cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SSHD storage in GL504GV

GeoGC
Level 8
On the laptop's page, https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-hero-ii-gl504-series/ , it says that "Storage is fast and plentiful with up to a 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe® 3.0 SSD and a 1TB Seagate® FireCuda™ SSHD." Does anyone has any experience if it works if I buy a 2TB SSHD? Will the laptop support it or 1TB is the max?

Can a typical Sata SSD 2,5 be installed on the HDD slot?
3 REPLIES 3

Murph_9000
Level 14
Your SSHD is a SATA drive, so there should be no problem going to 2TB and beyond, as long as your new drive physically fits the space inside your laptop. The data and power connectors should be completely standard, the thickness of the drive is the main thing to check (width and length are pretty much standard for 2.5-inch drives). If you get the model number of your existing drive (the Windows properties should show it), something like ST1000LX015, and search for it on https://www.seagate.com/, you should be able to find the spec sheet with physical dimensions. A Seagate ST2000LX001 is probably roughly the same as your current drive, just in 2TB capacity.

One thing to consider is that SSHDs are kinda becoming obsolete. You may be better getting a 2TB SATA 2.5-inch SSD instead, e.g. a Seagate Firecuda 120 such as ZA2000GM10011. A 2.5-inch SSD should significantly outperform a SSHD under sustained heavy load, and is essentially immune to physical shock damage compared to a spinning disk. Obviously, cost may be a factor in that decision. You don't have to stick to Seagate, any good SATA 2.5-inch drive should work, but the Seagate Firecuda range are higher performance than some more basic drives out there..

Murph_9000 wrote:
Your SSHD is a SATA drive, so there should be no problem going to 2TB and beyond, as long as your new drive physically fits the space inside your laptop. The data and power connectors should be completely standard, the thickness of the drive is the main thing to check (width and length are pretty much standard for 2.5-inch drives). If you get the model number of your existing drive (the Windows properties should show it), something like ST1000LX015, and search for it on https://www.seagate.com/, you should be able to find the spec sheet with physical dimensions. A Seagate ST2000LX001 is probably roughly the same as your current drive, just in 2TB capacity.

One thing to consider is that SSHDs are kinda becoming obsolete. You may be better getting a 2TB SATA 2.5-inch SSD instead, e.g. a Seagate Firecuda 120 such as ZA2000GM10011. A 2.5-inch SSD should significantly outperform a SSHD under sustained heavy load, and is essentially immune to physical shock damage compared to a spinning disk. Obviously, cost may be a factor in that decision. You don't have to stick to Seagate, any good SATA 2.5-inch drive should work, but the Seagate Firecuda range are higher performance than some more basic drives out there..

I see. But can I use a 2TB on this current laptop? Because on the specs from the page it says:
"1TB 5400RPM 2.5" SATA FireCuda SSHD
512GB PCIe® 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD"

Can I go beyond 1TB?

Murph_9000
Level 14
The specs are just what are supplied by default. SATA goes far beyond that, and has supported more than 2TB long into the past. The only possible issue is the 2TB limit of MBR and FAT32, but you shouldn't be running those anyway (NTFS has been the default and preferred option for non-removable storage for a long time, and GPT is preferred for modern Windows installs); but you would still be fine with that on a 2TB drive (FAT32 would be inefficient and less robust than NTFS, but would still work). I only mention those 2TB limits for completeness, they are not a problem with a 2TB drive and not really a problem for any system that's capable of running Windows 10.