cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix SCAR 18 (2023) In Game Stuttering

Simon6226
Level 8
Hi,

I recently purchased a new Strix Scar 18 4090. I've noticed that when playing games I get small microstutter (looks like inconsistent frame pacing). I am on the latest bios 302 and Armoury crate and I have tried a Windows re-install but that didn't fix it.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? I saw a few similar problems on reddit and I might try removing Armoury Crate this evening to see if that fixes it but it's not an ideal solution because it's quite useful being able to switch between dGPU/iGPU and being able to change the various performance modes.

Also as a side note... has anyone with this model also got fairly loud coil whine? It's drowned out by the fans once they kick in unless I'm close to the device but it's very noticable. I gather it's normal but I've never had that in a laptop before.

Thanks for any help in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Simon6226
Level 8
Small update. I have tried:

• Uninstalling Armoury Crate
  • Disabling GSync
  • Swapping between Optimus and dGPU only

Unfortunately none of those have fixed the issue. I also noticed that the GPU wattage drops considerably during the stutters (150w down to about 40w) - not sure if that helps at all.

hexaae
Level 12
Since you already tried the Optimus/dGPU thing... it could be a factory defect (bad GPU/VRM pasting?) 😞
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Since you already tried the Optimus/dGPU thing... it could be a factory defect (bad GPU/VRM pasting?) 😞

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry for the delay. I ended up returning it after your message and got a replacement unit. This one has been perfect so I think you were correct with it being a factory defect. Guess I just got unlucky with that first unit 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Is the coil whine THAT loud?

Can you make a video of it? No review shows this.

Darnassus wrote:
Is the coil whine THAT loud?

Can you make a video of it? No review shows this.

Hi Darnassus!

Sorry for the delay. Here's a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDTCEuB1MuSxWAx1vWLidzpERaaTtTF3/view?usp=share_link

It's easily audible when a game first starts up but once the fans kick in you won't be able to notice it.

hexaae
Level 12
Great! Have fun, and let us know about that beast of a laptop! 😉
Strange unexplainable GPU slowdowns and stutterings (given all temps are ok) can sometimes be a VRM overheating issue (those lines of mosfets and inductors over the CPU) . The problem is VRM has no monitoring so you never know and you have to open it...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

ulo6
Level 7

Hey same omg what should i do please help  me i bought from canada computer 

borgy09
Level 7

hy! i had the same issue as you i even contacted asus and microsoft about this but that did not helped too much. but let's say 2 weeks ago after an win 11 update and bios update the laptop started to work really well ... don't understant what caused it to work propperly , but before that i disbaled e-core's in games and worked very well for me.

nadj
Level 7

I returned my G18 due to coil whine noise occurring even at idle. Unbearable. and fatiguing when sat next to the laptop. Loyal Asus customer but no more until they address these issues. Strix III also had it but I could control it via Armoury Crate. Not this time.