cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GL702ZC RAM and Accurate upgrade Information please!

AgentHunk
Level 8
This is what I am looking for and I need to find out what type of 2666 to look for?
I already know about the 2400MHz brands,I am thinking ahead and planning longterm for the 2666MHz brand sticks to better improve CPU+GPU Performance in the future.

DDR4 2400mhz 16GB samsung PC4-19200 M471A2K43CB1-CRC

Any helpful member's have Information to help me find the correct 2666MHz RAM for this model laptop would be greatly appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

deksman2 wrote:
I don't think Asus mentioned anything about providing support up to 2020.
AMD however said that the B350 AM4 chipset would support all upcoming Ryzen processors up until 2020... but just because AMD supports that and will release AGESA for it, doesn't mean OEM's (like Asus) will use it to upgrade their motherboard BIOS/UEFI.

For example, AMD released AGESA for high frequency RAM and Ryzen+ a while ago... but Asus have NOT implemented this into GL702ZC bios.

I think Asus might release some token changes to the BIOS (such as improved security), but other than that, I would not hold out for Ryzen +, Zen 2 or high frequency RAM support.

Someone on Linux forums might release a modified BIOS for GL702ZC which could unlock all of the UEFI/BIOS settings, include high frequency RAM and Zen 2 support... but as of yet, I have not heard anything in that regard.

let's all call the office and bombard them with request....and drive them to the point of releasing it...:)
they make more money of they do,why?more people would buy roggy and have a home somewhere ....I think asus could make more than any other product...here this one might be the prodcut talked about for years that outsaled and outproduced any other....

why is asus blind to this fact?????

deksman2 wrote:
For the record, that was not a personal opinion.
Its' based on other users failed attempts to make 2600 MhZ RAM try to work in GL702ZC and what Asus said (that they do NOT support higher frequencies than 2400 MhZ in GL702ZC and that they had 0 intentions of releasing a new bios to support higher frequencies).

Amazon sells so-dimm DDR4 2666 in various options:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=...

You can select which configuration you want, and the 32GB version seems relatively cheap now.

what type of SSD should I look for?and can I put a 2 TB in there?

FastM
Level 8
as mentioned these laptops wont take advantage of the XMP profiles when buying performance RAM.

I recommend finding a kit with the Lowest possible CAS Latency around the 2400mhz mark. dropping from say 19 to 16 will have a bigger impact on overall performance vs a couple hundred Mhz.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

This link is a great writeup explaining how important CAS latency is when shopping for memory, looking at the table lower down the page you'll see that "slower" 1866mhz ran with a CL of 13 has in certain applications similar performance of 2666mhz @ CL18 "apps that rely more on total bandwidth will obviously perform better with the higher mhz, games however perform better with lower CL (while maintaining the highest mhz) since the data being requested is always changing"