cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking tutorial about installing bootable M.2 SSD on GL502VMK that came with no SSD

adelwich
Level 7
Hi,

I am hoping to install an NVME M.2 PCle SSD in the open dock on my new GL502VMK. This resource from the ROG site was a good start, but I still have a few questions:

• Where do I find the serial number for my copy of Windows 10? I hunted for a sticker on the bottom of the notebook, but could not find anything.

• Does anyone have any personal experience, tips and warnings about this process?

• In the past, I have always had to install the OS from a Flash drive. In this situation, I will be attaching an SSD in an empty bay. Does that mean that I can just install Windows on the drive from my currently active hard drive and then just tweak the BIOS settings to change the boot drive? If so, that is completely awesome.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Aaron
7 REPLIES 7

haihane
Level 13
Where do I find the serial number for my copy of Windows 10? I hunted for a sticker on the bottom of the notebook, but could not find anything.

do you mean the product key that comes with your laptop?

Does anyone have any personal experience, tips and warnings about this process?

not directly.
tell me your concern(s). i'm not sure what to look out for if you don't tell me.

In the past, I have always had to install the OS from a Flash drive. In this situation, I will be attaching an SSD in an empty bay. Does that mean that I can just install Windows on the drive from my currently active hard drive and then just tweak the BIOS settings to change the boot drive? If so, that is completely awesome.

i don't understand this question 😕
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

To clarify:

1) On all previous computers I have owned, the product key was written on a label that was attached to the bottom of the laptop. That is not the case with this new laptop. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a reformatted hard drive, and it will ask me to enter the product key. Where do I find the key?

2) I have installed SSD drives in three previous laptops. In all three of those instances, I had to remove the original hard drive from the computer, insert the new SSD, and boot into Windows installation from a flash drive attached to a USB port. In this case, I actually have an empty slot that is just waiting for me to attach an SSD to it. I was wondering if I can do this: boot up the non-SSD drive which is currently the master drive, install a bootable version of Windows 10 from an ISO file stored on the current master drive, and then hop into the bios and tell the system to boot from the SSD instead of the current drive.

Thanks,
Aaron

As for the other question, I asked if anyone had tips/warnings/experiences related to this project. Someone asked "not directly.
tell me your concern(s). i'm not sure what to look out for if you don't tell me."

Since this is a forum for people who have GL502 laptops, it seemed possible that someone else might have gone through this process. I have no idea what sorts of things people might have encountered, but there must be some personal experiences. For example:

• "I thought the screws would be easy to remove, but they weren't."
  • "I accidentally fried my drive because I forgot to discharge static electricity."
  • "The product page on Best Buy said that it would definitely support format X, but it actually supports format Y."
  • "I initially tried to install model X from manufacturer Y, and it was totally a nightmare. I switched to model Q from manufacturer Z and it worked just fine."

I just made up those things as examples. I can't tell you what to look out for because I don't know what other people's experiences are. If you don't have any personal experiences with this, no big deal. 🙂

Aaron

adelwich wrote:
To clarify:

1) On all previous computers I have owned, the product key was written on a label that was attached to the bottom of the laptop. That is not the case with this new laptop. I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a reformatted hard drive, and it will ask me to enter the product key. Where do I find the key?

2) I have installed SSD drives in three previous laptops. In all three of those instances, I had to remove the original hard drive from the computer, insert the new SSD, and boot into Windows installation from a flash drive attached to a USB port. In this case, I actually have an empty slot that is just waiting for me to attach an SSD to it. I was wondering if I can do this: boot up the non-SSD drive which is currently the master drive, install a bootable version of Windows 10 from an ISO file stored on the current master drive, and then hop into the bios and tell the system to boot from the SSD instead of the current drive.

Thanks,
Aaron

1. two laptop units i bought (one in late 2015, one early 2017) no longer have any product key stickers anywhere either, instead:

the product key is embedded inside the UEFI. you'd need to use easyBCD 's product key viewer to extract key out. this is one method that i know of to extract product key. but usually you don't need to extract Product key and can just hit "i don't have a product key" during windows 10 installation because windows should activate itself afterwards when you connect to the internet.

2. umm, you should be able to do that.
won't you end up with two drives that can boot into windows 10? any reason for doing it this way (or are you planning to remove the original drive afterwards)?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

This is great. Thanks! Since this is a brand new machine, I don't have much on the non-SSD hard drive yet. Once the SSD is booting properly, I plan to reformat the non-SSD drive as a standard, non-bootable drive.

Here is a tip for anyone reading this thread in the future:

For some strange reason, manufacturers often do not ship the M.2 SSD with the tiny screw that is necessary in order to attach it firmly to the motherboard. Make sure that you acquire this screw before you attempt to install the drive.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Regardless of the platform, the game remains the same.
You dont need a license or a fresh install. Your OEM install is registered by the hardware. All part of the UEFI enhancement.
Best M2 SSDs bar none are the Samsungs. Choose your poison, install it, use the Samsung data migration software to clone your existing drive, done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein