cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about buying the Asus G55VW, which one of these versions is better?

liaxo
Level 7
Greetings.
Stuck between two versions of the G55vw. the specs:

NUMBER 1:
GeForce GTX660 2GB,
Core i7-3630QM,
8GB RAM,
500GB HDD,DVD±RW,
Windows 8 64-bit Edition

NUMBER 2:
GeForce GTX660 2GB,
Core i7-3610QM,
12GB RAM,
750GB HDD/SSD,
Blu-Ray,BT,
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Was first going for number 2, but heard about trouble with the hybrid drive, and number one has windows 8 (honestly have no idea if that makes it better). Also the cpu on number 1 is newer. more ram on n2...
So, which one strikes you as the better one?
7 REPLIES 7

berry_racer
Level 7
Number 1 is better because the CPU is not upgradeable later on

Also, when adding RAM, they should always go in pairs to ensure you are running them in Dual Channel mode. so either 8 GB or 16 GB but not 12 otherwise the RAM will run in single channel mode.

You can easily add an SSD later on to that 500 GB HDD and add more RAM

Stick to Windows 7, Windows 8 is crap! I tried it for 2 hours and couldn't stand it.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Number 1: Because you can always upgrade the SSD and Ram.

chrsplmr wrote:

Sound advice +REP 😉
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

chrsplmr wrote:

I do agree 🙂
=========
can you give the price each others?
ASUS G55VW-DS71
Core i7 3610QM @2.30Ghz
Nvdia GTX 660M 2GB
RAM 16GB PC 12800 1600 Mhz Hyundai Electronics
HDD 750GB 7200RPM
Win 7 Pro 64Bit
ASUS Gaming Mouse GX850 + Razer Mamba
Ducky Shine 3

Monster Beats by dr.Dre Studio Headphone
HDD External WD 2TB
"THE ONE AND ONLY NPWS"

finalhour
Level 11
In my experience SSD > Hybrid drive, so like the guy above said, go with the 1st, it's ~40 bucks for 8 more GB of DDR3 RAM (POST ON THE FORUMS BEFORE YOU BUY RAM IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING THE RIGHT STUFF TO MATCH) and a good 120GB SSD (I prefer Corsair Force GT) is ~100ish (I went with a 160GB for ~150)
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

liaxo
Level 7
thanks for the advice, i think i will go for number 1, but in that case i have some more questions:
1. is it possible to change the harddisk with this ssd: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=752849#extra (sorry all in norwegian, but most of the specs are in english) and have games and OS on that ssd and the rest on an extern harddisk (not sure how the ssd works, but if im right, the ssd would replace the harddisk right?
2. what is the best 2x4gb rams i can buy?

liaxo wrote:
thanks for the advice, i think i will go for number 1, but in that case i have some more questions:
1. is it possible to change the harddisk with this ssd: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=752849#extra (sorry all in norwegian, but most of the specs are in english) and have games and OS on that ssd and the rest on an extern harddisk (not sure how the ssd works, but if im right, the ssd would replace the harddisk right?
2. what is the best 2x4gb rams i can buy?
yea you can add that ssd, it is a 2,5 drive so it works fine.
you can replace the hdd with it, or you can just put the ssd in the 2nd drive bay.
not sure about the ram since i still just have 8gb and it works fine for me.