Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL552VW installing SSD help

denebwafu
Level 7
Hi guys!

Here's my problem.

I recently bought a brand new GL552VW-DH71, and a Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250gb SSD. I haven't opened the laptop nor turned it on yet, and I want to install the SSD first before turning it on for the first time. Will that option work because I want to install the OS into the SSD and use the HDD as the storage drive. I'm thinking if I do that, I wont have to do any cloning since the laptop is brand new and haven't been used yet.

Second question, if the answer to the first one is yes, do I have to physical remove the HDD first then install the SSD, then turn the laptop on? Im thinking If I do that, the OS will boot and be installed on the SSD automatically. Or do I still need to plug in a bootable USB drive with OS in it?

Third question, What else do I need to do after removing HDD, installing SSD, and turning the laptop on? Such as anything to change in the bios system? Am I missing something here?

Thank you for the help. I am somewhat if not completely ignorant about this matter. I did a research but they made me more confused. Thanks a lot.
13 REPLIES 13

ROGKenny
Level 7
1. Remove hard disk (to ensure clean install)
2. Install new SSD
3. Turn on laptop
4. Enter bios (press F2) on bootup
5. Check SSD is registered in BIOS
6. Put in OS install cd in CDROM drive.
7. Reboot and press esc key for device boot order...choose CDROM drive
8. Install Windows
9. Reinsert old hard disk

Thanks for the help. That's what I was thinking except I will insert the usb drive before turning the laptop on. Also does this laptop uses UEFI or just regular BIOS? And any settings I need to keep in mind such as to put the SSD on AHCI?

I think the laptop supports both UEFI and reg BIOS settings.

By default ACHI mode is enabled, and I don't recall having to do any changes.

JustinThyme
Level 13
There is only one caveat that I can think of with this. With the machine never having been turned on and OS registered with M$ how do you intend to install the OS unless you are purchasing or already own another unregistered copy?

Also I do things a little different than most. When buying a new machine I leave the original HDD intact just as I got it. Ill boot up from it just to register the OS and use a generic username. When Im done either cloning or doing a clean install the original HDD goes in the box and gets put away for safe keeping. Couple of reasons for this. Firstly if my replacement HDD takes a dump and I cant recover all I have to do it put the original in and BAM! back in business. Secondly if and when I decide its time to pass the laptop along of sell it off which ever the case may be, insert original drive and BAM! All done, no need to spend hours uninstalling and cleaning up personal files. One more reason is if the machine craps and needs to be RMAd again, just put the original drive back in and BAM! All done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for all the help.

I still have my old laptop, that I can use to copy an OS. I think the steps are laid out in the stickied thread. Ill do this later when I get home from work and let you guys know the outcome.

Ok, just a question that came to mind. After I successfully install Win10 onto my notebook by following this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-...,

Do I have to format the original HDD, just to erase the OS or anything in it?

Dene,

If you are going to use your original HDD as a data drive only, I would recommend formatting it. There are a number of partitions on the original HDD related to the OS install that are no longer necessary if you are using the SSD as your primary now.

Richcraft wrote:
Dene,

If you are going to use your original HDD as a data drive only, I would recommend formatting it. There are a number of partitions on the original HDD related to the OS install that are no longer necessary if you are using the SSD as your primary now.

Thanks for the quick reply, and will do!

denebwafu wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, and will do!

Good news guys. I have manage to install the OS onto the SSD using the stickied thread with no problem.

But now as I was trying to tweak my default HDD by formatting and trying to merge the partitions, I ended up with errors.

And this is what it says when I try to extend the volume to make it only 1 partition.

Am I missing anything here guys? I tried doing the rescan, and but still doesn't work.
And when I tried to create volume with the unallocated space it just tells me "the size of the extent is less than the minimum"