cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is causing battery to discharge 5% while plugged in?

link626
Level 7
The battery constantly cycles between 95%-100% while plugged, under light to no load.

It actually loses 5% pretty fast while remaining plugged in. I would estimate it takes a day to lose 5% while plugged in.
That's a fast discharge.

What is consuming the battery juice?
There shouldn't be anything using the battery while the laptop is plugged in.

Also, a disconnected battery doesn't lose 5% battery juice in 24 hours, or else you would have a dead laptop if you didn't use it for 20 days.
3 REPLIES 3

FastM
Level 8
Sounds normal to me. The system will allow a little discharge before charging it back up. normal cycle for batteries.. (your phone would do the samething if plugged in overnight just maybe not display the difference in %).

Keeping a battery at 100% is probably the worst thing for it, Im sure it has some internal circuitry that allows a slight discharge to help inscrease its lifespan.

have you tried this software to help increase its overall life even further?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101811-Want-to-preserve-your-battery-s-lifespan-Use-ASUS-B...

Korth
Level 14
Battery isn't new anymore and isn't actually reaching full charge, cell chemistry degrades/erodes over time and use.

The embedded regulator may report "100% (4.1V)" while in reality some weak cells aren't capable of exceeding 95% (~3.9V), at least not when heated a bit above room temp.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

link626
Level 7
nevermind, I just read on battery university website that lithium batteries normally discharge 5% in 24 hours, and then slowly discharge after that.