cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix SCAR II GL504GS Fan Question, Stuck on High for a while?

gguertin145
Level 7
I pre ordered this laptop and have had it for a few weeks now but last night had an issue where the fan was basically stuck on high no matter what I did. I tried turning everything off, rebooted, shut down and restarted.

Today after being off all night it was on high for a while when it started but seems to be working normal again? Has anyone had an issue like this before? I would understand if I was playing a game but I was just on the internet my cpu was 4% ram was 24%
43 REPLIES 43

If I start my laptop in Windows-safe mode, the fan is still stuck on high. That means it cannot be a driver problem, doesn't it?

eworuoewroiewriouoeiwur,

Windows safe-mode loads minimal drivers and software, supporting windows operation.

Are you running the latest version of ROG Gaming Center. This program controls fan operation.

You haven't reinstalled Windows, have you?
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

still experiencing this piece of crap issue

DeltaActual
Level 12
Disable Fastboot in BIOS.

Edit: Never mind, it didn't work...
G614JV

DeltaActual
Level 12
BTW...Do you use any Logitech software?
G614JV

Vyxxi
Level 7
I hate to necro a thread but... I found a fix.

CPU fan (left fan) was running at max, even in BIOS and Safe Mode.

I updated the BIOS and all software, including Win10 with no luck.

Got rid of Armoury Crate & Service.

Installed GPUTweak II - https://www.asus.com/us/site/graphic.../gpu-tweak-ii/

The fan is now quiet, around 5500 rpm even in the BIOS. Drops to near silent / silent when under low load.

Of note- the GPU fan disappeared from Armoury Crate after the BIOS update and is still no longer listed if reinstalled.

Hi all this problem plagued me for about 4 months one day my fan turned on and would randomly go full speed for no reason. The solution is this:

Asus has a bad habit of applying thermal paste to their GPUs in a very messy way. This causes the heat to not be dissipated correctly. If you are having problems I highly reccomend taking your laptop to a GOOD computer repair store and specify that you want them to check the THERMAL PASTE. My guy told me that 90% of the time Asus does A TERRIBLE JOB at applying the paste so it causes problems. He redid my thermal paste for me and the fans went silent again.

Please try this and ASUS if you are reading this please 1. fix your horrid atrocious animal customer support and 2. please start applying thermal paste properly to your equipment.

~Jon

Guys do you have GForce Experience installed? I noticed that my laptop out of the sudden became loud, fan like 100% and there was no reaction for turning on silent, balanced or boosted mode. I started looking for a solution and found this thread, Nvidia driver mentioned here gave me a clue. In my case GForce experience downloaded an update which was ready to install but not installed because of this old version wasn't running in my system. When I clicked on the icon to open it, GForce experience started automatic installation and once the program opened up fan instantly went to silent.

If you look in GForce Experience options there is "Whisper mode - Makes your plugged-in laptop quiet while gaming."

Try that, maybe it will solve your problem as well.

Hei guys,

i am gonna share my experience with you regarding this fan problem.
I had the same problem with my GL504G, for first two weeks laptop worked as it should. But then left fan started going bonkers. It went full throtle most of the time. I tried several driver reinstals and so on, then i came to idea, maybe, just maybe heat sink doesnt transfer heat for some reason and laptop is getting a constant signal that its hot. And eureka, heatsink has a flaw, left side is very thin and after some usage it deforms and dissataches itselft from some components that are connected via thermal paste to it. After reapplying thermal paste and attaching heatsink so it stays attached, laptop has been working perfectly, only going full throtle on overboost mode when playing some demanding games (its now ~3 months since i did that and all is good). :cool:

Folklore dancer wrote:
Hei guys,

i am gonna share my experience with you regarding this fan problem.
I had the same problem with my GL504G, for first two weeks laptop worked as it should. But then left fan started going bonkers. It went full throtle most of the time. I tried several driver reinstals and so on, then i came to idea, maybe, just maybe heat sink doesnt transfer heat for some reason and laptop is getting a constant signal that its hot. And eureka, heatsink has a flaw, left side is very thin and after some usage it deforms and dissataches itselft from some components that are connected via thermal paste to it. After reapplying thermal paste and attaching heatsink so it stays attached, laptop has been working perfectly, only going full throtle on overboost mode when playing some demanding games (its now ~3 months since i did that and all is good). :cool:

Can you give a little more detail before I take my new laptop apart? Which heat sink? Where is it located?

My problem is the GPU fan runs full, half, or silent speed completely randomly, even when the system is using the Intel GPU and GPU Tweak reports it's only at 34 degrees C. So I don't want to start randomly pulling off heatsinks 🙂