cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog gl552vx m2 2280 ssd upgrade

Danbarbu112
Level 7
Hi. I bought a Samsung 970 Evo M2 2280 NVME PCI Express x4 and my laptop didn't recognize it, it didn't show in bios. I have a sticker on the back of the laptop that says "support only m2 2280 ssd sata". I asked on the live chat support and they said that it support nvme and sata. On the product site specification said that it support PCIE X4 NVME. My laptop model is GL552VX-CN059D. Can someone help me? Is there's a way that it can be recognized?
23 REPLIES 23

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Atà wrote:
Hello!
I bought from a friend of mine The Asus Model: FZ50VX-76A95SB1 Motherboard: GL552VX-4BDM ,at least is what asus assistant says.
I made an upgrade to bios and at some point i had to chose GL552VX, on asus download site, so i have the GL552VX board.
I have pre-installed an m.2 sata3 HYNIX HFS256G39MND-2300A 256Gb.
The m.2 slot on the board it as an M-key, so a PCIe Nvme card will physically fit.
I wanted to install a Nvme of course 🙂 .I bought GIGABYTE - Disco SSD 128GB M.2 NVMe GP-GSM2NE3128GNTD but i did not worked , damm :(.
I went to the crucial Crucial site they have an option scan my computer and give me upgrade options m the are the results
https://www.crucial.com/scanview/890DFC0D31D926C3
The give PCIe options .
Do you think it is possible they work?
If the bios upgrade is the same for all GL552VX models is it possible that some boards work with Sata and other with PCIe it is a hardware difference?
Help please i am stuck...
Thanks a lot guys

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hi there,
We have only test Samsung PCIe 3*4 NVMe SSD on this model.
Maximum is 512GB.
Thank you.

Hi AtÃÃ, Blake,

You may want to refer to my earlier post #9 in this same thread partially copied further below, but the GL552VX motherboard with Skylake cpu is not able to support SATA3 M.2 SSDs and PCIe NVME M.2 SSDs at the same time or with the same motherboard unfortunately.
If the GL552VX motherboard shipped and is working with SATA3 M.2 SSDs, it will not be able to support PCIe NVME M.2 SSDs as AtÂhas found already.

Since it's better not to publicly share the notebook serial number (I may worry too much though), feel free to send me a PM at cl-Albert@ROG of Até's notebook serial number and we can discuss more privately or at this post when appropriate to explain.

Edit 4/12/22: Was asked about the GL552VX(K) notebook with Kabylake cpu and it appears this model may be able to support both NVME and SATA M.2 SSDs with the same motherboard, so it will be necessary to check the exact model or cpu to find out what is supported.
We may call both the GL552VX notebook, so check the cpu (or bios model) to confirm it is using the GL552VXK motherboard/bios with Kabylake cpu rather than the GL552VX motherboard with Skylake cpu.

Thanks.

=========================

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:

The important thing to know in my opinion is that the GL552VX with Skylake cpu will use different motherboards to support SATA M.2 SSDs and PCIe M.2 SSDs, so basically the same GL552VX notebook/motherboard cannot support both SATA M.2 SSDs and PCIe M.2 SSDs at the same time since different motherboards are used for the GL552VX to support each.

Many newer models appear to have found way around this and support both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs, but this apparently does not apply to the GL552VX with Skylake cpu, so if your system works with SATA M.2 SSDs, don't expect you can get any PCIe M.2 SSDs working, but feel free to investigate or discuss with more people.

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Hi AtÃÃâ€*’©, Blake,

You may want to refer to my earlier post #9 in this same thread partially copied further below, but the GL552VX motherboard is not able to support SATA3 M.2 SSDs and PCIe NVME M.2 SSDs at the same time or with the same motherboard unfortunately.
If the GL552VX motherboard shipped and is working with SATA3 M.2 SSDs, it will not be able to support PCIe NVME M.2 SSDs as AtÃÃâ€*’© has found already.

Since it's better not to publicly share the notebook serial number (I may worry too much though), feel free to send me a PM at cl-Albert@ROG of AtÃÃâ€*’©'s notebook serial number and we can discuss more privately or at this post when appropriate to explain.

Thanks.

=========================

Thank you a lot ai already send you a PM,with serial umber, and some notes, that i will share here maybe it will help someone.

Note 1:
I have talked by chat with asus ,and one of the assistants gave me alist af disk that would work. Saying

"This laptop supports some NVMe disks
SAMSUNG/MZHPV256HDGL-00000
SAMSUNG/MZHPV512HDGL-00000
SAMSUNG/MZVLV128HCGR-00000
SAMSUNG/MZVLV256HCHP-00000
SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000 "

Further investigating i realized for example that Samsung SM951 - MZHPV512HDGL-00000 is not really an NVMe disk but in truth is a disk belonging to the transaction period from sata to nvme, where where some disk in this case for example that use the pcie bus but use the AHCI protocol , not Sata, but PCIe AHCI, which where much faster that Sata, but not so fast as PCIe with NVMe protocol which are the modern ones.
Benchmark and explanation done with Samsung SM951 AHCI model MZHPV512HDGL-00000 model,
https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-sm951-pcie-m-2-ssd-review

This is the same disk but using NVMe:
https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-sm951-nvme-m-2-ssd-review

Note 2:
If i went to crucial site they give me some compatible m.2 disks, and i talked by chat and talked to 3 different assistants just to make shure 🙂 and all of them said to me that those NVMe disk will boot over AHCI protocol, or that are recognize by AHCI protocol specially the P2 and the P5 models, but i have not tried it .
https://eu.crucial.com/scanview/9C9F419731D926C3

So it seems there where some disks from the transaction period of technology where my laptop belongs where there where, for example, the SSD Samsung SM951 AHCI model, hich is not not NVMe, but not Sata as well. It uses the PCIe bus and AHCI protocol not NVMe protocol.

