cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short battery life of GL502VS ?

lucianomattar
Level 7
Dear,
I'm testing the lifetime of the battery of the GL502VS for dairy activities liek internet, movies, downloads, etc, and no use of games, obviously. First, I tested with a dvix video in loop in the media player with the bright of the screen in 50%. The time of duration are of 2:40 hours. Second I test the battery with use of Firefox and navegation of gmail, facebook, few videos in youtube and almost 1hour of download of a game in the Uplay app. The time of lifetime was worse, aproximatally 2 hours.
I'm very dissapointed with this performance. Please, the lifetime of battery of your GL502VS is similar or this can be a problem of my unit?
Best
8 REPLIES 8

jamreal18
Level 7

link626
Level 7
you guys have unrealistic demands of the battery.

The battery isn't bad.
it is operating normally. It's just low capacity, at 64 whr.
and since it doesn't have Optimus, and runs the nvidia gpu all the time, it's going to eat your battery fast.

3 hours battery life is normal if you lower your screen brightness to 0% and do nothing but web browsing.

If there were only a way to get the nvidia gpu to be power saving like Intel HD530....

Link626
Maybe I wanting too much of a 4 cell battery, but is a little bit stranger that sometimes the battery lifetime is near to a 2 hours in a $1600 machine. I saw in the internet some guys saying that your gl502vs can go beyond 5 hours in daily use! Probably that guys have made some kind of fine adjustments.

Jamreal78
I read this topic. I have experiencied this kind of problem yesterday after played the GOW4. My battery drop to 97%. Today the battery took a long time to return to 100%. This really cause me a little concern, because I don't know if this kind of issue can diminish the battery life.

lucianomattar wrote:
Link626
Maybe I wanting too much of a 4 cell battery, but is a little bit stranger that sometimes the battery lifetime is near to a 2 hours in a $1600 machine. I saw in the internet some guys saying that your gl502vs can go beyond 5 hours in daily use! Probably that guys have made some kind of fine adjustments.

impossible. read all the press reviews of the 502VS. No one is getting 5 hours from a 65whr battery with no Optimus.

it doesn't matter how many cells a battery has. It's the whr rating that matters, and other laptops have 90whr batteries at the expense of a 2.5" hard drive.

it also doesn't matter how much the computer costs. They just can't fit a 99whr battery into this one to give you 4-5 hours.

If you can undervolt and underclock the cpu and gpu, you can probably squeeze out another 1 hour battery life. You really don't need the full cpu power to do tasks on battery power.

set cpu limit to 1.2ghz, undervolt it by a lot, limit gpu to 500mhz and undervolt, and test.
This should be enough for streaming videos and web browsing.

Man, this is the review that I cited. I've made a question to the guy and his answer was that life of this battery is between 5 ~ 8 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZL-8qk_ss

Ok, I made a research and I discovered that this guy in the video probably was lying. The more professional reviews say that lifetime is short.

I appreciated your help. Maybe I can use your tip about undervolt the cpu, is a very smart way to save energy in case of problems in find a power socket.

Now, I'm concerned with the problem of battery drain. I'll wait a little for a solution before I ask for refund. I really like this computer, but a saw the MSI gt62vr like a good option.

the youtube review you cited, at 6:25, says 3 hours tops.
The guy does not say 5 hours anywhere.

lucianomattar wrote:
Man, this is the review that I cited. I've made a question to the guy and his answer was that life of this battery is between 5 ~ 8 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZL-8qk_ss

Ok, I made a research and I discovered that this guy in the video probably was lying. The more professional reviews say that lifetime is short.

I appreciated your help. Maybe I can use your tip about undervolt the cpu, is a very smart way to save energy in case of problems in find a power socket.

Now, I'm concerned with the problem of battery drain. I'll wait a little for a solution before I ask for refund. I really like this computer, but a saw the MSI gt62vr like a good option.

See my question in the comments.

link626
Level 7
his comment contradicts his video. He must have been drunk when he replied to your comment.

Even core i7 laptops with no dgpu can't reach 6-8 hours on a 64whr battery.