cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading M.2 SSD from 128gb to 512gb (GL502VT)

IamEzon
Level 7
Hello Fellow ROG Users,

Im planning to upgrade my GL502VT unit with 128 m.2 ssd to 500 m.2 ssd (samsung 850 evo) which is currently my budget and cannot stretch anymore to 960/950 evo. I have some questions before the upgrade process.

1. If i swap the current 128 m.2 ssd on my unit which is currently the windows OS installed and replaced with the new 850 evo m.2 ssd, do i have to installed fresh new windows on 500 m.2 ssd? is there any way to fix or clone the previous drive?
2. Is there any bios configuration needed to be done first before or after the replacement?
3. Does replacing the ssd will effect the ROG Boot Logo?

Thanks in advance.

Current unit:
Asus ROG GL502VT
128gb m.2 SSD
1tb HD
GTX 970m 6gb
4k Panel
7 REPLIES 7

davemon50
Level 11
If they are both Samsung drives why not use their DATA MIGRATION software?

Read THE MANUAL first.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
If they are both Samsung drives why not use their DATA MIGRATION software?

Read THE MANUAL first.

@dave, problem is the currently installed M.2 SSD is different brand to be specific it is LITE ON CV1-8B128. Having this issue arises on my mind before buying the samsung 850 evo. I got only one slot of M.2 drive currently on my system. Cloning if the current m.2 ssd it not possible since i don't have any adaptor/adapter for the new m.2 ssd

davemon50
Level 11
I see, you only have 1 M.2 slot, I thought you had two. If you have a spare HDD and a USB adapter for it you can hook it up and clone to it, replace the M.2 drives, boot off the HDD, and clone to the new M.2. Trying to clone to the new M.2 externally will likely be problematic or maybe impossible. If you don't have an extra HDD, then your best course of action IMHO is to remove the existing M.2 drive, install the new one, provide a fresh install of Windows onto it from a USB drive with Windows on it, and then save the old M.2 for a rainy day.
Davemon50

Hello,

My advice is not to clone.

What I have done in the past is:
1) Download this program provided by Microsoft;
2) Through it, create a Windows 10 boot USB, that must be 8-32GB and formatted to FAT32;
3) Make manual copy of all important files in the installed unit;
4) Switch the disk unit in the laptop and install the new one;
5) Boot from the USB with the Windows 10 image;
6) Follow the instructions to install Windows;
7) Copy the files backed up in point 3) to the new unit;
😎 Enjoy the extra space...

To be completely honest, I suggest switching the HDD to an SSD too, as 512GB will not be enough for your games, and an HDD is always slow loading games.

NOTE: This procedure is only applicable to laptops that were already shipped with an M.2 SSD installed.
Those with no M.2 SSD installed will have to switch the boot priority in the BIOS. There are other topics on this forum - and on the internet - that show how to do it.

marceloh wrote:
Hello,

My advice is not to clone.

What I have done in the past is:
1) Download this program provided by Microsoft;
2) Through it, create a Windows 10 boot USB, that must be 8-32GB and formatted to FAT32;
3) Make manual copy of all important files in the installed unit;
4) Switch the disk unit in the laptop and install the new one;
5) Boot from the USB with the Windows 10 image;
6) Follow the instructions to install Windows;
7) Copy the files backed up in point 3) to the new unit;
😎 Enjoy the extra space...

To be completely honest, I suggest switching the HDD to an SSD too, as 512GB will not be enough for your games, and an HDD is always slow loading games.

NOTE: This procedure is only applicable to laptops that were already shipped with an M.2 SSD installed.
Those with no M.2 SSD installed will have to switch the boot priority in the BIOS. There are other topics on this forum - and on the internet - that show how to do it.

@marceloh

does this method will not effect the Asus ROG Boot Logo. I don't want any changes from the bootlogo.. I saw many posts that the bootlogo has been replaces with the Windows Default one rather than the Asus ROG Logo.

IamEzon wrote:
@marceloh

does this method will not effect the Asus ROG Boot Logo. I don't want any changes from the bootlogo.. I saw many posts that the bootlogo has been replaces with the Windows Default one rather than the Asus ROG Logo.

That I am not able to answer.

The other solution is to copy the original SSD to the new one.
The Samsung's Data Migration Tool software is very good, and I have used it two time with everything going smooth.

But I assume you do not have two M.2 slots to perform such task, so... I have no solution to that question.

davemon50
Level 11
We've been there already, in the discussion above. If clone to HDD, replace M.2's, then clone back from HDD to new M.2 is not a method the OP wishes to use, then the M.2's should be changed out and a fresh install of Windows should be made to the new M.2, using a USB or DVD installation disk.

Many people here prefer and even recommend the fresh install.
Davemon50