cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my Asus GL502VS?

hectorbastida
Level 7
Hello everyone, I really love this Asus model, its not so bulky and still very portable, but I have some concerns about it, when I play GTA V, DOOM and The Witcher 3 I get temps around 85 degrees for the GPU and around 80 on the CPU(I always have G/Sync on). Take in consideration this is my first gaming laptop(I come from a MacBook pro and PS4) and I would like to have it for at least 2 - 3 years I really don't know if this temps are 'ok" for Pascal based GPU's. I'm getting around 3500 to 4000 RPMS's on the fans.

So I could still get my refund I'm going to buy a laptop cooler this weekend to se if it helps.

Also when playing on battery I got half fps and some times the screen blinks black for half a second or so.

Also I have the draining battery issue while charging but not that bad.

For I could read this model has all this issues(or more) Its sad that Asus does this to its clients.

So guys taking all this in consideration should I keep it, or send it back? Is there a way a could get a bit lower temps? Or is it safe?

Thanks for reading me!
13 REPLIES 13

hectorbastida
Level 7
Can someone from the staff please answer me? Are the temps normal? Can I fix the issue where unplugged the screen blink backs some times and only runs at 30 fps?

hectorbastida wrote:
Can someone from the staff please answer me? Are the temps normal? Can I fix the issue where unplugged the screen blink backs some times and only runs at 30 fps?

which video driver have you installed? i did 30fps installing generic nvidia driver, with the ones provided by asus website i normaly do 60

I had this same issue, I think, and almost returned it as NVIDIA and ASUS tech support were both stumped. My issue is when I enabled GSYNC it capped the frame rate at 30FPS. In the end the suggestion from ASUS tech support led me to the solution. The Asus support guy suggested manually removing (programs and features not the clean install option) all NVIDIA drivers and helper programs and installing the most recent driver from the ASUS Site. Well this oddly fixed the 30FPS cap I was getting in Titanfall 2, Overwatch and WOW. Now the issue was the version of NVIDIA Experience they have is so out of date it wont talk to NVIDIA and Battlefield 1 would not play unless I was running a more recent driver. So I performed the same deinstall and reinstall process using the 375.95 - WHQL drivers from NVIDA instead (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/111032) . I used the express install and everything was fine with gsync on now capped at 60FPS the best my laptop monitor is capable of. I hope this helps.

For reference: During my initial attempt to upgrade to 375.95 I had not removed the ASUS installed ones I just upgraded over the top. I think this is where I went wrong. I'm not going to test it as I don't want to mess up what is working.

If you can still get a refund, get it and pick something else. If it's a gaming laptop you're searching for, try MSI or Alienware. Even Origin laptops can help you.

If you can't or don't want, try the above solutions and hope everything serves you well enough.

Krontab wrote:
I had this same issue, I think, and almost returned it as NVIDIA and ASUS tech support were both stumped. My issue is when I enabled GSYNC it capped the frame rate at 30FPS. In the end the suggestion from ASUS tech support led me to the solution. The Asus support guy suggested manually removing (programs and features not the clean install option) all NVIDIA drivers and helper programs and installing the most recent driver from the ASUS Site. Well this oddly fixed the 30FPS cap I was getting in Titanfall 2, Overwatch and WOW. Now the issue was the version of NVIDIA Experience they have is so out of date it wont talk to NVIDIA and Battlefield 1 would not play unless I was running a more recent driver. So I performed the same deinstall and reinstall process using the 375.95 - WHQL drivers from NVIDA instead (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/111032) . I used the express install and everything was fine with gsync on now capped at 60FPS the best my laptop monitor is capable of. I hope this helps.

For reference: During my initial attempt to upgrade to 375.95 I had not removed the ASUS installed ones I just upgraded over the top. I think this is where I went wrong. I'm not going to test it as I don't want to mess up what is working.

Hello,
why did you link the desktop version? You'are not using the notebook ones?
Did you remove any previous installed driver and helper via panel control before installing the nvidia reference drivers?

Regards

BurlaMatto wrote:
Hello,
why did you link the desktop version? You'are not using the notebook ones?
Did you remove any previous installed driver and helper via panel control before installing the nvidia reference drivers?

Regards

I did not see a difference in the designation. My hardware was in the compatibility list. There is no GTX 1070M just a GTX 1070.

link626
Level 7
all THIN pascal notebooks lately seem to have "overheating" issues.

I say "overheating" because while high, the temps are under maximum.

The only laptops that don't have an issue are thick chunky laptops that have unobstructed ventilation.

The GL502 series screen lid blocks the exhaust vents when the lid is open.

Try this... close the lid about 80% so the exhaust vents are not blocked. Use an external monitor to game. Do the temps decrease or remain stable?

Gaming on battery power will always cut your framerate. That's normal with most laptops

link626 wrote:
all THIN pascal notebooks lately seem to have "overheating" issues.

I say "overheating" because while high, the temps are under maximum.

The only laptops that don't have an issue are thick chunky laptops that have unobstructed ventilation.

The GL502 series screen lid blocks the exhaust vents when the lid is open.

Try this... close the lid about 80% so the exhaust vents are not blocked. Use an external monitor to game. Do the temps decrease or remain stable?

Gaming on battery power will always cut your framerate. That's normal with most laptops

Yeah. It does seem to be the case. Razer with 1060 pre-throttles the GPU from the start and more as it gets hotter.*

It seems like the VR promise is too much. In the last gen, the thin laptops normally only use a 960M with a TDP of ~60W.

I'm not a fan of the vents as well. I rather they made it like the G752 with the exhaust at the back. *

For anyone with driver/display issues, google for DDU and use that to uninstall the drivers completely.
That should solve your issues.*