cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix G15 Problem connecting to dock USB-C

JoarS
Level 7
I just bought a ROG Strix G15. To make my life easier I also bought a USB-C docking station from Targus.

When I connect to the docking station to the computer using USB-C nothing happens. However if I put an USB3.0 adapter on the cord so that I can connect the dock to my computer using USB3.0 it works all of a sudden. However I did not by this dock to connect through USB3.0. I want to use USB-C. It's a USB-C dock and the new Asus laptop comes with one USB-C port.

I've got the MyAsus application and so far as I can tell everything is up to date (does it update drivers by itself?). Can I check manually somehow that the USB-C port on the computer works? What could be a possible cause?

If you look at the specs for the computer it states the following on the USB-C port: "1 X USB3.2 Gen2 Type-C support DisplayPort™". Does that mean I must connect my screen to the dock using displayport? It works with HDMI when I connect the dock to the computer using USB3.0.

Very grateful for any help!

e: When I have the adapter plugged into the computer the USB-C connection works. If I remove the power cord the connection breaks. But isn't it odd that the connection to the dock works if I connect through one of the computers USB3.0 ports? What gives?

This is the dock I bought and it's supposed to supply the computer with power up to 60W.
23 REPLIES 23

ZoleeG
Level 7
Same issue here... G512LW, tried to use my ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock via the type-c, nothing is working that's connected to the dock. If I connect the dock to one of the USB-A ports, all works... The dock works fine with my other ASUS ultrabook via type-c, I don't even need to install any Lenovo drivers. Any suggestion? What's so special about the type-c port on our units? I recently noticed though, when updating the NVIDIA drivers, an NVIDA type-C driver is also installed along with the rest of the NVIDIA package... Could that be the problem?

ZoleeG
Level 7
Despite re-installing the Type-c driver, etc, I still can't seem to get it working... Anyone with a solution?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello PatBeau & ZoleeG,
May I know if you have updated BIOS? and your current BIOS version is ?
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello PatBeau & ZoleeG,
Thank you.

Hi Blake, since one week: Version G512LI.307; Release Date 20210111; working on and off... thank you

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello PatBeau & ZoleeG,
Thank you.

Hi Blake,

BIOS is G512LW.314
Since the issue with the Lenovo docking, I've been using the type-c port with a type-c to DP cable to my external monitor just fine.
Yesterday I got a new DELL WD19 type-c docking station, I connected it to the type-c port, and it was working fine. In the evening I switched off the laptop.
Now, this morning I turned on the laptop, and the type-c port is not working anymore. nothing I plug in is detected: type-C USB hub, type-c/DP cable, WD19 docking station. I tried restarting the laptop about 15 times now, with and without something plugged into the type C port.
Did anyone find a solution other than disconnecting the battery inside the laptop? this is ridiculous....

ZoleeG wrote:
Hi Blake,

BIOS is G512LW.314
Since the issue with the Lenovo docking, I've been using the type-c port with a type-c to DP cable to my external monitor just fine.
Yesterday I got a new DELL WD19 type-c docking station, I connected it to the type-c port, and it was working fine. In the evening I switched off the laptop.
Now, this morning I turned on the laptop, and the type-c port is not working anymore. nothing I plug in is detected: type-C USB hub, type-c/DP cable, WD19 docking station. I tried restarting the laptop about 15 times now, with and without something plugged into the type C port.
Did anyone find a solution other than disconnecting the battery inside the laptop? this is ridiculous....

I seem to remember just disconnecting the USB-C from the laptop, disconnecting the power supply and shutting down the laptop for around 5-10 minutes seemed to do the trick. (probably would get away with less time). For some reason I'm sure someone mentioned a BIOS reset that could be done with the power button too, but don't quote me on that.

Simmi0987 wrote:
I seem to remember just disconnecting the USB-C from the laptop, disconnecting the power supply and shutting down the laptop for around 5-10 minutes seemed to do the trick. (probably would get away with less time). For some reason, I'm sure someone mentioned a BIOS reset that could be done with the power button too, but don't quote me on that.

What I did this morning is:
Unplug the power cord from the laptop
Plug-in type-c/DP cable
Power on laptop
When I got a picture on the external monitor, I disconnected the monitor and plugged in the WD19 docking station > viola it works.
Then reconnected the power cord to the laptop.

It is still ridiculous though... to do this every time I power down...

Some insight from ASUS would be nice. This is not an entry-level laptop by the way. I would expect the type-c port to work effortlessly.

I contacted the local ASUS support (Hungary), useless... good god... in 15 minutes we couldn't even agree on what the issue is exactly.

rickylcp
Level 7
I have the exact same problem!!!
My DELL WD19 type-C docking worked for few days, but after one BSOD related to Nvidia, then it no longer work now.
Now even I connect my Galaxy phone with to the type-c port also not recognizing anything.

Model: ASUS ROG Strix G15 (G512L)
BIOS: 310

Tried these:

1. uninstalled everything under Universal Serial Bus controllers and restart to let it re-install the driver automatically
2. Windows Updates and MyASUS updates are all up-to-date.
3. Run Diagnostic in MyAsus but not reporting any issues.
4. reinstall Nvidia display driver but also not working.
5. Use a type-C to USB-A adaptor to connect my type-C docking into the laptop USB-A port, it worked.

So all signs show the type-c port of the laptop is simply not reacting to anything now.

I really don't want to reset everything, I bough a laptop to save time, not to waste.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem, I plugged in a Dell USB C dock, about 2 hours later an nvidia crash occured and now the USB C port doesn't work at all, I can't get anything to detect on the port.

Also I'm running the latest (as of this time) BIOS version 310

Laptop: ASUS ROG STRIX G15 (G512LW-AZ018T)
BIOS Version: 310
Dock: Dell Thunderbolt Dock – WD19TB (I know this laptop isn't thunderbolt, but the other one I use is)

Tried
- Removing all the USB3 and C drivers, reinstalling, no help.
- Reinstalling the nvidia drivers with USB C, no help
- Removed nvidia drivers with display driver removal and the reinstalling nvidia drivers, no help

I am very reluctant to reset windows too, especially since I just set this laptop up the way I want it (had it less than a week..)

Ok, so I took a bit of an extreme measure and disconnected the battery, this seems to have bought the USB-C port back to life. Not sure if there is an easier way to get around this.

This issue seemed to occur shortly after a bluescreen error with nvlddmkm.sys reporting VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE whereby the USB-C port stopped functioning completely.