cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to preserve your battery's lifespan? Use ASUS Battery Health Charging

Nitemare
Level 7
If you know anything about lithium ion batteries, you know they don't react well to sitting at full/near full charge for periods of time. My GL702 sits on my desk plugged in all day, which causes the battery to stay at 96% perpetually... not good long term if you want the battery to last. Turns out ASUS built a program to remedy this problem, but seems to only include it on the Zenbook lineup. You can download it below though, and it works perfectly on my GL702.

You get the option of a full charge, no greater than 80% charge, and no greater than 60% charge. The 60% setting is the best for longevity - use this if you always leave your laptop plugged in. If you occasionally unplug and go somewhere to use your laptop, it'd be best to sit at 80% and then charge to 100% right before you need to use it.

Information link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1032726/
Download link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ASUS_Battery_Health_Charging/ASUS_Battery_Health_...

32 REPLIES 32

Saragrl
Level 8
GL702VM also grayed out. 😞

Peneoark
Level 9
I installed some drivers from the Asus site, and my GL703VD now has available options for this application. My battery always shows 100% though. Not sure if this is normal with this app.

Peneoark wrote:
I installed some drivers from the Asus site, and my GL703VD now has available options for this application. My battery always shows 100% though. Not sure if this is normal with this app.

I believe it should show the proper value. For instance, on my GL702VMK, I have been using the 60% maximum lifespan mode and it has kept my battery between 58 and 60% since I installed it. Not sure if it is actually working for you tbh.

Great little application though, it's a shame ASUS hasn't released it for the majority of their notebooks.

StarJack

Nice utility, installed it this morning and it keeps the charge at 60% in max lifespan mode on my gl702vs.

As Starjack said Asus should release it for all notebooks that support it.

Saragrl
Level 8
I found this elsewhere on the web and it works now on my 702vm

Open registry and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASUS\ASUS Battery Health Charging
Modify dword CheckSupported from 1 to 0
Reboot your system

Now you should be able to choose any of the options within the app.

Saragrl wrote:
I found this elsewhere on the web and it works now on my 702vm

Open registry and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASUS\ASUS Battery Health Charging
Modify dword CheckSupported from 1 to 0
Reboot your system

Now you should be able to choose any of the options within the app.

Thanks that work

mmohamed2 wrote:
Thanks that work

Bypassing the supported device check doesn't mean that it will really work on your device.

Peneoark wrote:
Bypassing the supported device check doesn't mean that it will really work on your device.

Sadly this seems to be true. My battery still charges. Oh well, I don't understand why ASUS wouldn't support this on all their devices. Guess there is more money in us paying to replace ours.

Saragrl wrote:
Sadly this seems to be true. My battery still charges. Oh well, I don't understand why ASUS wouldn't support this on all their devices. Guess there is more money in us paying to replace ours.

Kinda like when messing with an Android device and wanting to install an unsupported app. You can change the build.prop device ID to match a supported device, and the play store will let you install it, but that's no guarantee that it will run 😉

But not sure why it's not supported on all devices. I'm sure there is a valid reason though.

Peneoark wrote:

You're right, battery still charging to 100%