cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix SCAR 18 (2023) RAM upgrade to 5600 DDR5

F0t0n
Level 8
I just bought 64Gb Kingston Fury Impact DDR5 5600 CL40 (2×32Gb) model KF556S40IBK2-64 https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?partid=KF556S40IBK2-64.
I mounted it to my strix scar 18 and... it does not turn on, does not even enter bios. Only the keyboards lights up... I suspected that the ram might not work at 5600, but I thought it would just work at 4800 and I would have a 64Gb 4800. My bios updated to last v 305.
Now I put back my 32Gb... And the new ram just put it on the shelf... Waste of money.
It is great laptop, and i9 13980hx supports 5600 RAM. It is sad that it not work with scar 18.
We can only hope that Asus will someday add support for 5600 ram in future bios updates.
Any suggestions, why this RAM do not work even on 4800 with scar 18? I think it should work...
37 REPLIES 37

Yokehoo
Level 11

Bild_2023-04-10_223904816.png

Ravenik
Level 8

Is this 2x32GB RAM kit 100% stable in Scar 18 laptop????? My scar was freezing and not responding occasionally, but now for more than 2 weeks no any freezing. It is now fully stable. I would rather not install RAM which gives even occasionally freezes or blue screens. I ask because I consider buying this RAM kit. Thanks.

@Ravenik 

I'm using this Kit since the first day witout any issues. No BSOD, no freezes, nothing like that. The first BIOS Version on my model was 302. Meanwhile it upgraded itself to 308 ( where the screenshot was taken from ) wihout any issues.

On HWInfo it says, there SK Hynix A-Die chips on it and I think to remember that they where working very well in desktop combinations up to 8000MT/s on 13th Gen Desktop CPU's so I didin't expect any problems in my laptop from the beginnig while upgrading.

But please keep in mind, that I'm only an enduser of this product. I don't know if you have the possibility to test this Kit in a local store round your neigbourhood with a friendly dealer that will help you with your upgrade. That would be the safest way to test it out.

Reminder:

Please be patient and let the system do it's initiation / trim on the first start... It can take a while till the system starts... Don't give up and let the system do it's job till it finally starts and then have fun 👍

HWInfo3.jpg

Here are some additional informations of my modules running on my system ( taken by HWInfo ).

Hopefully ASUS will support 5600 MT/s in the future

Intel HX.jpg

Bill_O
Level 8

new bios Version 309 on the 18, no new ram speed?

HenryRichard001
Level 8

I upgraded to bios 309 and no change for the ram memories. I did an upgrade with Kit 32gbx2 kingston fury and it still runs at 4800 frequencies instead of 5600.

I'm not sure 64gb 5600 is possible anywhere though. Could you try just one stick?

test with a single 32gb ram, it still runs at 4800mhz. I saw on another forum, maybe in dual channel 2x16gb 5600 with bios 302 and then up to 309 it runs at 5600mhz from what I saw in the screenshots, but I'm not sure. At least to me in the task manager it marks me 4800Mhz in 1x32gb and 2x32gb.

HenryRichard001
Level 8

ok, I'll try, when I finish the work I'll try with just one memory. I will let you know the results.

Yokehoo
Level 11

In an other thread MasterC wrote some words to that...

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-strix-series/i-want-to-upgrade-rog-strix-g18-2023-ram-to-5600mhz-i...

Up to this informations only 8GB and 16GB single sided modules where supported to run at 5600MT/s ( in summary 16GB or 32GB as a kit ). Our 32GB double sided RAM will still only run in 4800MT/s 😞 Even Intel ist talking about 5200MT/s for these modules but ASUS won't support XMP. The main reason ( told me from the ASUS support here ), they don't support OC... Quite funny 'cause ROG was the main brand I looked for when it goes up to OC and stability, but it looks like that this only affects desktop models and no laptops with the same ROG brand in their name 😞 

We're all still in hope that ASUS will support the faster RAM clocks ( or activates XMP profile possibility in BIOS ) in the future.