cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL502VY Notebook Heating Issues When Gaming

LanEvo21
Level 7
I have the extra portable thin ROG notebook, the GL502VY. Its great, however, I feel that it gets hot, especially at the exits pretty easily.

Is this normal? What can I do or what devices I can buy to help with this issue?

Game I was playing was Starcraft II. Thanks
ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS-DB74 Notebook
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
32 GB RAM
500 GB SSD HD + 1000 GB @7200RPM HD
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 165Hz 2560x1440 2K 4ms Monitor
ASUS NOMAD V2 Backpack
Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speakers
4 REPLIES 4

james11705
Level 7
LanEvo21 wrote:
I have the extra portable thin ROG notebook, the GL502VY. Its great, however, I feel that it gets hot, especially at the exits pretty easily.

Is this normal? What can I do or what devices I can buy to help with this issue?

Game I was playing was Starcraft II. Thanks

In power options Choose balanced state Or performance and change the max processor state to 60%( advanced power management) and min state to 5% for both on battery n on power.

Also use a laptop cooler which have been designed for gaming laptop (2-4fans)
n disable startup processes which use high resources (from task manager)

The most important change :
Go to nvidia control panel n Change the default graphics card to Intel click apply n go to program selector (next tab) , select nvidia for the games Alone n click on apply.

90•+ can be termed as overheating

Sent from my Titan

james11705 wrote:
In power options Choose balanced state Or performance and change the max processor state to 60%( advanced power management) and min state to 5% for both on battery n on power.

Also use a laptop cooler which have been designed for gaming laptop (2-4fans)
n disable startup processes which use high resources (from task manager)

The most important change :
Go to nvidia control panel n Change the default graphics card to Intel click apply n go to program selector (next tab) , select nvidia for the games Alone n click on apply.

90•+ can be termed as overheating

Sent from my Titan

Thanks for your reply Titan. Really appreciate that. I would like to do all that but I would like to maximaze the proformance of this beast too and its features. I guess that is really the only way...

The fans seems to be useless so far because the vents are towards the back. Heat exits there and it sure gets really hot there. I tried having the fan blow there but it seems useless. Wonder if this is normal?
ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS-DB74 Notebook
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
32 GB RAM
500 GB SSD HD + 1000 GB @7200RPM HD
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 165Hz 2560x1440 2K 4ms Monitor
ASUS NOMAD V2 Backpack
Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speakers

LanEvo21 wrote:
Thanks for your reply Titan. Really appreciate that. I would like to do all that but I would like to maximaze the proformance of this beast too and its features. I guess that is really the only way...

The fans seems to be useless so far because the vents are towards the back. Heat exits there and it sure gets really hot there. I tried having the fan blow there but it seems useless. Wonder if this is normal?

Yeah it's normal, place the laptop on a high surface like a pillow or a book, leaving space under the left side of the laptop so that there's enough space for the hot air to go out and reducing the cpu max processor percentage doesn't affect performance much ....

Use razer cortex or system mechanics Liveboost to maximize performance (both have separate options for gaming (

Sent from my Titan

You could also try under-volting with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU). I'm able to reach a stable -125 mV on my Intel i7 6700HQ with 10 C lower load temperature. When trying to find the lowest voltage your CPU can go, I recommend playing some of the more demanding games, e.g. GTA V. By just running CPU stress test programs I was able to reach -180 mV but as soon as I tried playing games the PC would crash but -125 mV seems very stable as I've kept it at that 24/7 for nearly 4 months now without crashes.

I don't know what refresh rate your display is but most common is 60 Hz. From what I know the GL502VY has an NVIDIA GPU which means you can use NVIDIA Inspector. With this tool you can also globally limit the fps in games to lower the load on the GPU if it runs over 60 fps. There is also a slider for voltage control on the GPU in this tool but on my PC it doesn't seem to be unlocked in BIOS unlike the CPU as I described above. Maybe it's unlocked on yours, so try it out, maybe you could get the temperatures down even further if you can also lower the voltage for the GPU.

Note, undervolting will not negatively affect the performance of the PC, on the contrary it could even prevent it from throttling down (if that is the case) as the CPU/GPU gets hotter and therefore increase performance. You just have to find a stable point the CPU/GPU will tolerate without crashing.