cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GL702ZC RAM and Accurate upgrade Information please!

AgentHunk
Level 8
This is what I am looking for and I need to find out what type of 2666 to look for?
I already know about the 2400MHz brands,I am thinking ahead and planning longterm for the 2666MHz brand sticks to better improve CPU+GPU Performance in the future.

DDR4 2400mhz 16GB samsung PC4-19200 M471A2K43CB1-CRC

Any helpful member's have Information to help me find the correct 2666MHz RAM for this model laptop would be greatly appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

deksman2
Level 8
AgentHunk wrote:
This is what I am looking for and I need to find out what type of 2666 to look for?
I already know about the 2400MHz brands,I am thinking ahead and planning longterm for the 2666MHz brand sticks to better improve CPU+GPU Performance in the future.

Any helpful member's have Information to help me find the correct 2666MHz RAM for this model laptop would be greatly appreciated.

RAM sticks with frequencies above 2400 MhZ will NOT work in GL702ZC.
Asus simply refuses to release BIOS updates to include support for higher frequency RAM.
People already tried installing 2600MhZ RAM into the unit and it didn't work.

deksman2 wrote:
RAM sticks with frequencies above 2400 MhZ will NOT work in GL702ZC.
Asus simply refuses to release BIOS updates to include support for higher frequency RAM.
People already tried installing 2600MhZ RAM into the unit and it didn't work.

I don't care what your opinion is,I want the Information of the RAM type and model number and the like and I would like it posted in the comments section as I did.

Example:

2666 RAM Designation here:

please input ASAP.

Thank You.

AgentHunk wrote:
I don't care what your opinion is,I want the Information of the RAM type and model number and the like and I would like it posted in the comments section as I did.

Example:

please input ASAP.

Thank You.

Your overthinking it. Any DDR4 SODIMM “laptop ram” with work.*

Just find a good deal. These aren’t iMAC’s that are only compatible with certain types..

FastM wrote:

Just find a good deal. These aren’t iMAC’s that are only compatible with certain types..

wait a minute,what about the bios xmp profile?how do I get to bios and look for it and under what tab?

AgentHunk wrote:
wait a minute,what about the bios xmp profile?how do I get to bios and look for it and under what tab?

You can access the BIOS by pressing F2 button repeatedly immediately after you power up the unit from a shutdown or a restart... however, you will not be able to access the XMP profile because Asus locked the BIOS (they made 95% of the options invisible to us).

FastM wrote:

Look what I found:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/rog-strix-gl702zc/CT11117394

I wonder if there are 16Gb sticks...

AgentHunk wrote:

Example:

please input ASAP.

Thank You.

For the record, that was not a personal opinion.
Its' based on other users failed attempts to make 2600 MhZ RAM try to work in GL702ZC and what Asus said (that they do NOT support higher frequencies than 2400 MhZ in GL702ZC and that they had 0 intentions of releasing a new bios to support higher frequencies).

Amazon sells so-dimm DDR4 2666 in various options:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=...

You can select which configuration you want, and the 32GB version seems relatively cheap now.

deksman2 wrote:
For the record, that was not a personal opinion.
Its' based on other users failed attempts to make 2600 MhZ RAM try to work in GL702ZC and what Asus said (that they do NOT support higher frequencies than 2400 MhZ in GL702ZC and that they had 0 intentions of releasing a new bios to support higher frequencies).

Amazon sells so-dimm DDR4 2666 in various options:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=...

You can select which configuration you want, and the 32GB version seems relatively cheap now.

Now,if they decide to release microcode support for the Ryzen 2700 upgrade to this laptop,would that CPU+Enhance the RX580 GPU in gaming?ginving fps boost to both the cpu+gpu?making for higher graphic settings?like very high or ultra?

AgentHunk wrote:
Now,if they decide to release microcode support for the Ryzen 2700 upgrade to this laptop,would that CPU+Enhance the RX580 GPU in gaming?ginving fps boost to both the cpu+gpu?making for higher graphic settings?like very high or ultra?

If Asus releases a microcode update for Ryzen 2700, it would probably enhance GPU performance as various games do still like higher frequencies after all.
However, there is no guarantee they will also release the needed code for higher RAM frequencies (as those alone can also boost FPS).

Personally, I'd prefer Asus releases support for Zen 2 because we will get much higher frequency CPU at same TDP with revamped architecture and Infinity Fabric... along with high RAM support.

I really don't understand why Asus is being stingy.
Limiting even the RAM to 2400 MhZ is stupid, considering that 3000 MhZ for laptops existed for months (it existed by the time GL702ZC hit the market).