cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Driver Update

edd080
Level 9
Hello to all, I have come across an article that was posted a couple of days ago, which seems to indicate a potential security vulnerability if the graphics driver is not updated.
Nvidia Security Bulletin can be found here the article on this can be found here .

Now I had display driver issues from Day 1 (it was actually my fault) of purchasing this laptop because I had updated the drivers directly from Nvidia and also from AMD. In doing so I was getting bsods after playing a game.
I then found out that the drivers to be installed should be the ones released from the manufacturer as they are the only drivers that are 'approved'. Nvidia also displays a warning on their website before downloading a laptop driver stating that the driver to be installed should be the one from the manufacturer.

After spending a whole day of removing both AMD and Nvidia drivers with the driver clean utility and installing only the ones from Asus I have never had any crashes.

Now my question is this; will Asus release an update for the Nvidia drivers on our notebooks? The one I currently have installed is Version 461.72. Do you just download the updated driver from Nvidia and install it?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to explain myself as much as possible. 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
AFAIK, there isn't a regular schedule for approved driver releases. If you're concerned you might want to try the Nvidia release while you wait for ASUS. I know sometimes the Nvidia releases have compatibility issues but it doesn't seem to be every time.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I will try updating the drivers and see how it goes then. Hopefully my notebook will remain stable.

xeromist
Please report back so other users can know if this is a good idea. Thank you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Please report back so other users can know if this is a good idea. Thank you.

Yes will let you know, no problem.

So after updating the graphics driver only (I did not install Geforce experience, just the driver and nvidia control panel) to version 466.27, I played a couple of games for an hour or so then exited and left the laptop on idle; so far so good I did not experience any crashes. So I am assuming the driver is safe to install.
Thanks.