cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to preserve your battery's lifespan? Use ASUS Battery Health Charging

Nitemare
Level 7
If you know anything about lithium ion batteries, you know they don't react well to sitting at full/near full charge for periods of time. My GL702 sits on my desk plugged in all day, which causes the battery to stay at 96% perpetually... not good long term if you want the battery to last. Turns out ASUS built a program to remedy this problem, but seems to only include it on the Zenbook lineup. You can download it below though, and it works perfectly on my GL702.

You get the option of a full charge, no greater than 80% charge, and no greater than 60% charge. The 60% setting is the best for longevity - use this if you always leave your laptop plugged in. If you occasionally unplug and go somewhere to use your laptop, it'd be best to sit at 80% and then charge to 100% right before you need to use it.

Information link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1032726/
Download link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ASUS_Battery_Health_Charging/ASUS_Battery_Health_...

32 REPLIES 32

Peneoark
Level 9
Even though mine is set to the Max Lifespan mode, I removed the charging cable and the battery percent showed at 100. It's almost like it's running, but not actually doing anything beneficial on the GL703.

FastM
Level 8
GL702VS worked right off the bat. The battery light on the front of the laptop even shows green as if it was fully charged

FastM wrote:
GL702VS worked right off the bat. The battery light on the front of the laptop even shows green as if it was fully charged

Yep, it also seems to be working good on my GL702VMK, although it doesn't allow the battery to discharge down to the selected level (60%, 80%). In my case, I was at 89% when I selected the 60% mode. My system just stayed at 89%, not charging. I guess I should unplug it and discharge it down to 60% and leave it there.

StarJack

StarJack wrote:
Yep, it also seems to be working good on my GL702VMK, although it doesn't allow the battery to discharge down to the selected level (60%, 80%). In my case, I was at 89% when I selected the 60% mode. My system just stayed at 89%, not charging. I guess I should unplug it and discharge it down to 60% and leave it there.

StarJack

Yeah that's what I did, unplugged down to 40% and let it come back up. Even with the laptop off and plugged in all night it was still at 60% this morning.

StarJack
Level 11
Working very well on my GL702VMK now, staying around 59%. I was thinking it was something added with the second generation models (VMK vs VM etc.) but that would have one assume the GL702VS would not work, and the GL702VSK would. But someone with a GL702VS says their's is working. Not sure what is doing the trick.

StarJack

StarJack wrote:
Working very well on my GL702VMK now, staying around 59%. I was thinking it was something added with the second generation models (VMK vs VM etc.) but that would have one assume the GL702VS would not work, and the GL702VSK would. But someone with a GL702VS says their's is working. Not sure what is doing the trick.

StarJack

I think your right. I have the 6700HQ , I wonder if it has to do with having a last gen CPU

mmohamed2
Level 8
Any alternative?

timoat
Level 7
Ive tried to get it to worjk on my gl702 vm, the software will let me check any box, but the laptop will still charge to 100%, even after ive let the battery run down to sub 50%

binaryLV
Level 8
Nitemare wrote:
Information link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1032726/
Download link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ASUS_Battery_Health_Charging/ASUS_Battery_Health_...

Available in Microsoft Store too, just search for "asus battery".

I have GL702VMK for slightly more than a year. Too bad I couldn't find this app earlier - HWiNFO64 says that battery has had only 13 cycles, but wear level is already ~10% (capacity has dropped from 76Wh to ~68Wh).

Korth
Level 14
The % threshold values do seem somewhat arbitrary, though I'm unsure if that makes much real difference.

But the fact that a "smart" control system consistently oversees battery charging/discharging will likely make a significant difference on battery longevity. It's a good idea - especially since it provides user preferences on balancing priorities/tradeoffs - I'm honestly surprised I've never encountered it in any other mobile devices.

It does seem to work in practice, yes? Or maybe it doesn't? I couldn't find any decent reviews about it.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]