cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL704GV scar II can support Gsync monitor ?

moses0101
Level 7
I'm considering to buy a monitor, but I know the laptop that I'm using (ROG GL704GV with RTX2060) does not have Gsync...
So here's the question

If I buy a Gsync monitor, will my laptop become somehow support the Gsync ? I mean like "can use the monitor with Gsync built in" .
Still, if my laptop won't even support that monitor with Gsync, should i just go and buy a normal 4k monitor since RTX gpu is more supportive with high end resolution.

I'm new to Gsync and stuff not sure how they work well... appreciated if someone can help me out for the thing I asked ! 😄
5 REPLIES 5

brian68
Level 7
moses0101 wrote:
I'm considering to buy a monitor, but I know the laptop that I'm using (ROG GL704GV with RTX2060) does not have Gsync...
So here's the question

If I buy a Gsync monitor, will my laptop become somehow support the Gsync ? I mean like "can use the monitor with Gsync built in" .
Still, if my laptop won't even support that monitor with Gsync, should i just go and buy a normal 4k monitor since RTX gpu is more supportive with high end resolution.

I'm new to Gsync and stuff not sure how they work well... appreciated if someone can help me out for the thing I asked ! 😄

I have the GL504GV (just got this week) and is basically same laptop except yours is a 17". According to Asus website it supports G-Sync to an external monitor over the mini DisplayPort. I wonder how it would work with FreeSync now that Nvidia added support for those as well.
*https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/

How do you like the laptop anyways? I chose not to spend extra for the RTX 2070 because the benchmarks of RTX 2060 were very close for significantly less cost.

brian68 wrote:
I have the GL504GV (just got this week) and is basically same laptop except yours is a 17". According to Asus website it supports G-Sync to an external monitor over the mini DisplayPort. I wonder how it would work with FreeSync now that Nvidia added support for those as well.
*https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/

How do you like the laptop anyways? I chose not to spend extra for the RTX 2070 because the benchmarks of RTX 2060 were very close for significantly less cost.

I see, so maybe we could use FreeSync/Adaptive Sync later on with just a driver update ?
and.. does G-Sync monitor need a control panel to control the thing ?

Btw scar 2 with rtx 2060 is a very good pick. I chose 2060 is because the benchmarking i saw in the internet is basically same with 1070ti. but in my country idk why but market price or online store price for GTX1070's laptop is expensive than RTX2060's laptop.

And yeah, just as u said 2060 and 2070 is not that big diffrence in gaming laptop (at lease im not gonna spend the extra for 2070)
few things I dont like about this laptop
- Does not have a thunderbolt port
- No "full control" for the rgb lighting
- No OC for the cpu/gpu in armoury create
Other than that, this is the greatest gaming laptop in the price range. (IMO)

moses0101 wrote:
I see, so maybe we could use FreeSync/Adaptive Sync later on with just a driver update ?
and.. does G-Sync monitor need a control panel to control the thing ?

Btw scar 2 with rtx 2060 is a very good pick. I chose 2060 is because the benchmarking i saw in the internet is basically same with 1070ti. but in my country idk why but market price or online store price for GTX1070's laptop is expensive than RTX2060's laptop.

And yeah, just as u said 2060 and 2070 is not that big diffrence in gaming laptop (at lease im not gonna spend the extra for 2070)
few things I dont like about this laptop
- Does not have a thunderbolt port
- No "full control" for the rgb lighting
- No OC for the cpu/gpu in armoury create
Other than that, this is the greatest gaming laptop in the price range. (IMO)

I highly recommend adding another 16GB stick to enable dual channels speeds. The increase in gaming performance is very significant. I get around 15-20 more FPS In battlefield V just by doing this. May not work for every game but s few I have tried are all faster.*

brian68 wrote:
I highly recommend adding another 16GB stick to enable dual channels speeds. The increase in gaming performance is very significant. I get around 15-20 more FPS In battlefield V just by doing this. May not work for every game but s few I have tried are all faster.*

Yup. I put another 16gb of ram inside and it runs faster.

I have a few qestions for you as you have the same pc as mine, the GL504GV
1. Did you notice the fps is very low when unplugged?
2. What is your bios version? Mine is still 3.0

Hey guys, I too bought GL504GV about 3 weeks ago. I installed Witcher 3 but the FPS was locked on 60 in the game. Can you control the refresh rate and apply it globally for all games? If so, how to do that? And how does one use FreeSync? Can you help me with a few links? Also the intel control panel doesn't seem to remember my settings. I have to change the refresh rate manually every time I boot the laptop. Intel control panel is the only place I know I can change the refresh rate. Did you guys faced the same problem? Any help would be very much appreciated. 🙂