changed nothing :D. The installation of 1809 has stopped at around 9%, the machine rebooted and reverted the update back to 1803.

The short conclusion: a replacement of the boot NVMe SSD doesn't solve the problem.

Eventually, I've wiped the drive and did a fresh installation.