cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scar 17 / 19-12900h + 3080Ti HOT

JHR1979
Level 7
Just got my new 2022 model ROG Strix Scar 17 wih i9-12900h + 3080Ti mobile.

The CPU seems to be running very hot, even if i set the laptop on silent mode AND limit the cpu frequency to 99% power profile, it is still running around 85-90 celcius keeping the fans quite loud. And this is while running somewhat light games as Valheim, and its FPS limited to 85 fps in nvidia drivers.

Not happy with this at all.
18 REPLIES 18

JazzyJag70
Level 7
I'm also experiencing the some issues with very high temperatures of the CPU and this shouldn't be the case with your top tier line of gaming laptops. I shouldn't have to mickey mouse the power to obtain proper operating temperatures when gaming. This needs to be addressed immediately and would expect a fix from Asus ASAP. Other than the CPU temperature issues this 2022 Asus Strix Scar G7333ZX DS94 laptop is amazing. Please address this issue.

restsugavan
Level 13
CPU + GPU were bringing a lot of heat. Maybe we need some kind of chiller or apply custom cooler under these models.
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Same problem with G533ZW. I am just tired of this problem.
If ASUS doesn't repair it soon, I will just return the laptop for thermal throttling issues.
You can put in the fridge, it will not cool down. I tried.

For what it's worth, check out the attached to see my temp and throttling data after just a single Cinebench R23 multi-core run and a complete PassMark 10 benchmark.

I hit 100C package temp in one test.

I also tested with and without Intel's Dynamic Tuning Technology Driver on a fresh OS as well as the factory OS...

DZelmer
Level 7
JHR1979 wrote:
Just got my new 2022 model ROG Strix Scar 17 wih i9-12900h + 3080Ti mobile.

The CPU seems to be running very hot, even if i set the laptop on silent mode AND limit the cpu frequency to 99% power profile, it is still running around 85-90 celcius keeping the fans quite loud. And this is while running somewhat light games as Valheim, and its FPS limited to 85 fps in nvidia drivers.

Not happy with this at all.

Same problem Same computer cpu runs scary hot while gaming no matter what power profile i have it on if i set the fans to full it helps some but is extremely loud and this at 68 to 72 deg F In a air-conditioned room or basement. I am sending mine back for a check out. See what they say. I'm scared to run it outside with its 80+ f out.

the problem is in their recent bios update I guess and even when you downgrade it doesn't help. when I swap the profiles in Crate and reboot my laptop it helps to recover RPM speed. otherwise it's bugged. it can stack on 1600RPM and can't cool down the CPU

Well i sent it back to asus for them to fix it...i was told they reset it to factory stock so...its being shipped back as i type this so we will see I'm assuming they put windows 11 back on it...so i get to reinstall all my 2 current games and benchmarks...for a 3rd time any more trouble with this expensive lap burner and im just going to return it😖 out of the box windows 11 lasted 20 min. Did a couple benchmarks then let a 100+ gig game download went and got some food came back to the computer later windows 11 would not log back in no matter what i did. Click sign in would start to sign in then sign in would just pop back up grayed out and not so any thing...tried every thing i could think of and every thing i could google even sent where i got the computer from a email all they could come up with was stuff i tried already...clean install was needed so i did 10 wasn't impressed with my 20 min of win 11....finally got the games installed 3 days after i got the computer.... and ya ran so hot i couldn't stand it on my lap! Cpu throttling...gpu seemed great. Was under 70c cpu not so much 90 to 100+ constant thermal throttling only after 10 min of firing up cyberpunk or fallout 76 and for fun fallout 4 just hottttt 30% cpu load also....🔥🔥🔥🤯

I have the same laptop, it runs hot as well even with max fan speed. Hopefully there will be a patch to at least let us undervolt the cpu.Â*

klopez0017 wrote:
I have the same laptop, it runs hot as well even with max fan speed. Hopefully there will be a patch to at least let us undervolt the cpu.Â*

This would be great and more than normal.