cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scar III G731GW FPS Problems in some games

georgesocol
Level 7
Hello!
I bought my first gaming laptop 6 months ago, it is a G731GW, it has a I9 processor and RTX 2070 graphics card. Everything went smoothly with it until I've noticed that in some games my FPS is way too low. I am talking about League of Legends and CSGO. I've tried numerous things to change in the NVIDIA Control panel settings, I tried reinstalling my windows, uninstalling GeForce Experience and getting rid of apps that may cause a problem. I've seen that, for example, in League of Legends my FPS is the same no matter the graphics I am playing on, and it's very weird that I get around 80-100 constant FPS although my laptop (just by looking at the specs) can easily run 300-400 FPS, I've also looked on some sites that tell you approximately how many frames you should get, but my laptop doesn't even get close to those frames.

I've tried using turbo mode via Armoury Crate, didn't seem to help. Also I've noticed that when I play League that my graphics card is only 25-30% used, when the integrated one is like 90%. I tried changing which card my pc to use via NVIDIA Control Panel, but I feel that my laptop doesn't want to use my graphics card, I don't know why, and it's very annoying because the game feels so laggy at 80 FPS. I've also looked on the battery settings and the power saver settings, but they look normal, they shouldn't limit the pc.

Please, I really want to fix this problem, it's very annoying and I want to enjoy the games as I am supposed to on this 3000$ laptop, I don't want to feel that I've wasted my money on this.
10 REPLIES 10

KorosuKivy
Level 10
georgesocol wrote:
Hello!
I bought my first gaming laptop 6 months ago, it is a G731GW, it has a I9 processor and RTX 2070 graphics card. Everything went smoothly with it until I've noticed that in some games my FPS is way too low. I am talking about League of Legends and CSGO. I've tried numerous things to change in the NVIDIA Control panel settings, I tried reinstalling my windows, uninstalling GeForce Experience and getting rid of apps that may cause a problem. I've seen that, for example, in League of Legends my FPS is the same no matter the graphics I am playing on, and it's very weird that I get around 80-100 constant FPS although my laptop (just by looking at the specs) can easily run 300-400 FPS, I've also looked on some sites that tell you approximately how many frames you should get, but my laptop doesn't even get close to those frames.

I've tried using turbo mode via Armoury Crate, didn't seem to help. Also I've noticed that when I play League that my graphics card is only 25-30% used, when the integrated one is like 90%. I tried changing which card my pc to use via NVIDIA Control Panel, but I feel that my laptop doesn't want to use my graphics card, I don't know why, and it's very annoying because the game feels so laggy at 80 FPS. I've also looked on the battery settings and the power saver settings, but they look normal, they shouldn't limit the pc.

Please, I really want to fix this problem, it's very annoying and I want to enjoy the games as I am supposed to on this 3000$ laptop, I don't want to feel that I've wasted my money on this.

Can you show me the following.
Screen shoting your Nvidia settings (not the geforce experience)
Pastebin your dxdiag and post link here
And whats your vsync setting set to?

KorosuKivy wrote:
Can you show me the following.
Screen shoting your Nvidia settings (not the geforce experience)
Pastebin your dxdiag and post link here
And whats your vsync setting set to?

This is the link for my NVIDIA Settings:
https://imgur.com/l55bKOM

This is for dxdiag
https://pastebin.pl/view/7515fe87

My vsync is always off, i saw that is very inefficient turning it on

georgesocol wrote:
This is the link for my NVIDIA Settings:
https://imgur.com/l55bKOM

This is for dxdiag
https://pastebin.pl/view/7515fe87

My vsync is always off, i saw that is very inefficient turning it on

So try these settings from bottom to top:
texture filtering - trilinear filtering on
texture filtering - quality High Performance
texture filtering - negative LOD bias allow - which you already have on
texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimisation on

I'm assuming you have the RTX as your default adapter and not running the integrated at all? (Except you might want to manually to the integrated setup for mundane applications)

Once you have done that. If it works that's fine if not go back into it and find the setting max framerate off set it to on and set FPS to refresh rate (Which I'm assuming is 240MHz set to the refresh rate of your monitor / 999 I find 1000 to be weird.

Some games will use this some wont some may even just goto the refresh rate of your monitor your DXDiag shows that your monitor is running on 240 so there's nothing wrong with the driver on that.

Your nvidia driver is
Driver File Version: 26.21.0014.4253 (English)
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4253
Driver Date/Size: 26-Feb-20 1:00:00 AM, 962976 bytes - out of date either run Geforce experience to get latest drivers or https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/ Latest driver was released on 4 oct 2020

I would recommend using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html downloading the support tool and updating your intel drivers

**** The intel graphics card has ALOT of issues on some games for example killing floor 2 where it wont do full screen and other weird and wonderful issues.**** it may be a case that you have to flip flop between the asus verified driver and the up to date intel driver to make things work****

Also here's a link to direct X https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35 run the installer see if it states you have the latest version.

