cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 950 pro m.2 not recognized in gl552vw

asusj890
Level 7
I just installed the samsung 950 pro NVMe 256gb ssd into the m.2 slot on my asus gl552vw win10 with a 1tb 7200rpm hdd and I tried to add the samsung NVMe driver after booting and I'm getting this error:

"Samsung NVM Express device is not connected, Connect the device and try again."

This is the US version, Asus GL552VW-DH71 Just bought it from microcenter

CHecked system info and Bios Mode is UEFI

Bios version 213 from 10/22/2015
SMBIOS version 3.0

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model GL552VW (U3E1)
Version 1.0
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model ID1910
Chipset Revision 07
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Skylake-H PCH
Southbridge Revision 31
System Temperature 43 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version GL552VW.213
Date 10/22/2015
PCI Data

Looking at the drives and it's not showing up.........not seeing the NVMe ssd at all

opening the samsung data migration software and it's not showing in there either.

what is the problem?

trying to migrate the win10 os from the existing hdd to this new NVMe m.2 card and use that for boot and then wipe the hdd and use that as the second drive for storage
6 REPLIES 6

jarablue
Level 7
My laptop GL752VW only supports SATA3 M2 ssds not PCIE M2 ssds. Could this be your problem?

jarablue wrote:
My laptop GL752VW only supports SATA3 M2 ssds not PCIE M2 ssds. Could this be your problem?

it might be the problem, jarablue, i'm having a hard time finding out. Asus support has been less than helpful, i asked if my motherboard supported NVMe m.2 cards and i got 2 different answers.....yes and no.

SO i went myself to try and see if my motherboard supports nvme, and it couldn't be harder to find any information on the motherboard

using the special rog version of cpu-z gives me some information about the motherboard but i'm finding little information thru google to tell me if it will work with nvme cards

frustrating..........can't understand why they make this so difficult

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
asusj890 wrote:

frustrating..........can't understand why they make this so difficult

Yes, sorry this couldn't be easier for both of us.

Anyway, there are different motherboards used for the GL552VW series to support either M.2 SATA3 SSDs or M.2 PCIe SSDs, and it's been confirmed the GL552VW-DH71 sold in the U.S. and Canada is only supporting M.2 SATA3 SSDs as mentioned in the post below.
Hope this clears things up, but feel free to discuss.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot

Post #7:

cl-Albert wrote:

Normally different countries don't sell the same full model names, but the U.S. and Canada are both part of the 'North America' region and are selling the exact same GL552VW-DH71 model in both countries in this case.
We can use different motherboards for the GL552VW models that we internally identify as 'SATA' or 'PCIE' and I'm showing that the GL552VW-DH71 model is using 'SATA' motherboards for the M.2 slot.

Customers with other GL552VW models will need to figure out which kind of motherboard they have first and the kind of M.2 SSDs it supports.

cl-Albert wrote:
Yes, sorry this couldn't be easier for both of us.

Anyway, there are different motherboards used for the GL552VW series to support either M.2 SATA3 SSDs or M.2 PCIe SSDs, and it's been confirmed the GL552VW-DH71 sold in the U.S. and Canada is only supporting M.2 SATA3 SSDs as mentioned in the post below.
Hope this clears things up, but feel free to discuss.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot

Post #7:

thanks cl=Albert

ok then, next question would be can i put 2 ssd drives in this system? 1 sata ssd drive going into the m.2 slot , which i would migrate the os over to and use for boot and then put a second ssd in place of the existing hdd and use for storing data?

rep at microcenter said this might not work as the motherboard might only support 1 ssd drive, not 2

thanks for your clarification

jarablue
Level 7
No. Putting a regular 2.5 inch ssd in the drive slot where the 7200rpm is now would work fine. There is no limitation. It's just a dumb port. The laptop would support 2 ssds no problem. I would think. I can't see Asus making a limitation in hardware like that. Just make sure you get m2x3 screws to secure your m2 ssd to the motherboard. My laptop didn't come with the screw. Had to order some from Amazon.

About Asus support, the support rep had no idea. And told me that it supported only pcie m2's not sata3. Which was the exact opposite of what it supports. Do your own homework. Don't rely on those reps. A lot smarter people on the internet.

sayantanguharoy
Level 7
hello folks
gl552vw no nvme support as per asus india website
gl552vx nvme support (source : https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VX/specifications/) check storage.

🙂