cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Creator Update Installation Failure on GL502VS - workaround

Rishme
Level 7
Has anyone faced any issues installing the New windows Creator Update on their GL502VS.
It gets stuck at BIOS when it restart. And then roles back to the old version

This is the error i see
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'
Help please?
356 REPLIES 356

Mine has been in twice now for hardware issues (bought mine last year at Microcenter). First time wasn't hardware, but was the creators update not going on, support said send it in ($100 in shipping + insurance) and I get back a system with the image freshly pressed on it which still won't update without playing with the BIOS. I give up and just use it, then it starts hard freezing when playing games (a gaming laptop mind you), I can't prove what the problem is, temp or battery or whatever. I send it in again (another $100) and I get back one that no longer freezes, but yet again, won't take the creators update (even though the image has the update assistant pre-installed).

I figure I will ride this one out until I can justify buying a new gaming machine (probably a desktop this time) and will not likely buy ASUS again, not only a less than stellar machine (even though the reviews were all pretty good), but mostly due to lack of support. I realize hardware fails, that I don't really blame on ASUS, but the lack of caring about an obvious issue, one that has been brought to their attention by me in my support tickets (linked to this thread more than once) and repeated attempts to get an answer about it, I give up. You got my money once, shame on me, but it won't happen again.

bene1 wrote:
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will be released in about two months, and we still don't have a real solution to this ~4 months old problem.

A workaround has been known for about 2-3 months (no thanks to neither ASUS nor Microsoft), and yet it seems that other than passing the blame around, no one has come and said: "Ah, if turning off SMART in the BIOS does the job, then the problem is ___ and the solution is ___".

So right now I've a brand new laptop that cost me money I barely have, discharges when plugged in, and freezes when trying to install a major update. What's going to be the official reply on this issue? "After further internal discussion, a solution unfortunately can’t be offered due to us simply not caring about our customers. Peace."

Seriously, two major issues with a laptop I have since the beginning of March. Can I get my money back, please?

ajsupahiya
Level 7
Guys Asus is hopeless in this case. Would it be a good idea to just change my stock ssd to samsung 960pro 512 gb? After going through everything related to this issue, I guess the problem is ssd only.

ajsupahiya wrote:
Guys Asus is hopeless in this case. Would it be a good idea to just change my stock ssd to samsung 960pro 512 gb? After going through everything related to this issue, I guess the problem is ssd only.

Considering the issue can't be resolved without help from Microsoft, the fix takes much longer as Microsoft is known to be slow with providing help to partner companies. All I know is that our team is in discussion with them without any timeline on when this issue can be fixed.

Bahz wrote:
Considering the issue can't be resolved without help from Microsoft, the fix takes much longer as Microsoft is known to be slow with providing help to partner companies. All I know is that our team is in discussion with them without any timeline on when this issue can be fixed.

Glad you reply...
Hoping next generation of RoG laptops will not have issues....

Bahz wrote:

Bahz - not sure if this is related or not, but I noticed after performing the BIOS trick and installing the Creators Update on my GL502VS (with the 256GB SSD), I am no longer able to reset my install of Windows. The agent.xml file indicates that the partition is there (partition 4), which I confirmed in disk mgr, but am unable to use it. Read some forums about if the GUID is all 0's then its unusable. I have a ticket open with ASUS support and am sending it back for repair (again), I am going to see if I can outlast the creators update again and hope you guys work with Samsung on a firmware update for the SSD (or BIOS update for the laptop as well).

ssbob98 wrote:
Bahz - not sure if this is related or not, but I noticed after performing the BIOS trick and installing the Creators Update on my GL502VS (with the 256GB SSD), I am no longer able to reset my install of Windows. The agent.xml file indicates that the partition is there (partition 4), which I confirmed in disk mgr, but am unable to use it. Read some forums about if the GUID is all 0's then its unusable. I have a ticket open with ASUS support and am sending it back for repair (again), I am going to see if I can outlast the creators update again and hope you guys work with Samsung on a firmware update for the SSD (or BIOS update for the laptop as well).

With Microsoft, we're always in discussion with them but with Samsung I'm not sure but I did pass the feedback over to the teams responsible and have not received an update. Samsung SSDs are known to have quite a bit of compatibility issues, I feel that for this part it's better to contact Samsung support for help as the firmware update for the SSD needs to be provided by them. We don't have any other compatibility issues with other brand SSDs that I know of currently so the issue lies with them.

Bahz wrote:
With Microsoft, we're always in discussion with them but with Samsung I'm not sure but I did pass the feedback over to the teams responsible and have not received an update. Samsung SSDs are known to have quite a bit of compatibility issues, I feel that for this part it's better to contact Samsung support for help as the firmware update for the SSD needs to be provided by them. We don't have any other compatibility issues with other brand SSDs that I know of currently so the issue lies with them.

Bahz, a very valid point. However, as you know this is an OEM drive from Samsung, not a retail that they support. As has been indicated in this thread, Samsung Magician does not show any firmware updates for this drive, even though there are firmware updates for the 951 family of drives (retail though). So while Samsung should help with a firmware update, ultimately it needs to come from ASUS, as that is the brand on the laptop itself and this is the drive that shipped with the laptop.

Bahz wrote:

I'm sorry, but that is completely unacceptable. That's like purchasing a desktop PC let's say from Dell with a 3 year warranty, and when the drive has issues and requires an update within the warranty period, Dell saying "go to that manufacturer".

You guys are very quickly destroying your brand recognition with statements like that. We're not buying your products to have a finger pointed somewhere else, when it is YOUR company that selected these OEM, non-retail drives to be integrated with YOUR products, carrying YOUR warranty. If these products have "quite a bit of compatibility issues", perhaps select different drives instead? Microsoft is literally advertising your product for the Creators Update which your product can't take, so instead of mutually working on a solution you try to blame another company.

Stop trying to pass the buck onto someone else, fix our issues. These things aren't cheap.

Bahz
Level 12
An update: we haven't been able to replicate the issue exactly to what people on this thread have described because the test results were pass. Our teams are currently in communication with Samsung regarding to this issue.

I have an ASUS ROG GL502VY equiped with the a 256 GB "NVMe Samsung MZVPv256" SSD and a 2 TB hard drive. This is a new laptop I bought almost a month ago and I am having the issue discussed in this thread as well, where the creators update fails during the updating process after the first boot and windows starts restoring the previous version.

I went to Asus's physical support location in my country and the only thing they did was just resetting the windows to factory settings and performing some hardware tests, nothing has changed. When I talked to the technician who worked on the laptop he just said "Sir, why do you need to update? the laptop is performing well. just wait and the update will come automatically" which shows complete unawareness/ignorance of the issue even though I demonstrated the problem in front of his eyes. After a long discussion, we ended by him saying "we can only offer hardware support, third party software issues is not our problem".

I also contacted Microsoft's live chat support 4 times and got help from 4 different technicians, we tried various ways to install creators update including clean installation, media creation tool, USB.. All of them failed, windows started restoring previous versions after the first boot always. This was like a dead end for me, neither Asus nor Microsoft could solve the problem.

Then I found this thread and I believe the reasons the guys stated (SSD & BIOS) are the potential reason behind the problem, however I will not disable the smart boot option in the bios, at least for a while. I will wait for some time maybe the issue will be fixed.

This is my second Asus laptop. I really liked the first one, and I don't want this one to be the last. Please ASUS fix this problem as soon as possible.