cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GL702ZC RAM and Accurate upgrade Information please!

AgentHunk
Level 8
This is what I am looking for and I need to find out what type of 2666 to look for?
I already know about the 2400MHz brands,I am thinking ahead and planning longterm for the 2666MHz brand sticks to better improve CPU+GPU Performance in the future.

DDR4 2400mhz 16GB samsung PC4-19200 M471A2K43CB1-CRC

Any helpful member's have Information to help me find the correct 2666MHz RAM for this model laptop would be greatly appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

deksman2 wrote:
If Asus releases a microcode update for Ryzen 2700, it would probably enhance GPU performance as various games do still like higher frequencies after all.
However, there is no guarantee they will also release the needed code for higher RAM frequencies (as those alone can also boost FPS).

Personally, I'd prefer Asus releases support for Zen 2 because we will get much higher frequency CPU at same TDP with revamped architecture and Infinity Fabric... along with high RAM support.

I really don't understand why Asus is being stingy.
Limiting even the RAM to 2400 MhZ is stupid, considering that 3000 MhZ for laptops existed for months (it existed by the time GL702ZC hit the market).

but why 3000 mhz?that is too extreme why not settle for 2666mhz?it is cheaper.

AgentHunk wrote:
but why 3000 mhz?that is too extreme why not settle for 2666mhz?it is cheaper.

Well, 3000 MhZ seems to be a good 'sweet spot'... however, high RAM frequencies alone might not be great, and 2600 MhZ as you say is cheaper.
I could settle with 2600 MhZ and low timings... but the problem is that most laptop RAM with high frequencies (above 2400 MhZ)have much higher timings and latency (it was demonstrated in various tests that lower timings/latency RAM improves performance just as good or better than higher frequency RAM).

deksman2 wrote:
Well, 3000 MhZ seems to be a good 'sweet spot'... however, high RAM frequencies alone might not be great, and 2600 MhZ as you say is cheaper.
I could settle with 2600 MhZ and low timings... but the problem is that most laptop RAM with high frequencies (above 2400 MhZ)have much higher timings and latency (it was demonstrated in various tests that lower timings/latency RAM improves performance just as good or better than higher frequency RAM).

ok,so 2666 is better?I just bought me an exact identical 16gb stick of mine installed and cant wait for dual channel activation.I'm excited...this is my first time having a system of 32GB ram..in a gaming laptop.
If 2666 is better than 2400 than why won't Asus support only 2666 instead since the system can handle a little boost?
I am sure everyone would be happy if we all got the Ryzen 7 2700 Cpu and 2666 Ram.

AgentHunk wrote:
ok,so 2666 is better?I just bought me an exact identical 16gb stick of mine installed and cant wait for dual channel activation.I'm excited...this is my first time having a system of 32GB ram..in a gaming laptop.
If 2666 is better than 2400 than why won't Asus support only 2666 instead since the system can handle a little boost?
I am sure everyone would be happy if we all got the Ryzen 7 2700 Cpu and 2666 Ram.

Ask Asus why they won't release BIOS support for faster RAM (its likely they won't provide you with a concise answer, or they might just ignore your question completely).

My hypothetical guess would be because Asus simply can't be bothered.
They released a baseline BIOS for GL702C which they tested and works.
I imagine that doing a microcode upgrade would take away a few hours of their 'precious' time by having to retest the machine and make sure everything works fine.
OEM's can be nasty and don't seem to really care about consumers who give them money (especially laptop users).

deksman2 wrote:
Ask Asus why they won't release BIOS support for faster RAM (its likely they won't provide you with a concise answer, or they might just ignore your question completely).

My hypothetical guess would be because Asus simply can't be bothered.
They released a baseline BIOS for GL702C which they tested and works.
I imagine that doing a microcode upgrade would take away a few hours of their 'precious' time by having to retest the machine and make sure everything works fine.
OEM's can be nasty and don't seem to really care about consumers who give them money (especially laptop users).

Off With Their Heads!!!!!!!Off With Their Heads!!!!!let's go back to those old days...bet they get motivated...

AgentHunk wrote:
Off With Their Heads!!!!!!!Off With Their Heads!!!!!let's go back to those old days...bet they get motivated...

The 'good old days' are highly overrated... however, companies and sellers of hardware (or anything for that matter) should be 'reminded' that we're the ones lining their pockets with their wages and profits.

I actually advocated on notebookreview forums that other GL702ZC users ban together and 'bombard' Asus with requests to upgrade the BIOS microcode to support high frequency RAM and Zen 2, because AMD designed hardware for upgradeability and modularity.
I agree that while the GPU is soldered, that creates problems in terms of upgradeability, but otherwise, giving us the ability to install high frequency and low latency RAM along with Zen 2 would greatly improve gaming capability and productivity (and probably efficiency too).

deksman2 wrote:
The 'good old days' are highly overrated... however, companies and sellers of hardware (or anything for that matter) should be 'reminded' that we're the ones lining their pockets with their wages and profits.

I actually advocated on notebookreview forums that other GL702ZC users ban together and 'bombard' Asus with requests to upgrade the BIOS microcode to support high frequency RAM and Zen 2, because AMD designed hardware for upgradeability and modularity.
I agree that while the GPU is soldered, that creates problems in terms of upgradeability, but otherwise, giving us the ability to install high frequency and low latency RAM along with Zen 2 would greatly improve gaming capability and productivity (and probably efficiency too).

Agreed.Now if I can just find that asus office number I can start annoying the CEO...lolz

AgentHunk wrote:
Agreed.Now if I can just find that asus office number I can start annoying the CEO...lolz

Tried that already.
The customer support number provided on the webpage only links you to people who know very little (if anything) about GL702ZC (or any other laptop in general) to help you solve actual problems.
They have virtually 0 clue if you ask them about engineering aspects.

However, there might be a way to get through to someone higher up the chain... namely, ask to speak to their superiors (manager or someone else as you have a question that only they could answer).
Keep requesting to speak to someone higher up until you get patched to the person who is willing and able to answer your questions.

deksman2 wrote:
For the record, that was not a personal opinion.
Its' based on other users failed attempts to make 2600 MhZ RAM try to work in GL702ZC and what Asus said (that they do NOT support higher frequencies than 2400 MhZ in GL702ZC and that they had 0 intentions of releasing a new bios to support higher frequencies).

Amazon sells so-dimm DDR4 2666 in various options:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=...

You can select which configuration you want, and the 32GB version seems relatively cheap now.

so,Is there any news on the ROG Strix GL702ZC from ASUS about any BIOS and Upgrades?They did mention support up to 2020...did they meant patches and software updates only?

AgentHunk wrote:
so,Is there any news on the ROG Strix GL702ZC from ASUS about any BIOS and Upgrades?They did mention support up to 2020...did they meant patches and software updates only?

I don't think Asus mentioned anything about providing support up to 2020.
AMD however said that the B350 AM4 chipset would support all upcoming Ryzen processors up until 2020... but just because AMD supports that and will release AGESA for it, doesn't mean OEM's (like Asus) will use it to upgrade their motherboard BIOS/UEFI.

For example, AMD released AGESA for high frequency RAM and Ryzen+ a while ago... but Asus have NOT implemented this into GL702ZC bios.

I think Asus might release some token changes to the BIOS (such as improved security), but other than that, I would not hold out for Ryzen +, Zen 2 or high frequency RAM support.

Someone on Linux forums might release a modified BIOS for GL702ZC which could unlock all of the UEFI/BIOS settings, include high frequency RAM and Zen 2 support... but as of yet, I have not heard anything in that regard.