cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD upgrade for the GL552VW - Please help !

2Leonard2
Level 7
Hi everyone !

Thanks in advance for your help. So i bought a GL552VW-DH71, and i want to upgrade with an SSD as my main OS drive, but i can't seem to find definitive information on the type of SSD that will work... I'm hesitating between two models :

NVME : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-128GB-Solid-MZVPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B014FYUPVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

AHCI : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-128GB-AHCI-MZHPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B00VELD5D8/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=U...

One last quick question : After doing a clean windows install of the OS on the SSD (or a OS migration), i understand that i will need to remove the HDD to be able to boot from the newly installed SSD. Does this mean that i will need to format the HHD with an external hub in order to reinstall it in the laptop and use it as mass storage ? Thank you everyone so much for your help !
25 REPLIES 25

2Leonard2 wrote:
Hi Bootes ! Did you need any kind of kit to upgrade to the 850 EVO ? Like screws and cage and stuff like that ? Also, i assume you used an external hub to copy your HDD to the SSD before switching, right ?

Thanks !

I just did a fresh install of windows 10.

The only thing I needed to install the m.2 ssd was one of the screws from the kit below. I don't know exactly which one it was, I just found one that fit best.

http://frys.com/product/7229923?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I saw a similar kit on amazon.

taimur792
Level 7
2Leonard2 wrote:
Hi everyone !

Thanks in advance for your help. So i bought a GL552VW-DH71, and i want to upgrade with an SSD as my main OS drive, but i can't seem to find definitive information on the type of SSD that will work... I'm hesitating between two models :

NVME : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-128GB-Solid-MZVPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B014FYUPVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

AHCI : http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SM951-128GB-AHCI-MZHPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B00VELD5D8/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=U...

One last quick question : After doing a clean windows install of the OS on the SSD (or a OS migration), i understand that i will need to remove the HDD to be able to boot from the newly installed SSD. Does this mean that i will need to format the HHD with an external hub in order to reinstall it in the laptop and use it as mass storage ? Thank you everyone so much for your help !

I am also planing to buy a new Asus rog Gl552vw-dh71 but after reading reviews online I found many people complaining about the build quality. Just wanted to know what you think about the laptop. Is it really worth the money? Should I go for Ali instead?

taimur792 wrote:
I am also planing to buy a new Asus rog Gl552vw-dh71 but after reading reviews online I found many people complaining about the build quality. Just wanted to know what you think about the laptop. Is it really worth the money? Should I go for Ali instead?

Hey there ! Build quality of the GL552VW is OK. It's not nearly as bad as some people say, but the fan positioning (side) and the bad track pad can be a bit of a problem. If you don't use the trackpad and keep your laptop fans clean, these should'nt be an issue.

However, ASUS support for installing a SSD as been atrocious. I just cannot get any definitive information on the matter. I bough the Samsung 951 AHCI 256gb M.2 PCIe, i'll report back if i managed to install it and make it work.

That said, you can always swad the mecanical HDD for a 2.5" SSD instead. Less expensive than the M.2 PCIe, more simple, but you will lack dual disks.

One last point : i bough the GL552VW from Newegg.CA (Canada) and the price was very attractive considering the CA to US exchange rate at the time. I would not have bough the laptop for 100$ more. If you CAN fork out the additional 300/400$ for a better built laptop, do it. If you are on a very tight budget, then the GL552VW is a good solution.

2Leonard2 wrote:
Hey there ! Build quality of the GL552VW is OK. It's not nearly as bad as some people say, but the fan positioning (side) and the bad track pad can be a bit of a problem. If you don't use the trackpad and keep your laptop fans clean, these should'nt be an issue.

However, ASUS support for installing a SSD as been atrocious. I just cannot get any definitive information on the matter. I bough the Samsung 951 AHCI 256gb M.2 PCIe, i'll report back if i managed to install it and make it work.

That said, you can always swad the mecanical HDD for a 2.5" SSD instead. Less expensive than the M.2 PCIe, more simple, but you will lack dual disks.

One last point : i bough the GL552VW from Newegg.CA (Canada) and the price was very attractive considering the CA to US exchange rate at the time. I would not have bough the laptop for 100$ more. If you CAN fork out the additional 300/400$ for a better built laptop, do it. If you are on a very tight budget, then the GL552VW is a good solution.

You have the metallic version or plastic version?

I have the metallic version !

i buy gl552 vw in iran.
but my pc has a nvme ssd,
and the model of ssd is SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDG.

2Leonard2
Level 7
BUMP ! One last question if anyone knows : Do M.2 PCIe connectors can also take M.2 SATA SSDs ? As i said in my previous messages, my GL552VW has a M.2 PCIe connector, but the model is supposed to take M.2 SATA.

See cl-albert reply above you in this thread
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert, I think I have the USA GL552VW-DH71 and mine looks like a singe keyed PCIe slot. See pics.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
daselby wrote:
cl-Albert, I think I have the USA GL552VW-DH71 and mine looks like a singe keyed PCIe slot. See pics.

Hi daselby, thanks for the screenshot and your PM, but I believe M.2 SATA3 SSDs with the 2 keys (B+M) can still be installed, so that may not be conclusive enough. I still need to confirm this on my end, but emejay pointed out wikipedia mentioned this if it matters.
Looks like we have a competing thread about this topic, but saw your other post there and doesn't sound like you have been able to get the M.2 PCIE SSD working yet?

Anyway, my information shows the same GL552VW-DH71 is sold in U.S. and Canada and supports M.2 SATA3 SSDs, so we may need to see if more people can confirm this works, or if there are any ways to get the M.2 PCIE SSDs working (I don't expect it, but wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong about something).

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot&p=560852&posted...