cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia driver without Vulkan support - Solved

Triton_se
Level 8
I have a game or two that require Vulkan and the latest Nvidia driver from Asus does not support Vulkan. I thought the few Nvidia drivers that come there are 100% OK. I used a driver from Asus in late winter/early spring to get Vulkan, why isn't it supported now?

10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Does the 496.xx driver directly from Nvidia have it? If Nvidia disabled it for some reason then I don't think ASUS would have changed it. If the Nv driver has what you need then I'd go with that for the time being and wait for the next ASUS driver, or look for the older ASUS driver if you know which one works.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Triton_se
Level 8
The 496.49 driver came un-announced with a Windows 10 Update some time ago, I noticed it still didn't have Vulkan and decided to test Asus driver from their support page.

I uninstalled 496.49 and installed 466.11 - reason: it's the last driver that doesn't give GPU memory fluctuations, they go 6001 to 7001MHz. Some drivers go 6001MHz just a few times here and there, this 496.49 was terrible, it stayed mostly on 6001MHz. I use MSI Afterburner 4.6.4.xxxx beta 3 to check freqs, temps, volts etc, tested Heaven 4.0 1440p external monitor, I also don't use default volt/freq curve, have created my own with MSI Afterburner that gives BETTER fps with lower watts/temps - stock may require 0.837v, my curve takes 0.768v with higher freq. I notice two separate power limits with Afterburner, first at 115W and second at 130W. maybe these have something to do with mem fluctuations. I leave GPU memory freq at stock 7001MHz

image: GPU memory freq fluctuations, Heaven 4.0 bench with 496.49 driver. -- 466.11 driver is I believe the last driver without them ....score is 4% higher with 466.11 / without fluctuations

xeromist
Does the 466.11 also restore Vulkan for you? If so, seems like that's the one to go with, IMO.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

If you need Vulkan Runtimes, download them from here:
https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home
Click Latest Runtime/Zip

The ones included with Nvidia drivers are usually older anyway.

Triton_se
Level 8
Version V27.21.14.6173 (461.73) from Asus support is the one with Vulkan, installed it and game works, custom voltage/frequency curve also works with Afterburner, no GPU memory freq fluctuations, Heaven 4.0 bench score is 99.88% of the highest using 466.11 (89.3 vs 89.4 fps), guess I'll stick with this until game is finished.

461.73 with Vulkan support - driver is from February 2021 tho

(there is also Version V27.21.14.6235 -- 462.35, don't remember if it has Vulkan tho, and the latest is the one I tested in my first post, so 3 Nvidia drivers from Asus support for ROG Strix 2021 G17 G713QR)

EDIT // Installed 462.35, it also has Vulkan support

If your CPU is a Ryzen with integrated graphics and you want to use the latest Nvidia driver with Vulkan, you need to install a graphics driver directly from AMD site.

Shank You, it works I just installed the AMD Driver from official AMD is now Vulkan detected in GPU-Z

DonDragonka
Level 7
Here you can find another, and permanent solution for this problem...
Unable to launch Vulkan apps/game on notebooks with AMD Radeon iGPUs

DonDragonka wrote:
Here you can find another, and permanent solution for this problem...

I never tested this fix since I have Swedish language Windows and typing "Advanced System Settings" wouldnt find anything in Windows Search. But I switched to English language pack and found it, applied the fix and now Vulkan works 🙂 First I tested with driver 511.65, this driver does not fluctuate GPU memory freq like all after 466.11 have done. But 511.65 was not stable with my custom voltage/freq curve for more than a few minutes (it was little slower than 466.11 too) so I'm back to 466.11 with working Vulkan, benchmarks are best ever.

Solved: