cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced heatsink/fan module now no power to GL703GE laptop

Dharkheart
Level 7
HELP!

I have an ASUS Rog Strix GL703GE-AS74. It is a great laptop and was working fine, but one of the fans stopped working, so I ordered a replacement module with both fans; I removed the old module and replaced it with the new one, tightened all screws and reconnected everything. When I plugged my AC back in, there was no power light and it wouldn't start. I unplugged my AC and performed the 40 second reset and plugged in my AC but it still wouldn't start. I checked the connections for the power supply and made certain the plug to the laptop was not loosened but no luck. I tried my spare power supply with the same result. What could be wrong? I only disconnected my hard-drive, the fan power connectors and the larger connector just above the right fan power connector, and removed and loosened the heatsink module screw. I re-checked my work and everything is reconnected and screwed tight. I'm stumped.

I'm not a newbie at repairing and upgrading or building computers, but never one as well thought out as this one. Problem aside, it's actually the easiest one I've ever had to get into and the replacement itself was completed in less than fifteen minutes.

Is there (I hope) something that is required by the Rog Strix once a replacement such as this is done in order for it to start?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3

Dharkheart
Level 7
I couldn't fix the problem, so I bought a new laptop and I'm also considering buying a replacement motherboard for my dead laptop.

Its possible the fans you got for the laptop shorted out the motherboard. especially if you have not fully discharged lingering power after disconnecting the battery. before removing/installing the new fans. but your updated post is what you're going to need to fix it.

KorosuKivy wrote:
Its possible the fans you got for the laptop shorted out the motherboard. especially if you have not fully discharged lingering power after disconnecting the battery. before removing/installing the new fans. but your updated post is what you're going to need to fix it.

Thank you. I thought as much. Now I need to find a motherboard; I thought I had but the one they advertised as being for GL703GE-AS74 was not the correct board.