cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reprogram GL551JW UEFI firmware to fix bootscreen display?? - solved

bartat404
Level 7
Both my roomate and I have the exact same laptop, purchased at the same time (GL551JW)

My laptop had to be RMA'd after a couple of weeks because it would no longer boot. WHen I got it back the BIOS behaved differently.

Before, it would run at native resolution, and the ROG logo would replace the WIndows 8 logo, now it runs at 800x600 stretched, and the ROG logo no longer carries itself to the Windows bootloader. I figured a BIOS update might fix this, so I performed the update both on my laptop and his laptop, and his continues to look nice at native resolution, while mine still looks ugly/stretched and with a nasty "Intel Inside" logo in the corner.

Is there some way for me to modify the UEFI BIOS to make my laptop behave as it once did? Thanks!

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
You can install BIOS images (and a variety of utilities) downloaded from the GL551JW support page, latest BIOS versions appears to be 0204 and 0202.

The RMA techs may have installed a different (probably most recent) BIOS version or NV driver software. Or just reconfigured the boot logo ... the Asus software allows users to customize their machines and the techs probably just flashed whatever generic firmware image/configuration they happen to use in shop.

Regardless of whatever's been changed, you can use the Asus BIOS tools to "backup" the firmware on one machine then "restore" it onto the other - assuming both units are exactly identical. Be sure to backup your existing firmware beforehand (and make sure you can restore it) just in case. And keep notes which document any user settings you've changed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I may try this, but what had me believe that the BIOS had nothing to do with it is because even after I got the laptop back, I updated both of our BIOS's with the EXACT same BIOS file, and we're still behaving differently. My thought on the matter was that the same part of the firmware that stores the Windows product key might also store this kind of information and was hopeful in a way to access and modify this.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

joshindaphils
Level 11
The windows loading screen image has nothing to do with the BIOS here is how you can change it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBOTtesCZo or I am not understanding you correctly.

joshindaphils wrote:
The windows loading screen image has nothing to do with the BIOS here is how you can change it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhBOTtesCZo or I am not understanding you correctly.

Yes and no.
The Windows 8 logo will use its own (and easily changeable) if it's not detected in the UEFI BIOS, but if it detects a logo in the UEFI BIOS, it will use that instead.

It used to be a smooth transition, when I turned the machine on I would be greeted with the ROG logo, and then without any flicker I would just begin to see the spinning Win8 dots.

Example: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1116255-uefi-boot-logo-shows-up-on-windows-loading-screen-in-windw...

ASUS ROG GL551JW
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Gps3dx
Level 12
bartat404 wrote:
Is there some way for me to modify the UEFI BIOS to make my laptop behave as it once did? Thanks!

@bartat404 - Try to change some of the current uefi settings you're on:
toggle fast boot.
toggle secure boot.
toggle CMS.

On my G751JT I notice that playing with these options makes the ugly pixelated "intel" gone/return.
( I think that booting in CMS mode (aka BIOS) it appears, while booting in UEFI mode ( CMS disabled ) it's gone )

Don't forget - if you change the boot mode - your OS must support it !

Edit by cl-Albert: Thanks for the help Gps3dx and believe you meant to say toggle CSM/Enable Launch CSM instead of CMS if anybody else is interested?
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
@bartat404 - Try to change some of the current uefi settings you're on:
toggle fast boot.
toggle secure boot.
toggle CMS.

On my G751JT I notice that playing with these options makes the ugly pixelated "intel" gone/return.
( I think that booting in CMS mode (aka BIOS) it appears, while booting in UEFI mode ( CMS disabled ) it's gone )

Don't forget - if you change the boot mode - your OS must support it !

Thank you! It was CMS mode. I have no idea what that even means so I enjoy it.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

CMS mode = emulating old BIOS ( tech that was developed before 30+ years ) so you'll be able to boot OS like win xp,7,8 that installed on MBR disks.
UEFI mode = CMS disabled = gives the ability to install OS like win 7,8,10 on GPT disks while enjoying advance features like FASTER boot time.

i'm sure you ask why at all we need CMS mode on an expensive advanced laptop ?
CMS mode enables the possibility to access tech-help tools like partitioning/backup ( ghosting ) hdd and partitions - which usually runs from a USB flashdisk that most of the time formated as MBR ( with FAT32 system file type ).
tech-help tools needs to run OUT OF the OS environment to be able to format/fix/change things in the OS partition/HDD.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
CMS mode = emulating old BIOS ( tech that was developed before 30+ years ) so you'll be able to boot OS like win xp,7,8 that installed on MBR disks.
UEFI mode = CMS disabled = gives the ability to install OS like win 7,8,10 on GPT disks while enjoying advance features like FASTER boot time.

i'm sure you ask why at all we need CMS mode on an expensive advanced laptop ?
CMS mode enables the possibility to access tech-help tools like partitioning/backup ( ghosting ) hdd and partitions - which usually runs from a USB flashdisk that most of the time formated as MBR ( with FAT32 system file type ).
tech-help tools needs to run OUT OF the OS environment to be able to format/fix/change things in the OS partition/HDD.

This makes sense as I RMA'd the laptop due to it refusing to boot at all. If they made the repair and used CMS mode to do diagnostics they just forgot to turn it back off.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M