cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Strix Scar II laptop GPU Perf limiter and Coil Whine problem

fsrt_
Level 7
Hi Guys!

Ibought a new Strix Scar II GL504G laptop yesterday!
Sadly I already need your help.

I've sent a ticket to the tech support team yesterday, sadly no replies as of now, so I thought my best shot is getting in touch with the community here. 🙂

I've been using a laptop with the exact same specs as my current one (i7 8750h 16gb 1060 6gb) for the past 2 weeks so I just copied the settings I know to work decent.
Set power plan and all the energy consumtion settings to prefer consistant performance, updated the drivers to the afaik best working versions, downloaded my games and started playing.

Here the issues started to pile up. The games would enter a "time slow" phase every 10 seconds for a solid 3-4 seconds. Meaning lagging unusually.
Checked the performance logs, SSD was jumping to 100%, so I've uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage tech, cleared up the Windows update leftover files, just the usual really.
After this, SSD was no longer jumping to 100% but the games still did not work properly.

Downloaded Unigine benchmarks (Heaven, Valley and Superposition) and tested the laptop:

Heaven and Valley both performed really bad ~60 FPS with minor drops but Superposition took the cake with ~30 FPS in 4k and 8k Opimised but 17 FPS in 1080p Extreme.
In Valley and Superposition GPU speed is stuck at 1700 mhz, in Heaven it goes up to 1900 mhz.

Thermal throttling was out of question, so figured it was Voltage Throttle.
Seems it doesn't get enough power to keep the GPU above 1700mhz.
Also for some reason it only shows 4GB of memory instead of 6GB, I might be wrong here, Im not that experienced with the stuff related to GPUs.

Anyways, downloaded Asus RoG Game Center and it shows the following while idle and while trying to play a game:

GPU Perf limiter switches to Power mode when the GPU needs to perform and throttles it.

My other big problem is the coil whine / loud processing noise when not doing anything. The laptop makes really loud noises, like an old HDD squeeking.
My HDD is empty and not in use so I belive there might be some electrical interference, I've heard lots of other RoG owners experience the same, any ideas how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Fsr
24 REPLIES 24

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
That seems like VRM overheating. If it's still under warranty, send it back. If it's not, try respasting and change the thermal pads/check the gaps on the vrm's.

I would recommend you guys to use your DOA warranty service by checking your warranty policy and get it replaced. If not then we can only get it serviced under RMA warranty in which the service engineers might change the motherboard or repaste. To be very honest this has been a horrible experience with Asus. Never going to recommend it to my peers and its out of my list from now on. I wish you Best of Luck.

fsrt_
Level 7
29 days have passed since I've purchased the laptop, still no solution or even a word from ASUS.
They don't reply to tickets, local retailer says its working as intended the laptop is just not a performance one.

I went to the only ASUS Service team in my Country, they checked it and told me that it is not working as intended, time to fight with the local retailer.
Consulting with a lawyer on monday.

Best of luck to you guys, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fsr (OC)

Hello Everyone,
I think I might have found the solution to my throttle problem. Not sure if you guys have tried it or not.
It also might sound stupid but this worked for me.

I just placed my laptop on a flat surface. That's it nothing else. Tested Prey game which was throttling previously plays smoothly now no lags.

Will try on other games and let you know.
Also let me know if this has worked for you guys.

TChawla wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I think I might have found the solution to my throttle problem. Not sure if you guys have tried it or not.
It also might sound stupid but this worked for me.

I just placed my laptop on a flat surface. That's it nothing else. Tested Prey game which was throttling previously plays smoothly now no lags.

Will try on other games and let you know.
Also let me know if this has worked for you guys.

You're not the only one around here that fixed the issue that way. I wonder what does that has to do with the performance.
I know my old Lenovo y510p overheats if I lean it too much, like more than 45 degrees. Probably something to do with the way heat pipes work, idk.

Maybe yours has some kind of G sensor that can tell if the laptop is leveled up or not, so it throttles the GPU/CPU based on that, to prevent overheating. Just a wild guess lol