cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The GL553VD Odissey: Dual GPU Drivers faulty and worsening since 2017 - solved?

B0N3M4N
Level 7
[SOLVED] Just use the 442.59 Driver from the Driver Page of Nvidia if you got a GL553VD, that seems to be the most stable right now.

Hello everyone,

I've been using my GL553VD Laptop(which tbh is an FX553VD) for some good ass time, and I love it. Being a computer scientist I just have to use it a lot and casually play around with games on it.

That said I've been seeing both Asus and Nvidia kinda dropping hard the support when it comes down to it, especially the GPU.

So, the thing is that this Laptop seems to have some problems reagarding the dedicated GPU stability(an 4GB 1050) when it comes down to Drivers: it kinda disables itself until reboot if you do stuff that "weirds it out", which means basically increasing and reducing the cargo on it.

The best example I can give is when you, when waiting for a game to load up, switch up to a browser and check your mail and stuff. This seems to create some issues between the APU and the GPU, since the GPU manages the Game and the APU manages the Browser/Light app, and it crashes the GPU until the next Laptop reboot.

That said I hoped that with some BIOS or driver updates there could be some bugfixing regarding this management issue: I was wrong.

Basically the only "stable" driver for this GPU is the 385.73, it ocasionally crashes the GPU, but it gives no bluescreen and annoying stuff that just straight up crashes your PC/Gaming session. All and I mean ALL of the other drivers that came out after that(distributed by Asus or Nvidia) seems to worsen the thing: sometimes it just crashes a game because the GPU hangs up or it just straight up goes to a bluescreen, again given by some problems with the Nvidia drivers, giving too much of a timeout on the GPU itself.

I kinda tried everything and I've given up hope in using anything that goes after the 385.73, but I want to know if anybody here, maybe with the same experience as mine, or maybe as a different one, got any new ideas about what to do to improve the stability of the GPU. I'd be really glad to get some new stuff that isn't like "update BIOS/GPU drivers": I've already tried that and you already know how it ends.
10 REPLIES 10

above driver is compatible try it
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754