cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUS ROG GL551JM ...latest strategy to update Win 10?

majhoop
Level 7
After trying and failing to successfully update Win10 in 2018 somehow I got the mandatory update procedure turned off. It always failed. I had a thread on this forum asking for advice several years ago but never could fix it. I've been able to do nearly all the things I needed to do but am starting to have problems. Has anyone had similar problems that they've been able to fix to update Win10? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
I don't have your machine but what prevented me from upgrading was having an SD card inserted. Make sure you don't have anything extra like USB or SD mounted.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

What have you done to attempt the update?

tgp1994 wrote:
What have you done to attempt the update?

I just tried many times and it would always say it failed. Finally, I got it turned off.

majhoop wrote:
I just tried many times and it would always say it failed. Finally, I got it turned off.

Whenever Windows 10 has issues with a major update, the best thing I've found is downloading the Windows installer, then doing the upgrade that way. You can sometimes just run the installer on your computer and it will apply the update hassle-free, but if that doesn't work then you can use the installer to create a bootable USB and then boot it to upgrade that way.

tgp1994 wrote:
Whenever Windows 10 has issues with a major update, the best thing I've found is downloading the Windows installer, then doing the upgrade that way. You can sometimes just run the installer on your computer and it will apply the update hassle-free, but if that doesn't work then you can use the installer to create a bootable USB and then boot it to upgrade that way.

That's something new for me. I'm going to check up on that. Thanks!

xeromist wrote:
I don't have your machine but what prevented me from upgrading was having an SD card inserted. Make sure you don't have anything extra like USB or SD mounted.

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I had notifications on if there was a reply but didn't. I hadn't tried that. I've always got plenty of things plugged into the USB ports. Sound card, mouse, keyboard, external hard drove are pretty much the basics and needed for everyday use. The next time I try updating I'll unplug everything and see if it works. Thanks.