cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressing on keyboard mutes my mic pls help

simon_tumulak
Level 7
This happened a few months ago when I connected an external keyboard but I don't see how this would cause the problem so it's probably not that. But anyways whenever I type on the laptop's actual keyboard the microphone on and off overlay pops up. Just like pressing the physical mute mic button on the keyboard, which doesn't even work, but on every single keypress. I'm getting by just using a separate keyboard for now and even disconnecting the keyboard the problem still happens. I've literally tried everything so any help is appreciated!

Laptop Rog Strix G51L1 and I'm on bios 311.
12 REPLIES 12

world
Does the problem happen for every key on the laptop's keyboard or just some of them?

world wrote:
Does the problem happen for every key on the laptop's keyboard or just some of them?

It happens on every single key on the keyboard.

world
Is the problem also there when you're in the BIOS?

world wrote:
Is the problem also there when you're in the BIOS?

Nope pressing on keys is normal in the bios

world
Good news that the keys are normal in the BIOS-- it should eliminate hardware concerns as the reason, so the issue is likely some configuration issue within your OS.

Can you check if the issue is there when you boot into Windows in safe mode?

world wrote:
Good news that the keys are normal in the BIOS-- it should eliminate hardware concerns as the reason, so the issue is likely some configuration issue within your OS.

Can you check if the issue is there when you boot into Windows in safe mode?

also nothing in safe mode

You got the way to fix it? its happening to me currently

Jones3387
Level 8

Hello all,

So this problem happened to me last night as well and found this thread where others have the issue.  I use a mini Corsair RGB keyboard for gaming which has no issues and works as intended - but when i touch any key on the actual ROG laptop it toggles the microphone on and off. This happens whether my Corsair device in plugged in or not. I also have an Ironclaw Gming Mouse and Corsair Void Headset (which has the separate master mic on/off button on it). I use iCue to switch game profiles as well. So potentially conflicting issues anywhere in that lot.

I believe i have fixed it but not 100% sure what actually did the job so let me list everything i tried and you can replicate them.

1. Disconnect all USB devices and reboot. Tried this about 2 or 3 times with a variety of combinations.

2. If using Corsair etc check for updates in the third party software (iCue in my case for firmware updates or settings which affect macros etc)

3. Check ASUS Armoury Crate for updates - i had 3 waiting i didn't realise even though none of them were to do with the touchpad or keyboard. As its the ASUS microphone symbol that flashes on the screen afterall i feel this is likely the area where the problem truly lies.

4. Check My ASUS for software updates - again i had one waiting but not sure what it was for.

5. Finally go START type MSCONFIG and choose the app. Select SERVICES tab. I then deselcted the ASUS services and applied it. Select STARTUP tab and open Task Manager. Here i played around a bit and disabled the lot. When you click OK and close out it will prompt a computer restart. When it boots again you won't have many of the task tray icons since you didnt run them. Repeat from the start of this comment and re-enable services. Restart computer. Might need to play around a bit here and be selective and do one by one or the job lot like i did.

6. Whilst doing some of the things in step 5 i had ASUS Armoury Crate services stopped and then clicked to open the Crate at which point it took ages to open then prompted me to install it...? I was a bit confused since i knew i had stopped the service but never uninstalled it. Either way i did as asked and then made sure it was active under MSCONFIG from step 5 and restarted my laptop. At this point i could press the keys as normal and no problems. 

As i type this epic saga i am 3 hours post 'fix' and the issue has not repeated itself.

Device is 2022 ASUS Rog Zephyrus G15 GA503RW

J

Help! Help! Please. Hello Guys!
@world or anyone who can help. It's happening to me 😞

I bought a rog strix G513 last year in Canada and brought it to Brazil to play Counter Strike. It looked pretty good at first until I had the first issue with the keyboard.

A few months ago the problem started. -> Pressing on keyboard mutes my mic

I've lost a few days until I found this post and from what I understood it didn't just happen to me. I went through all the above steps (1-6) and it didn't solve it. *When I turn off the optimization service, the bug stops and the computer in general seems to lose performance and other features.

I bought an Asus G513 Rog strix with Ryzen 9 thinking I would be buying the best notebook to just play my Counter Strike and it's the second issue I have with the keyboard, so sad 😞
Could someone please help me by explaining what i have to do to fix it.
I just want to enjoy what Asus has put into my Rog Strix on high performance with no bugs
see attached

MasterCris_4-1692902448699.png

MasterCris_1-1692901064981.png

MasterCris_2-1692901221541.pngMasterCris_3-1692901235034.png

Veideo here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkf4IaXFjVBrZmyTPzj2fW-EcQcY-2Ss/view?usp=sharing