cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strx Scar 18 (2023) - SSD upgrade question (4TB)

Phil_K
Level 8
Hi Hive-mind. 🙂

Has anyone already tried to upgrade the SSDs in the 2023 Scar Strix 18 with double-sided SSDs?
Haven't found any official information about ssd upgrades yet.

The 2TB versions all seem to come with MZVL22T0HBLB-00B00 type SSDs which are "Samsung PM9A1 NVMe", which are single-sided SSDs and 2,38 mm thick.
Guess SSD-1 should be no problem.. maybe the spacer has to be reduced a bit or replaced by another one.

Thanks
Phil.
11 REPLIES 11

You say up to 3.5mm thick should be OK. I see that there are 8K SSDs ("SB-RKT4P-8TB" 2.8mm thick). Any idea about this prospect?   https://sabrent.com/products/sb-rkt4p-8tb  With two of those we'd be up to 16TB for this machine. 

Only on the basis of the SSDs already mentioned here. The Kingston KC3000 I use is max. 3.5mm thick in the 2-4TB versions.
Thus, it fits without pressure points, bending points or stress on the WiFi module. The Samsung 2Tb MZVL22T0HBLB-00B00 used by ASUS are only 2.38mm thick.

By that, the Sabrent mentioned with 2.8mm should fit without problems assuming it is a M.2 2280.
But I have to admit, that is only by the dimensions.

Currently I run my Scar 18 with the default 2TB as boot drive and the 4TB as 2nd drive.
Even I do 360° video editing it's enough storage at the moment and it is still comfortable to handle related to backups. 🙂

16 TB is a future option indeed. But currently I use external T7 SSDs for fast bulk storage.