cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with perfomance on my laptop ROG SCAR 3 G731GW

sndrjn
Level 7
My laptop specs are 2070 and i79750h. And i have problem in games, probably because my gpu and cpu are really hot. Ive watched the video about this laptop temps in different games, and seen temps like 80. And because of this temps i have huge throttling. Like my gpu is at the lowest clock - 300, and processor reaches 1900 mhz. Today i tried to utilize turbo mode. In AC odyssey i had 20 fps and with turbo mode got 40 with drops to 20 and lower frequently. Recently i also played Deus ex Mankind Divided, and in that game i also had problems - couldnt have even stable 60 fps at lowest settings 1080p. Even earlier human revolution was stuttering at lowest settings to have 90 fps. Even tried playing arma, getting unstable 50 fps with fps drops in fights.
How can i fix this problem with throttling? Or how can i lower the temps so this wouldnt happen? I just didnt find any problems like mine on internet, only everyone saying that 90 degrees is fine in case of laptops. But apparently not in my case.
6 REPLIES 6

AtGrigorov
Level 10
I have the same laptop. The best solution is to use ThrottleStop and replace thermal paste. After this you get a completely new computer capable of all it's been advertised. For these CPUs, normal temps under load are high 80s and low 90s, bit it's quite common to see them overheating and throttling (95%, no matter the brand). Mine never goes over 88 at full power consumption. Just search the forum or ask again and I'd be happy to help.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112277-Temperature-controlling-my-laptop/page10
https://imgur.com/wd0kmEJ

AtGrigorov wrote:
I have the same laptop. The best solution is to use ThrottleStop and replace thermal paste. After this you get a completely new computer capable of all it's been advertised. For these CPUs, normal temps under load are high 80s and low 90s, bit it's quite common to see them overheating and throttling (95%, no matter the brand). Mine never goes over 88 at full power consumption. Just search the forum or ask again and I'd be happy to help.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112277-Temperature-controlling-my-laptop/page10
https://imgur.com/wd0kmEJ

I researched a bit and it seems that i cant use throttle stop - armoury crate uses this process of undervolting so it doesnt work when i setup undervolting offset manually in the throttlestop app. Also, isnt it a bit early to change the paste? Is stock paste really that bad? Because i had my laptop for barely a year. I tried disassembling it but had problems with opening the cover of my laptop and in the process a tiny piece broke off from the corner of a case. So i screwed everything back and decided to forget about it.(im really not that confident when dealing with hardware because im afraid of breaking some vital part of it and just being left with broken laptop.

sndrjn wrote:
I researched a bit and it seems that i cant use throttle stop - armoury crate uses this process of undervolting so it doesnt work when i setup undervolting offset manually in the throttlestop app. Also, isnt it a bit early to change the paste? Is stock paste really that bad? Because i had my laptop for barely a year. I tried disassembling it but had problems with opening the cover of my laptop and in the process a tiny piece broke off from the corner of a case. So i screwed everything back and decided to forget about it.(im really not that confident when dealing with hardware because im afraid of breaking some vital part of it and just being left with broken laptop.

No, it's not early. I had to do this on the second week of purchase and YES, the paste is bad. I had high temps straight from new. A week later it was sent to RMA for replacing motherboard due to failed sensor. It was reassembled and repasted there and when I had it back was the same in regard to thermal throttling. I decided to open it and change the paste myself. Needed 4 attempts to understand, there are old generation of pastes (Arctic S, MX4, etc.), that have max working temp of 100 C and degrade very fast in temps above 85C, and new gen of pastes that have max working temp of 200 C (like Noctua HT-H2). So in general, I had to open it multiple time the first month from purchase (in January), but it was all worthed. It's a very easy task, but does wonders and is the only way to have your laptop working according advertised specs. Do NOT upgrade BIOS after .307. It's the last version so far, that allows tweaking of voltages. Do your tests and compare the results to my screenshots above. I bet it would persuade you to open your laptop (Yousef!) and just fix it.

Desani, how dusty is your home? The G732LWS has barely been out for 6 months.

Interesting to hear now that ThrottleStop doesn't work. Everyone a month ago was saying it was the solution to the problem that Asus sold us.

I'd love to repaste my CPU but unfortunately, they glue the fukkers on now with "liquid metal" for "superior" cooling, even though it's ****.

Also, watch out for the "100 degrees is fine for CPUs" brigade to come around and tell you that your temps are normal.

craig_cabbage wrote:
Desani, how dusty is your home? The G732LWS has barely been out for 6 months.

Interesting to hear now that ThrottleStop doesn't work. Everyone a month ago was saying it was the solution to the problem that Asus sold us.

I'd love to repaste my CPU but unfortunately, they glue the fukkers on now with "liquid metal" for "superior" cooling, even though it's ****.

Also, watch out for the "100 degrees is fine for CPUs" brigade to come around and tell you that your temps are normal.

I am not sure I follow, the temperatures that I posted in the other thread I linked were temperatures that were generated right out of the box. It has nothing to do with dust or needing to be cleaned. ThrottleStop does work, which is the whole point of the thread I linked, it just doesn't work in the ways that people keep recommending as most of those options are locked out at the BIOS level. In my thread I posted I gave other options that can be adjusted even with the new voltage locks that are in place to get your temperature down to a more acceptable level.
Asus G732LWS
Geforce GTX 2070 Super
Intel i7-10875h

Desani
Level 8
With the latest BIOS from Asus, you are locked out of most of the settings in Throttlestop at the bios level. There is currently no way around this unless you are able to downgrade you bios to a version that will still allow modifications to undervolting.

Your GPU temperature seems on the high side, even if you are not comfortable with opening the laptop I would suggest tying to make sure it is clean from dust. I have made a post in this thread for some settings you are able to change in throttlestop to try to get some of the excess heat off. You can view the thread here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120857-About-thermals-on-G512LW-WS

But your best bet it to try to make sure it is dust free and the thread I posted above. Watch some YouTube tear-down videos to get familiar with opening the laptop, this will allow you to make sure the fans are clean and able to do their job.
Asus G732LWS
Geforce GTX 2070 Super
Intel i7-10875h