My model it has on the bios AHCI options only.

Blake1
Level 10
Hi there,
Maximum is 512GB.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hi there,
Maximum is 512GB.
Thank you.

So it means that any Samsung NVMe Drive will work? Or ny specific model?
In Bios i can only see AHCI options.
Thanks

Até wrote:
So it means that any Samsung NVMe Drive will work? Or ny specific model?
In Bios i can only see AHCI options.
Thanks

Hi there,
If the spec is qualified, then it would work.
If you have any issue installing the SSD yourself,
please kindly send it to our service center and we can install it for you.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hi there,
Maximum is 512GB.
Thank you.

Hello, But what model are you refering to?
the samsung 950 Pro?
Or the Samsung sm951 MZHPVxxxx the pcie ahci version?

Thanks

cl-Albert
Hi Até,

Thanks for your PM and serial number which shows your notebook came preinstalled with a 256GB SATA3 M.2 SSD as you know already and is also using the GL552VX motherboard which can only support SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

Please understand for the older GL552VX model as well as other GL552 motherboards they cannot support both NVME M.2 SSDs and SATA3 M.2 SSDs with the same hardware or motherboard.
Or said another way, we use a different GL552VX motherboard to support SATA3 M.2 SSDs which is not the same GL552VX motherboard to support NVME M.2 SSDs.

Unfortunately, many people including some ASUS staff are not aware of this and thought the same motherboard can support both NVME M.2 SSDs and SATA3 M.2 SSDs which is not true for the GL552VX and other GL552 models.

Some newer ASUS notebook models (not GL552 series) can support both SATA3 M.2 SSDs and NVME M.2 SSDs with the same motherboard, so some people may expect the situation is the same with the GL552VX, but it's not true.

===================================

As mentioned in Note 1 , the approved NVME M.2 SSDs that were provided were for the GL552VX notebook with the motherboards that support NVME M.2 SSDs, but this is not the motherboard you have according to the serial number you provided.

If you talk to ASUS staff again, you may want to ask them why the description for your motherboard in the serial number key parts list mentioned "SATA" as below (and why our system includes some GL552VX motherboards with NVME in the description if they are able to check this more).
Since they do not expect customers would know about this information, you may want to let them know you have been discussing with ASUS staff on the ROG forums who reported different GL552VX motherboards are used to support SATA3 and NVME M.2 SSDs, and suggests they look into this more and get back to you.
=================
GL552VX MB._0M/I7-6700HQ/AS R2.1(V4G)(SATA)
=================

As far as Note 2 goes, it's similar to Note 1, but if your GL552VX motherboard hardware cannot support NVME M.2 SSDs and only supports SATA3 M.2 SSDs, the bios settings are irrelevant.
I'm not sure if any PCIe AHCI M.2 SSDs were approved for the GL552VX, but the motherboard supporting only SATA3 M.2 SSDs would not be able to work with them either.

Feel free to discuss if you wish, but as far as I can tell, you will not be able to get any NVME (or AHCI) M.2 SSDs working for your GL552VX notebook and only SATA3 M.2 SSDs will work as you have found so far.

If any GL552VX customers have the motherboard supporting NVME M.2 SSDs though, they will be able to use NVME M.2 SSDs although they cannot use any SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

Turn your laptop upside down, there is a big sticker saying

"M.2 2280 SLOT SUPPORT
SATA SSD ONLY"

Says so on my Asus ROG GL552VW-CN387T (info found on another sticker on the backside)

Hello,
uh... im having trouble trying to understand the compability for the Asus ROG GL552VX, what kind of SSD does it actually support? i tried Crucial website and it show "Crucial P5 Plus 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS Gaming SSD" supports this laptop but im still confused :confused: and i don't want to waste money on a SSD that doesn't work for GL552VX Laptop. Since this laptop is getting slow and needs a upgrade badly...
Ps. im new to this upgrade stuff and im a slow learner... sorry for the stress i cause.
97417 97418

cl-Albert
Welcome to the forums!

If you don't mind to send me a private message at cl-Albert@ROG with your notebook serial number, I can help check into it more.

Thanks for the Crucial website picture which is for the GL552VXK motherboard/model which is different from the GL552VX motherboard although ASUS calls both the GL552VX model, but they use different motherboards and bios files.

Anyway, I can help you check which one you have if you send me your notebook serial number, or we can probably figure it out in other ways too.

Edit / Update: Actually, if you can just check your bios model and version as mentioned in the FAQ below, it should be good enough to confirm if you really have the GL552VXK model or not.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1030673