Other than that Changing profile wont make difference. the Nvidia framerate suggestion is random between apps some will run higher some will stay the same just gotta batter up on that front.

Let me know how ya get on.

KorosuKivy wrote:
So try these settings from bottom to top:
texture filtering - trilinear filtering on
texture filtering - quality High Performance
texture filtering - negative LOD bias allow - which you already have on
texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimisation on

I'm assuming you have the RTX as your default adapter and not running the integrated at all? (Except you might want to manually to the integrated setup for mundane applications)

Once you have done that. If it works that's fine if not go back into it and find the setting max framerate off set it to on and set FPS to refresh rate (Which I'm assuming is 240MHz set to the refresh rate of your monitor / 999 I find 1000 to be weird.

Some games will use this some wont some may even just goto the refresh rate of your monitor your DXDiag shows that your monitor is running on 240 so there's nothing wrong with the driver on that.

Your nvidia driver is
Driver File Version: 26.21.0014.4253 (English)
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4253
Driver Date/Size: 26-Feb-20 1:00:00 AM, 962976 bytes - out of date either run Geforce experience to get latest drivers or https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/ Latest driver was released on 4 oct 2020

I would recommend using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html downloading the support tool and updating your intel drivers

**** The intel graphics card has ALOT of issues on some games for example killing floor 2 where it wont do full screen and other weird and wonderful issues.**** it may be a case that you have to flip flop between the asus verified driver and the up to date intel driver to make things work****

Also here's a link to direct X https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35 run the installer see if it states you have the latest version.

Other than that Changing profile wont make difference. the Nvidia framerate suggestion is random between apps some will run higher some will stay the same just gotta batter up on that front.

Let me know how ya get on.

I was using that Nvidia driver version because I read on a thread that it could be better to use an older-Asus verified- version, but of course that didn't work.
I tried doing all the things you said here, but unfortunately a change doesn't seem to appear.
I have the RTX as the "High-performance Nvidia processor" in the preferred graphics card tab. I've also noticed something strange, I think? For example if I right-click on the desktop and go to display settings in the advanced options tab I can see that "Display 1: Connected to Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630" and not the 2070. Is that an example of the issue? Or it doesn't affect it at all?

I don't mind switching absolutely all the apps on the RTX as long as I know it will perform better, if I could I would just rip that Integrated graphics out of my pc so I can be sure it will stick to my Nvidia.

georgesocol wrote:
I've also noticed something strange, I think? For example if I right-click on the desktop and go to display settings in the advanced options tab I can see that "Display 1: Connected to Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630" and not the 2070. Is that an example of the issue? Or it doesn't affect it at all?

Thats normal since the RTX chip is just a pass through the intel driver carries the refresh rate and all the settings.

IMO I honestly think that all the laptops are poorly setup for the RTX series since a lot of games don't even run properly (have FPS or resolution problems) because config problems between the GPU's

Was hoping that something might have worked for you

KorosuKivy wrote:
Thats normal since the RTX chip is just a pass through the intel driver carries the refresh rate and all the settings.

IMO I honestly think that all the laptops are poorly setup for the RTX series since a lot of games don't even run properly (have FPS or resolution problems) because config problems between the GPU's

Well, if it was for me, I wouldn't have bought this laptop, I prefer PC's, but since I started university and had to change countries, I couldn't take my PC with me. Anyway, thank you for your help, I think it's a hopeless mystery why my laptop does this, it's curious that only 1 game did this to me. Or maybe I didn't find the other ones, who knows. Maybe in some time a solution will appear, I hope so.

KorosuKivy wrote:

Doesn't work properly?!? Really?!?!? It's the first time I see someone having issues with RTX2060/2070 on a laptop. Another misleading sentence. It's a problem with the setup or drivers, not the hardware.

AtGrigorov wrote:
Doesn't work properly?!? Really?!?!? It's the first time I see someone having issues with RTX2060/2070 on a laptop. Another misleading sentence. It's a problem with the setup or drivers, not the hardware.

It's mostly to do with killing floor 2 and just that game the Nvidia driver be it the Asus stock/ upto date driver isn't detecting resolutions. However this is fixed by disabling the Intel chip... But that in its self causes problems with everything else I've tried different driver versions and alternating between stock and latest and nothing works except disabling the Intel chip 😖 I just gave up on killing floor 2 and just play other games but yea there is a problem between both GPUs on different games fan-FN-tastic wouldn't you agree

KorosuKivy wrote:
It's mostly to do with killing floor 2 and just that game the Nvidia driver be it the Asus stock/ upto date driver isn't detecting resolutions. However this is fixed by disabling the Intel chip... But that in its self causes problems with everything else I've tried different driver versions and alternating between stock and latest and nothing works except disabling the Intel chip 😖 I just gave up on killing floor 2 and just play other games but yea there is a problem between both GPUs on different games fan-FN-tastic wouldn't you agree

I still bet on wrong setup or game tweaks/programing. Not the drivers.