cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog gl702vmk- Upgrading Original 128 nvme ssd to cloned 1TB nvme M2 cant boot?-solved

handokovska
Level 7
I manage to replace the 128 nvme ssd, and put the new 1 TB nvme m2 cloned ones... (without breaking or damaging the old nvme ssd)
However new Problem emerge.. the ROG bios can identify the new one but seems windows can't boot into it....
I already try using recovery usb boot (win pe) and do some fixmbr and fixboot and rebuildbcd .. but no luck.
It seems strange because even win PE can read the cloned drive and files, boot attempt always failed...
I already check both original and cloned and they both using GPT...
After exhausted try to fix boot from the cloned ones, i gave up and put the old one and it seems works as usual...
Any recommendation what should i check again before replacing the 128 Gb with the cloned 1TB without reinstalling?
is there any protection that can be ovverride?

this image is the original ssd and the cloned 1tb m2....
2 REPLIES 2

handokovska
Level 7
Done...!!! feels good...
The key is to make a windows recovery on usb.. it is need about 50Gb of usb and it can boot...
leave the clone as it is, put again in the m2 slot.. after 2nd failed boot , insert the recovery usb flasdisk, change the bios to boot from usb...
make a startup repair... twice boot attempt and repair/scan disk, unplug the usb...
recovery from hardisk /m2 nvme started.. enter windows in safe mode... login.. restart
and everything back to normal only with new storage... 😄

Hi! I have a similar problem but my pc is another model "GL502VM" which has only one m2 slot. It has a NAND 3D m2 256gb SSD but as I learned it actually supports NVMe SSDs too. So I got myself a 1 TB NVMe SSD and did the same but in BIOS menu couldn't find it to boot over the new SSD. If I understood right you have two m2 slots so right? I don't know what should I do with my PC in this case? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!