cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 Driver help

greek_m43
Level 7
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a G74sx and just clean installed Windows 8. What drivers do I need? I'm not super computer savvy. I'm a film guy and kind of know what I'm doing, but not totally. Any help would be great. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Vulgar
Level 7
Sup people, I have the same question as the OP. I have a G74SX-TH71 (NVIDIA 560m), with an extra 4gb RAM, totaling 16gb of RAM and some added storage. I just did a clean install of Win 8 Pro x64 bit edition, so far so good (except for the 'no start button thing' that will take some getting used too). I'm using the NVIDIA 306.97 driver, which is what I used on Win7 and it works great. Since there are no Win8 driver or utility downloads on the G74sx page, I went to the next model up page the G75VW which is essentially the same model and downloaded some of the Win8 x64 compatible drivers. I've only installed the ATIpackage drivers and so far so good, no errors, everything is running smooth, however I'm not sure if I'm getting any of the benefits from it either. Right now I'm weary of installing any more drivers because I don't want to cause anything critical or at the very least I don't want a bunch of bloated drivers and software floating around doing nothing.
I do have my original driver disk which came with my notebook, but it says "This disc supports Windows 7 64-bit only" so there's that. I was hoping I could get Live Update installed and it would help take care of a lot of things, but when I tried to install the program, I got an error message saying "This program is for ASUS Notebooks ONLY!"
So, if anyone can help or has any suggestions please write a reply, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not have your laptop model but when I installed Win8 on my laptop I used most of the old Win7 drivers. My reasoning was that since Win8 is basically Win7 with some 'improvements' and a new GUI all is good. And based on the discussions I have had on a Microsoft Dev forum it is all good. Touch wood 🙂

If your system is doing all that it should be doing without any additional drivers being installed then I can not see any need to install more drivers. Less is sometimes better than more. Hope that helps guys.

PS: For Win8 to really shine I found that a Ultrabook with a touch screen makes such sense of the OS. And now I get it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

zsld0423
Level 9
Here's my thread I started which goes over the different drivers and such needed/wanted for you 😄 Should help resolve any questions like that

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23359-Finally-took-the-Win8-plunge..&country=&status=
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

my bluetooth is not functioning, already dwnloaded d latest driver from G46 which is compatible for windows 8, i've tried on ma G53SX n till' now i dun hve d luck to make it work 😞

I'm not sure what does what. When I tried installing drivers, my laptop got bluescreen and I had to disk recover. Could we use G75 drivers. I wish Asus would just respond to my email and tell me what to do. Sort of clueless.

dxboyz6146 wrote:
my bluetooth is not functioning, already dwnloaded d latest driver from G46 which is compatible for windows 8, i've tried on ma G53SX n till' now i dun hve d luck to make it work 😞

Did you try the newest version from here? Don't know if you have Intel or Atheros bluetooth.
Bluetooth ("select OS", choose Win8)
greek_m43 wrote:
I'm not sure what does what. When I tried installing drivers, my laptop got bluescreen and I had to disk recover. Could we use G75 drivers. I wish Asus would just respond to my email and tell me what to do. Sort of clueless.

I installed Win8 on my G73Jw everything works fine, no issues so far on my system.
For your G74Sx I would recommend these drivers: ("Select OS" choose Win8)
(btw ignore the note that's written on the support page)
Chipset (INF Updater 9.3.1025)
Lan (RealTek Version V8.003.0730.2012)
Wlan (Atheros 10.0.0.200)
Audio (RealTek R2.70)
USB3.0 (Fresco 3.5.74.0)
Graphics (Nvidia Geforce 306.97WHQL or 310.33BETA)
Touchpad (Synaptics 15.2.20 (uninstall Scribe afterwards it's not needed)
Intel RST (11.6.2.1002 WHQL)
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

ConkersGrillforce1337 wrote:
Did you try the newest version from here? Don't know if you have Intel or Atheros bluetooth.
Bluetooth ("select OS", choose Win8)

I installed Win8 on my G73Jw everything works fine, no issues so far on my system.
For your G74Sx I would recommend these drivers: ("Select OS" choose Win8)
(btw ignore the note that's written on the support page)
Chipset (INF Updater 9.3.1025)
Lan (RealTek Version V8.003.0730.2012)
Wlan (Atheros 10.0.0.200)
Audio (RealTek R2.70)
USB3.0 (Fresco 3.5.74.0)
Graphics (Nvidia Geforce 306.97WHQL or 310.33BETA)
Touchpad (Synaptics 15.2.20 (uninstall Scribe afterwards it's not needed)
Intel RST (11.6.2.1002 WHQL)

thnx man, much appreciated! ^^

Pitcher1
Level 9
ASUS is not support G74SX windows 8 driver, i am not guarantee maybe you are able to try G75 winown 8 driver install to G74, or find similar model to install, also can visit chepset vander website and find driver to install it.

I got the drivers working using the G75 drivers! My only problem is that when I try to install the Synaptics Touch Pad drivers, it says that a Synaptics device is not recognized. The driver from the Synaptics website doesn't change how the touch pad funstions. Anyone have a solution?

Also, can I use the BIOS 210 update? I currently upgraded from 202 to 208. I plan on overclocking some more.