cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random (or not random) fps drop in asus 502vs

rolllooo
Level 7
Hello, mine 502vs have strange issue- In overal games work fine but all of them got random fps drops from 60 (I play games on V-sync) to approx 40 fps for few second irregularly with somekind of few framestops (something like stuttering)- it is iritating because of slowing down the game even in not demanding titles. I suspect moments when game have to load some data- like respawn of enemies or new location elements. Within this moment games work fine. I don't suspect my graphic card because of various drivers combination with respect to clean installation. This is something with data lag and input. Are there any which had same problems?

best regards
Marco
11 REPLIES 11

Gps3dx
Level 12
GOTO HERE, read EVERY PAGE from end to start.
your issue isn't specific to to your GL model, nor Asus.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

rolllooo
Level 7
Thanks for the large reading :). Is there some brief summary from this forum dispute?

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
What games exactly? The fps drops constantly like for a few seconds or is it more like a stuttering?

rolllooo
Level 7
It is strange but for example in painkiller -game from 2004 i have sometimes massive fps drop during for examle enemies appearing from the respawn script. Same in Batman Origin- sometimes it lag without special cause- just in the middle of loitering. In the witcher 3 there is fps drop sometime like in batman but additional the animation for me is sttuter. I ve turned off windows DVR earlier ant telemtrics. I reject thermal throtling option because of old games issue and according to sensors my GPU i CPU on Witcher go 77 degrees at maximum.

rolllooo
Level 7
Ok, I'm totally confused. Today I ve got Kingdom Come Deliverence. Acccording to Internet data this game on my configuration should go on 55 fps on avg at highest setting. I barelly got 40-50 on high. I've tried many settings - unfortunatelly without any effect. What is ****ed up is that according to msi afterburner benchmark information I,m not exceed 80% usage of GPU and 65% of CPU respectivelly although I gave frame rate drop to 40. The most annoying is that in any game I got normal gaming experience if it is running with stable 60 fps. If only it drop to 50 the game start act as a slo-mo not mentioning worse frame drops. Look at this video: https://youtu.be/HtpgStAfjVM?t=156 This guy play 30fps with better smoothness than my 50 fps with is some kind of stutter plus fps reduction . Any Idea?

FastM
Level 8
I think this thread explains it. Probably applicable to the 502vs as well.*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104886-GL702VS-power-supply-adapter-charger-very-underpowe...

I experience exactly what the OP describes in this post and I can confirm 100% my cpu/gpu are well under control with both being undervote.*

FastM wrote:
I think this thread explains it. Probably applicable to the 502vs as well.*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104886-GL702VS-power-supply-adapter-charger-very-underpowe...

I experience exactly what the OP describes in this post and I can confirm 100% my cpu/gpu are well under control with both being undervote.*

230w AC adapter for the 502VS/K should be enough. Mine runs absolutely fine with it, but I have to admit I'm curious to see what a more powerful AC adapter would do (probably nothing in this case, tbh). GPU hits power limit at 1840mhz/0.875mv but that's limited by the EC chip.

Now, if you have the first revision of the gl502vs with the 180w AC adapter, then yes you should get the 230w one and update your BIOS if you haven't yet. They added support for the more powerful AC adapter and tweaked some other stuff, as far as I know.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
230w AC adapter for the 502VS/K should be enough. Mine runs absolutely fine with it, but I have to admit I'm curious to see what a more powerful AC adapter would do (probably nothing in this case, tbh). GPU hits power limit at 1840mhz/0.875mv but that's limited by the EC chip.

Now, if you have the first revision of the gl502vs with the 180w AC adapter, then yes you should get the 230w one and update your BIOS if you haven't yet. They added support for the more powerful AC adapter and tweaked some other stuff, as far as I know.

Hi, so you recomend to change from stock 180W to 230W AC adapter? At this moment I have 302 BIOS version which is the most recent according to Asus download centre. Is there any diagnostic which I can perform in order to check the power shortcoming?

Best regards

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Yes. The 230w power supply is a must for the GL502VS.