cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

"Talking to Microsoft" is just a customer service thing to say (I know- I do this as part of my job each day). It's a way to get customers off your back.

Let's do a recap:

1. ASUS never figured out the Windows Update problem on their own. It was community members, in this thread, that figured out how to get Windows Updates to work properly.
2. When ASUS did post the FAQ/Help article for it, it was just a watered-down copy of the steps posted in this thread.
3. No ASUS rep ever confirmed the problem in this thread, which tells me whatever issues they found, corporate didn't want to own up to it.
4. Our systems still lack the BIOS update that would patch Spectre. That is ASUS' problem to fix since Spectre fixes are the responsibility of the PC manufacturers, not Intel, Microsoft or others.
5. "Talking to Microsoft" means nothing since it's not MS's problem, and they have no role to play since we know it's an issue with the BIOS.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me that ASUS can't be bothered to support a laptop that's 2-3 years old with updates, even if they are super critical. I'm not asking for an update to optional utilities and ROG Gaming Center or anything- I just want the most fundamental parts of the laptop to work. That's not too much to ask, I can live with or work around/tweak the rest.

Here's hoping someone else in the community finds a way to get 1809 to install on our systems!

TARS1111 wrote:
"Talking to Microsoft" is just a customer service thing to say (I know- I do this as part of my job each day). It's a way to get customers off your back.

Let's do a recap:

1. ASUS never figured out the Windows Update problem on their own. It was community members, in this thread, that figured out how to get Windows Updates to work properly.
2. When ASUS did post the FAQ/Help article for it, it was just a watered-down copy of the steps posted in this thread.
3. No ASUS rep ever confirmed the problem in this thread, which tells me whatever issues they found, corporate didn't want to own up to it.
4. Our systems still lack the BIOS update that would patch Spectre. That is ASUS' problem to fix since Spectre fixes are the responsibility of the PC manufacturers, not Intel, Microsoft or others.
5. "Talking to Microsoft" means nothing since it's not MS's problem, and they have no role to play since we know it's an issue with the BIOS.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me that ASUS can't be bothered to support a laptop that's 2-3 years old with updates, even if they are super critical. I'm not asking for an update to optional utilities and ROG Gaming Center or anything- I just want the most fundamental parts of the laptop to work. That's not too much to ask, I can live with or work around/tweak the rest.

Here's hoping someone else in the community finds a way to get 1809 to install on our systems!

The solution that works is a complete CLEAN INSTALL. had this problem since 1703 was released. always failed update on my ASUS ROG 502. Only this year, i tried a CLEAN INSTALL of 1709 and it works. Now im running 1803 with latest build

kingKAI wrote:
The solution that works is a complete CLEAN INSTALL. had this problem since 1703 was released. always failed update on my ASUS ROG 502. Only this year, i tried a CLEAN INSTALL of 1709 and it works. Now im running 1803 with latest build

I have a different model, ROG G752VY, but the same issue. I was stuck on 1607 until one week ago when I successfully clean installed 1803. I'm just wondering, does the clean install fix it so when 1809 comes out, I won't need to do a clean install, or did you folks who Clean Installed from 1607 to 1703, or to 1709, have to do a clean install for each subsequent one?

Captain_Spaz wrote:
I have a different model, ROG G752VY, but the same issue. I was stuck on 1607 until one week ago when I successfully clean installed 1803. I'm just wondering, does the clean install fix it so when 1809 comes out, I won't need to do a clean install, or did you folks who Clean Installed from 1607 to 1703, or to 1709, have to do a clean install for each subsequent one?

MOst likely the CLEAN INSTALL solved all the possible problem. Since you have to DELETE ALL PARTITIONS in a hard drive and install a FRESH CLEAN VERSION OF windows.

When I peformed a CLEAN INSTALL of 1709 from my 1607. all the windows update went smoothly. No longer had any problem with DISM or BSOD. Installation to 1803 went without a hiccup. around 30 minutes including download time.

kingKAI wrote:
MOst likely the CLEAN INSTALL solved all the possible problem. Since you have to DELETE ALL PARTITIONS in a hard drive and install a FRESH CLEAN VERSION OF windows.

When I peformed a CLEAN INSTALL of 1709 from my 1607. all the windows update went smoothly. No longer had any problem with DISM or BSOD. Installation to 1803 went without a hiccup. around 30 minutes including download time.

That's a relief. Though I noticed that with the 1803 update, it didn't make me delete all the partitions like the 1709 update wanted me to, so I think maybe Microsoft fixed something...

Captain_Spaz wrote:
That's a relief. Though I noticed that with the 1803 update, it didn't make me delete all the partitions like the 1709 update wanted me to, so I think maybe Microsoft fixed something...

"it didn't make me delete all the partitions like the 1709 update" you are referring to a CLEAN INSTALL of windows if there is an option of deleting all partitions in a drive. this can only happend if you boot from a USB drive or a ISO windows CD.

However if you are running 1709 already and and you got a notification to install 1803 thru windows update, you are performing an "IN PLACE upgrade"

Captain_Spaz wrote:

G752 VY too here,, same problem. 1607 -> 1703 failed for months,, decided enough is enough bcs SSD lifespan matter,, clean installed to 1709.

1709 to 1803 the same problem happening all over again,, the exact.damn.problem,, another clean install is not something that i will do anymore tho, i will just defer the feature update for as long as i can and maybe buy a sata hdd to clone so i can do in place update and then re-clone

hamsterzagard wrote:
G752 VY too here,, same problem. 1607 -> 1703 failed for months,, decided enough is enough bcs SSD lifespan matter,, clean installed to 1709.

1709 to 1803 the same problem happening all over again,, the exact.damn.problem,, another clean install is not something that i will do anymore tho, i will just defer the feature update for as long as i can and maybe buy a sata hdd to clone so i can do in place update and then re-clone

That is indeed strange. A CLEANER version of windows shouldnt have any problems installing to 1803. by clean install do you mean this, (see pic)7386773867

I'm glad some people have had success with clean installs in past updates, and even with the current 1809 update.

However, I'm not convinced that's addresses the real source of the issue for two reasons:

1. If the Windows installation already on the laptop was the problem, there's no reason why ASUS would go through the expense and effort to replace the stock Samsung SSDs with new Toshiba SSDs on laptops sent in with this problem (as mentioned in this thread multiple times). A clean install can be done by the user at home, no RMA required.
2. Past updates have not required me or the majority of people in this thread to do a clean install. It was tweaking the BIOS boot settings that allowed the update to go through. Those solutions should not have worked if the Windows installation/Uupdate itself was the problem.

Users shouldn't have to do a clean install of W10 just to get their OS updated. That's just silly, so I'm hoping a better solution can be found, just like it was a while back in this very thread for past W10 update problems.

kingKAI wrote:
That is indeed strange. A CLEANER version of windows shouldnt have any problems installing to 1803. by clean install do you mean this, (see pic)7386773867

Yes, clean as can be. The problem is well known tho, its the buggy AHCI controller on the laptop itself for NVMe. My clean install was on AHCI mode instead of RAID. Apparently, had i clean installed it as RAID, there wont be anymore problem. The method of changing AHCI <-> RAID without clean install failed for me so far, so my only chance for a more permanent solution now is to once again clean install with RAID mode, or just settle with the "clone to sata, update, clone it back to nvme" routine.